• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Gerrit Cole (Please sign with the Angels) Thread

Chuck

1 minute ago, KevinStockerIsGod said:

It’s kind of ridiculous how it seems like the Yankees can be the only team that can make someone a priority and everyone else has to deal with it.  Cole is going to the team offering the best deal.  If that’s the Yankees, then he’ll go there, but last week I saw many people saying Moreno is all in.  It’s embarrassing how these writers bend over for the Yankees, as if the Angels or anyone else couldn’t outbid them.  

As an Angels fan, of course I want us to sign him, but until it’s official, this public fawning of the Yankees “inevitable victory” means absolutely nothing.

smug adam sandler GIF

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

You can call it desperation but the Angels are multiple players away from success while the Yankees are a guy like Cole away from being favored to win it all.  So that creates its own sort of need or desperation.
Cole is a GREAT start for the Angels, but he’s the last piece for the Yankees.  

And this is exactly why I fear Cole will choose the Yankees. 

Arte may need to tell Cole that he’s willing to spend more this offseason and that Cole is just a bigger piece of the puzzle. 

Maybe something similar to the Kawhi Leonard situation. They go out and get George for Leonard. Maybe Arte needs to go out and get Strasburg. 

After how last season ended for Cole, I’m guessing he REALLY wants to get back to the WS immediately 

44 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I’m gonna guess around 8/$280ish

Strangely, I think Bowden’s 8/288 (36aav) may end up correct. We’ll see, though. Haven’t heard any numbers yet, but it’s looking expensive. Hope Arte doesn’t cheap out. Strasburg is a poor consolation prize and we might not even get him.

1 minute ago, CanadianHalo said:

And this is exactly why I fear Cole will choose the Yankees. 

Arte may need to tell Cole that he’s willing to spend more this offseason and that Cole is just a bigger piece of the puzzle. 

Maybe something similar to the Kawhi Leonard situation. They go out and get George for Leonard. Maybe Arte needs to go out and get Strasburg. 

After how last season ended for Cole, I’m guessing he REALLY wants to get back to the WS immediately 

I’d prefer Rendon and then use 1-2 of the infielders in a trade for another pitcher. Strasburg seems less likely to be worth his contract than Rendon to me. 

To me, it’s all a matter of what’s more important to him.  Orange County, or winning.  I don’t see Friedman competing in a bidding war with us and the Yankees so that takes the Dodgers out of the equation.  Assuming the Yankees and Angels make similar offers, we can offer him the opportunity to come back home, and they can offer him the opportunity to be on a World Series contender. 

2 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

To me, it’s all a matter of what’s more important to him.  Orange County, or winning.  I don’t see Friedman competing in a bidding war with us and the Yankees so that takes the Dodgers out of the equation.  Assuming the Yankees and Angels make similar offers, we can offer him the opportunity to come back home, and they can offer him the opportunity to be on a World Series contender. 

Why can’t we offer him the option of being a World Series contender also? There’s still a lot of good free agents on the market.

Just now, Bronson said:

Why can’t we offer him the option of being a World Series contender also? There’s still a lot of good free agents on the market.

Maybe because we haven’t won a playoff game in 10 years and just lost 90 games?  

4 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Why not both? Arte better make it clear he’s bout winning or the negotiation is already over. If we don’t expect to compete even in 2020, we probably will have a hard time selling it. He’s not signing with the Angels just to play in Orange County. 

Currently, the Yankees have already committed 64.6 Million towards starting pitching before focusing on Cole for 2020.

The Dodgers have 36.4 Million committed towards starting pitching for 2020.

The Angels have 10.7 Million committed. (This includes the recent Bundy trade.)

Go Arte

3 minutes ago, Bronson said:

Last year everything that could have went wrong went wrong. That’s not really a true reflection of how good our team is.

Even if everyone were healthy, I don’t see us winning 25 more games to pass up the Rays for the WC2.  

1 minute ago, Sean-Regan said:

Eppler convinced Trout we’re competing. I don’t see the issue. Last year isn’t this year. 

Trout also wasn’t a free agent milling equal offers from better teams, and the Angels weren’t as bad in 2018 as last year.  Unless we are bringing in Strasburg and Rendon along with Cole, we cannot sell him on immediately joining a World Series contender.

3 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Eppler convinced Trout we’re competing. I don’t see the issue. Last year isn’t this year. 

If he doesn’t deliver on Cole that pitch to Trout all of sudden looks a bit fuzzy. 

There’s also pressure on Arte to get Cole for that very reason. 

3 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

I don’t even use last year as an example of our team. I look at us as an 80 win team like we were the previous 2 years before 2019. So Bundy adds 2 wins at least and Cole adds 7. Look at that we are an 89 win team and counting.

9 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Even if everyone were healthy, I don’t see us winning 25 more games to pass up the Rays for the WC2.  

Trout also wasn’t a free agent milling equal offers from better teams, and the Angels weren’t as bad in 2018 as last year.  Unless we are bringing in Strasburg and Rendon along with Cole, we cannot sell him on immediately joining a World Series contender.

Free agency isn’t relevant for Trout. He could’ve waited it out. He chose not to because he was convicted we would compete. 

Agree somewhat on the second. Thats why I think Arte should go after another top guy and spend big for 2-3 seasons. 

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Unless he really wants to play back at home I don’t think it’s going happen 

Sure it is. Make it clear we’re spending to contend and offer him more money than the others teams. Only way he should sign elsewhere is if he’s got his heart set on being a Yankee. Arte has no business being outbid. The Yankees do not have our desperate need for an ace. They want one. We need one. That ought to be the difference in money. We’ll see if it is. 

38 minutes ago, Bronson said:

I don’t even use last year as an example of our team. I look at us as an 80 win team like we were the previous 2 years before 2019. So Bundy adds 2 wins at least and Cole adds 7. Look at that we are an 89 win team and counting.

And it took 95 wins to make the playoffs in the AL.  No top AL team is going to get considerably worse unless the Astros get hit with a serious punishment, and teams like the Rangers, White Sox, and Indians (who just missed the playoffs) are all looking to improve.  And that's just getting into the playoffs.  We are not going to be able to sell Cole on immediately joining a contender like the Yankees will be able to do.  There is no possible way for us to do that, unless, like I stated previously, Strasburg and Rendon are joining him.