• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Gerrit Cole (Please sign with the Angels) Thread

Chuck

5 minutes ago, RBM said:

When/if Dylan Bundy has a breakout season and he becomes our best offseason trade then it's on me. I'll own it.

To me it is on you if he has a good solid season where he lowers his ERA below 4 and continues to give us 160-180 innings.  

11 minutes ago, RBM said:

And I’d be real happy if he does that.
My concern with the trade is if we are adding Cole and one other SP I would like to see the other SP be a clear upgrade to Heaney and Canning. And I think their 2020 ceiling is as high as Bundy’s.

I would like to see that, too, but consider the innings that they'll be replacing.  Harvey, Cahill, Barria were horrible. 

1 hour ago, Calzone 2 said:

Selling points.

Money: Anaheim = New York

Winning: New York > Anaheim 

It’s a toss up. I don’t think either team can get blamed for not signing him. 

FWIW, money will not be equal even if we out bid NY. That CA tax will take a serious bite out of any deal we offer. 

Location is all about preference too. 

16 minutes ago, HaloCory22 said:

FWIW, money will not be equal even if we out bid NY. That CA tax will take a serious bite out of any deal we offer. 

Location is all about preference too. 

Unless my estimate is wrong, the difference in taxes between NY and CA is low. The quick search I did came up with 13.3 vs 12.7 for people making over 1m a year. For 250m, that comes out to roughly 1.5m. That’s virtually even. Am I missing something?

6 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I hear you. It is reality setting in. A month ago we were dreaming of Cole-Wheeler-Grandal. Now it might be Bundy-Miley-Maldonado (e.g.).

Kind of makes me feel like:

I think it'll be Cole, Bundy and Maldonado.  

I thought one of Wheeler or Grandal was realistic but it turns out that neither was at the price we'd have had to pay.  I thought the Grandal contract was a tad high but not unreasonable.  Whereas Wheeler went for way more than I thought he would.  And considering his predilection for the east, it would have cost even more to lure him out west.  

What I really don't like are trades.  Even with Cole, I just don't think the team can absorb a big trade and have sustained winning for several years.  So now the options are to spend a super shit ton of money to get Stras or Rendon which I can't see happening and even if it does, we are pot committed for the next several years.  Or they could make that big trade and shorten any possible window of contention to 2-3 years.  Or they could go with Bundy/Cole/cheap catcher and we're back to hoping that a bunch of stuff goes right.  Or we could grab one of Ryu or Madbum who are expensive and I'm not a big fan of either and they could limit payroll.  Or the worst case scenario is that we don't end up with Cole or Stras or Rendon but sign Madbum and make a big trade which I think makes us an 85 win team.  Then we've expended a bunch of prospect capital and actual money leaving very little future flexibility.   

9 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I think it'll be Cole, Bundy and Maldonado.  

I thought one of Wheeler or Grandal was realistic but it turns out that neither was at the price we'd have had to pay.  I thought the Grandal contract was a tad high but not unreasonable.  Whereas Wheeler went for way more than I thought he would.  And considering his predilection for the east, it would have cost even more to lure him out west.  

What I really don't like are trades.  Even with Cole, I just don't think the team can absorb a big trade and have sustained winning for several years.  So now the options are to spend a super shit ton of money to get Stras or Rendon which I can't see happening and even if it does, we are pot committed for the next several years.  Or they could make that big trade and shorten any possible window of contention to 2-3 years.  Or they could go with Bundy/Cole/cheap catcher and we're back to hoping that a bunch of stuff goes right.  Or we could grab one of Ryu or Madbum who are expensive and I'm not a big fan of either and they could limit payroll.  Or the worst case scenario is that we don't end up with Cole or Stras or Rendon but sign Madbum and make a big trade which I think makes us an 85 win team.  Then we've expended a bunch of prospect capital and actual money leaving very little future flexibility.   

Yeah, that outlines my view--and fears--pretty closely. It really feels like the next month or two will define the franchise for the next few years. That makes this moment rather disconcerting; I mean, come March next year we could be gearing up for a legimitate playoff run, or we could be buckling up for another year or two of mediocrity while we put all our chips in the farm system. Or worse, Eppler panics and tries to preserve his job by signing the wrong free agents and/or trading the farm. Lots of moving parts right now, and the biggest determinant is Gerrit Cole. 

12 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yeah, that outlines my view--and fears--pretty closely. It really feels like the next month or two will define the franchise for the next few years. That makes this moment rather disconcerting; I mean, come March next year we could be gearing up for a legimitate playoff run, or we could be buckling up for another year or two of mediocrity while we put all our chips in the farm system. Or worse, Eppler panics and tries to preserve his job by signing the wrong free agents and/or trading the farm. Lots of moving parts right now, and the biggest determinant is Gerrit Cole. 

Cashman is just trolling his former apprentice. 

18 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

we all knew that timing was going to be important for things to play out in our favor and it's gone about the opposite of what I had hoped for so far.  I can't totally blame Eppler for that.  I had a feeling that when Grandal signed it was the start of an unfortunate timeline.  In retrospect, we probably should have made a move for him.  Oh well.  I just hope Billy doesn't panic like you said.  That could be disastrous.  

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

seriously though.  

I'm just not loving where I see things going right now.  

8 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I hear you. It is reality setting in. A month ago we were dreaming of Cole-Wheeler-Grandal. Now it might be Bundy-Miley-Maldonado (e.g.).

Yeah the Wheeler thing was a gut-punch.

It's like, "here we go again" with the Angels missing the boat.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Yeah the Wheeler thing was a gut-punch.

It's like, "here we go again" with the Angels missing the boat.

Sounds like the Angels were never really in the running.  This is not a "here we go again" situation.  There has been great discussion about Cole's leanings towards a west coast team if everything is equal.  If the Yankees really want Cola, they will need to theoretically overpay to change this "if everything is equal" idea.  It would not surprise me to find out that Eppler made an equivalent offer to Wheeler but chose to stay on the east coast for family reasons.  Which is exactly why Trout will sign with the Phillies the first chance he gets.

3 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Can you guys explain again why you have been so sure (up to now) that Cole was going to sign here?

Fletcher has let us know it is a real possibility based on conversations with Cole and people in the Angel organization. 

He grew up in Orange County and went to high school at Orange Lutheran.

His team mates on the Astros said they thought he would end up on the west coast.

Every media outlet predicted he would sign with the Angels.

Most recently someone pointed out that is wife apparently posts on her IG account about Newport Beach regularly (this is the one yk will actually focus on is my guess)

Arte saying he will increase payroll and Angels need for a starter.

Trout signing an extension with and understanding of the direction of the team so we as fans assumed that direction meant signing better players.  

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Fletcher has let us know it is a real possibility based on conversations with Cole and people in the Angel organization. 

He grew up in Orange County and went to high school at Orange Lutheran.

His team mates on the Astros said they thought he would end up on the west coast.

Every media outlet predicted he would sign with the Angels.

Most recently someone pointed out that is wife apparently posts on her IG account about Newport Beach regularly (this is the one yk will actually focus on is my guess)

Arte saying he will increase payroll and Angels need for a starter.

Trout signing an extension with and understanding of the direction of the team so we as fans assumed that direction meant signing better players.  

Even if you take all the west coast scuttlebutt as gospel, (I don't), that leaves you as 50-50 with the Dodgers.  He spent a few years living in Westwood.

Trout grew up in the shadow of the Phillies and to a lesser extent, the NY teams.

Stealth happens a lot.  Nobody knew ahead of some of the big Angels signings the last few decades.  So 'word out there' doesn't mean that much to me.

I actually do think the wife's IG account is an interesting data point.

None of this info leads me to think its even close to a slam dunk.  

But you guys follow this a lot more closely than me.