• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Eppler is for sure on the hot seat now...

Second Base

The guy he specifically brought in and groomed to be the best manager, spent a year familiarizing himself with philosophies of Eppler, the prospects on the farm, analytics and was handed a three year contract by Eppler himself was just shown the door.

To me, that's a clear signal from Arte. "Win, Billy. Or else."

What concerns me more: Last year, most of Eppler’s interviews were with guys without managerial experience. Now we hear after Ausmus is let go that the Angels are looking for someone with a lot of experience. That implies to me that Arte is on the same page as Team Whine Country Club on this site. That means Eppler has very little autonomy to do his job. In case anyone needs a reminder, bad things happen when Arte meddles in things he knows jack about. 

8 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

What concerns me more: Last year, most of Eppler’s interviews were with guys without managerial experience. Now we hear after Ausmus is let go that the Angels are looking for someone with a lot of experience. That implies to me that Arte is on the same page as Team Whine Country Club on this site. That means Eppler has very little autonomy to do his job. In case anyone needs a reminder, bad things happen when Arte meddles in things he knows jack about. 

He let Eppler do his thing with hiring Ausmus and it turned to shit. This was even before we lost Trout, Ohtani and Upton to injuries. The best thing he can do is put Eppler on the hot seat and also open up his pocketbook. 

Here's a theory:

1. Eppler wanted Maddon

2. Scioscia didn't want a one-year deal

3. Ausmus would only sign for three years and Eppler wanted someone easy to fire if Maddon became available

4. Yesterday and today happened

Just kidding. It's gonna be Girardi or Washington.

8 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Arte let Eppler do his thing and hire a manager that Eppler wanted and clearly it didn't work. I don't mind Arte stepping in on this one. 

I like Eppler, he is certainly better than Reagins or DiPoto....but it kind of begs the question: do you want your owner to hire the manager or the GM?  If I'm an owner and my GM makes a bad managerial hire, I think I might have some pause about my GM, rather than making a managerial hire myself....

At some point, the results have to start showing up in the W/L record, after 4 straight seasons of under .500 finishes (first time since the 1970s).

The farm is being solidified.   Now, the next domino needs to fall.     Get Cole and one solid enough innings starter in here, and if team health finally improves, hopefully WC contention is the rule for 2020.     

8 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

You might want to review what happens when Arte steps in, junior. It always ends badly.

No question that is true....but, that said, Maddon as a hire seems like a good move....so maybe a fumbling GM wannabe owner can make a good hire, occasionally....

14 minutes ago, DMVol said:

No question that is true....but, that said, Maddon as a hire seems like a good move....so maybe a fumbling GM wannabe owner can make a good hire, occasionally....

If the end result is Maddon getting hired, things could be a lot worse. But it does concern me what that says about Eppler's ability to do his job. 

I will say this....I thought the Angels fitting Ausmus after him being groomed and changing direction so quickly to hire Joe Maddon was a pipe dream. 

It's what I would've done, but rarely are major league teams ever this bold in their moves.

Now.... It looks like this seems highly plausible. Joe Maddon, manager of the Angels.... Like it was meant to be.

I don't think Ausmus got fired because of stuff we don't know about.

I think Arte could be embarrassed about losing 90 games for the first time in his ownership tenure and decided someone needed to answer for it.

I think Arte could agree with the dumbass contingent that Ausmus' pitching decisions were a problem - like having a quick hook, or his bullpen management (spoiler: they weren't a problem) - and wants an experienced manager so that Eppler has less say in what goes on in game. 

I think that unless things go really well next season, Arte will be back to full on meddling, Eppler will be gone, we'll have some dumbass like Dumbrowski in charge, and we can kiss any shot at competing in the next decade goodbye. 

If Arte intervened, it is well within his rights to demand more progress.  Many people are assuming that Arte fired Ausmus but I believe Eppler fired Ausmus.  I also will argue that it was Eppler who went to Arte asking to fire Ausmus.

I can't remember anyone officially being fired by Arte.  He usually lets the person's contract run out.  I think this is Eppler trying to do an expensive Mulligan.

My first narrative!!!

25 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

I don't think Ausmus got fired because of stuff we don't know about.

I think Arte could be embarrassed about losing 90 games for the first time in his ownership tenure and decided someone needed to answer for it.

I think Arte could agree with the dumbass contingent that Ausmus' pitching decisions were a problem - like having a quick hook, or his bullpen management (spoiler: they weren't a problem) - and wants an experienced manager so that Eppler has less say in what goes on in game. 

I think that unless things go really well next season, Arte will be back to full on meddling, Eppler will be gone, we'll have some dumbass like Dumbrowski in charge, and we can kiss any shot at competing in the next decade goodbye. 

This has been true over the years of any organization.  Fire the manager after a poor season.  It doesn't make sense, but then again it does because something changed.

I really doubt that Ausmus gets another managing gig.  Of course I thought that about Collins and the Mets hired him.

8 minutes ago, eligrba said:

If Arte intervened, it is well within his rights to demand more progress.  Many people are assuming that Arte fired Ausmus but I believe Eppler fired Ausmus.  I also will argue that it was Eppler who went to Arte asking to fire Ausmus.

I can't remember anyone officially being fired by Arte.  He usually lets the person's contract run out.  I think this is Eppler trying to do an expensive Mulligan.

My first narrative!!!

I believe you're right.  Or rather, I *hope* you're right, that Eppler made the decision to fire.  A GM no one else wants may put up with ownership interfering in these matters and undermining his authority -- but good ones won't.    

Interfering owners leads to hiring incompetent yes-men leads to the Orioles.  

If Ausmus made the decision without any pressure from Arte, it's got to be a little more than what happened on the field - he would have had to go to Arte to say "I made a mistake - and it's gonna cost you two years of his salary."  There's not a manager in history that would've moved the needle much on this bad team.    

I suspect Eppler talked to some guys - like Trout, Albert, and asked "what do you think?" 

And the answers he got are reflected in his decision to eat 2 years salary.