• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gerrit Cole seems to be a must signing.

On 6/21/2019 at 2:03 PM, Inside Pitch said:

Well, it's always nice to see confirmation of the plan having been what many of us believed it to be.  Obviously they can't act as if it's a done deal, but at least they are better positioned to make things happen which is what we were all hoping would  be the case.

That’s good to hear specially for the fact that the Angels still spent good money this season with Harvey, Cahill, Lucroy, Bour....

things are finally started to look better for 2020

On 6/21/2019 at 3:11 PM, Dochalo said:

Albert +1
Upton +3
Simmons +2

Arb increases of about 10 mil or so.  

+16

Harvey -11
Cahill -9
Allen -8.5
Lucroy -3.35
Calhoun -9.5

they probably let Bour (2.5 now), Garcia (1.68 now) walk

Back of the Napkin math I see about 30 mil to spend in order to get to the 170ish they are at right now.  

If Arte is willing to go up to 190m, that would be a real nice chunk to spend

Especially if you can back load a couple contracts to PAP (post Albert Pujols).  

Cole at 6/180 (probably gonna get more than that) with first two years at 22/23 m

Grandal at 3/42 with 12, 15 m

A reliever for a few mil.  

Off season done.  

Cole, Ohtani, Canning, Heaney, Skaggs, Suarez (6)
Robles, Buttrey, Middleton, Anderson, FA, Pena, Cam, Noe or JC (8)
Bench of Smith, Goodwin, Albert, and a guy like Tovar (4)
La Stella 1b
Trout CF
Ohtani DH
Upton LF
Grandal C
Simmons SS
Adell RF
Rengifo 2b
Fletcher 3b

Sick lineup bro.  

Herm or some other OFer platoons with Goodwin in RF for a month or so till Adell is called up. 
need some pen depth so Eppler will have to work his waiver wire option magic.  

Championship!

I actually love this plan but Arte is not going to spend $190M so either Cole or Grandal is getting CHOPPED off of this list. Unless Albert surprises us with some salary relief. 

1 hour ago, Calzone 2 said:

I actually love this plan but Arte is not going to spend $190M so either Cole or Grandal is getting CHOPPED off of this list. Unless Albert surprises us with some salary relief. 

I think you’ll be surprised if they actually get their top targets. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2019 at 12:13 PM, Glen said:

There will be a handful of teams seriously interested in him, which means he'll be overpaid. I don't see the Angels getting involved in a bidding war.

This is the time and Cole is the one. We spent so much money on Trout and led him to believe we would do what ever it will take to win a pennant and win the WS. There won't be many chances to get an arm of Cole's ability. We need to strike while the iron is hot.

On 6/21/2019 at 1:49 PM, Angel Oracle said:

I get it from the actual payroll for 2020 vs 2019 standpoint.   From the AAV standpoint, is where it's closer to $50 million.

Are you taking the savings of paying Adell over Calhoun's $9 to 14M? We are saving ~$34M by not paying Harvey, Cahill, Allen, and Boar etc...

On 6/21/2019 at 12:25 PM, Inside Pitch said:

So, what you're saying is that you havent actually seen anything? -- That you're basing what they will do next year on what they did this year?   Thanks, that's what I thought.   

Unlike you, I believed they had a plan in place that went beyond this year.  Unlike you I firmly believed that plan was built on successfully graduating players to MLB (and all the benefits that come with it), and resigning Mike Trout.   Maybe more importantly I was paying attention when it was reported the Angels swung and missed on pitchers who ultimately ended up costing a lot of money -- not because the Angels were reluctant to spend but because those pitchers didn't want to come to Anaheim.

It's pointless to even attempt to engage in this conversation if you think the situation going into 2019 and the one going into 2020 are the same.

I'll believe they won't spend when they say as much.  You're gonna believe what you believe and that's cool too.

So you're both assuming got it. It will be interesting to see what happens. Hopefully they sign some top of the line starting pitchers. But time will tell. 

37 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

So you're both assuming got it. It will be interesting to see what happens. Hopefully they sign some top of the line starting pitchers. But time will tell. 

I'm not assuming anything you dolt.  I'm saying I wont assume they won't spend until they say they publicly say as much.  .    Mike Trout is signed. The Angels graduated players.  They tried to sign higher profile people and failed -- and they actually did spend 34 million on 5 guys -- all of those things are facts.

Basically, all you did was repeat what I said -- that we will have to wait and see what they actually do.

Gerritt Cole will be massively too expensive for the Angels. But even if that hurdle could be overcome, the big question remains: Why would Gerritt Cole sign with a team that essentially has no starting ROTATION outside of himself if he signed? I just break into mindless chuckles when I think of what the Angels' sales pitch to Cole would be.

6 minutes ago, eligrba4ever said:

Gerritt Cole will be massively too expensive for the Angels. But even if that hurdle could be overcome, the big question remains: Why would Gerritt Cole sign with a team that essentially has no starting ROTATION outside of himself if he signed? I just break into mindless chuckles when I think of what the Angels' sales pitch to Cole would be.

Wait, are you underestimating my lunch skills?

Dude.

13 minutes ago, eligrba4ever said:

If he signs here, it might be for the same reasons Ohtani signed here.  That one didn't sound very realistic either, did it?

Just now, tomsred said:

If he signs here, it might be for the same reasons Ohtani signed here.  Thgt one didn't sound very realistic either, did it?

The Dodgers could not offer Shohei the DH option.

Sadly, the Dodgers CAN offer Gerritt Cole the locker next to Kershaw, Maeda, Buehler and Ryu. And front-runner status in the postseason odds chart.