• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gerrit Cole seems to be a must signing.

Look for other possible ways to upgrade our pitching, took a look at the NPB - don't see much, but maybe Eppler's NPB relationship can get the Hawks to relent: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2019/01/30/baseball/japanese-baseball/pitcher-kodai-senga-says-hawks-refuse-budge-posting/#.XUxgS-hKhPY

No Cole, by any stretch - but wants to play here, and has the stuff - up to 96 mph fastball, and a nasty forkball - to be a mid-to-back-end starter or more likely, a closer?  

The other NPB pitching prospect doesn't sound like he's coming:  https://calltothepen.com/2019/07/06/takahiro-norimoto-may-not-come-majors/

Great stuff, but undersized, and predictably, injured and coming off elbow surgery, I'm sure teams would be pretty skeptical ...

We have such an overwhelming need for pitching - having to put all of our eggs on signing a Boras client definitely stings ...

1 hour ago, Calzone 2 said:

I would love to see that happen but he’s going to go the the highest bidder. He’s  talented enough to get a huge deal on the open market. The Angels will obviously consider him a priority but it may get near the $200M range. 

Why?  Why is he going to the highest bidder?  How will you know if he doesn’t go to the highest bidder?  

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Except that it could be AT LEAST 2022, before anyone from that group can truly front a rotation, due to needing to build up innings pitched.

@Jeff Fletcher can we get some confirmation of this narrative that all our pitchers will be on a strict pitch count until 2022? Thanks.

46 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Why?  Why is he going to the highest bidder?  How will you know if he doesn’t go to the highest bidder?  

Because if Burger King offered you  a 50% raise, picked up 100% of your medical, dental and vision, 401K, life insurance, offered you stock, company car, travel expenses and In-n-out said no to match it you would be flipping Whoppers instead of Double-Doubles. 

4 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

Because if Burger King offered you  a 50% raise, picked up 100% of your medical, dental and vision, 401K, life insurance, offered you stock, company car, travel expenses and In-n-out said no to match it you would be flipping Whoppers instead of Double-Doubles. 

That has literally nothing to do with his post. God dammit Claude you're turning me into Stradling Jr.

21 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

Funny how when the subject was Trout, you couldn't stop talking about all the non baseball stuff that was likely going to draw him back East, this despite Trout never talking the possibility up...  Meanwhile Cole has in fact talked up the possibility of playing at home and being able to hug his mom after games yet suddenly it's strictly going to be about the dollars.

Fwiw, I too think he goes to the highest bidder, I just find your current take to be funny given your previous statements.

I think if the Angels are pretty close to the highest bidder he will choose the Angels. If the highest bidder is much much higher than what the Angels offer, then he'll go there. Heck, I would, as would most people. 

That said, I think he'll sign with the Angels shortly after FA openings in the offseason. I'm guessing now that Arte has seen enough of our crappy starting pitching he knows he needs to sign a top tier guy if he wants to even sniff the playoffs again. 

9 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Funny how when the subject was Trout, you couldn't stop talking about all the non baseball stuff that was likely going to draw him back East, this despite Trout never talking the possibility up...  Meanwhile Cole has in fact talked up the possibility of playing at home and being able to hug his mom after games yet suddenly it's strictly going to be about the dollars.

Fwiw, I too think he goes to the highest bidder, I just find your current take to be funny given your previous statements.

Hey I’m all for Cole signing here. We need him and more. I just think that he’s going to get a big payday and the Angels will have stiff competition. That guy is a great pitcher. Hopefully the Angels will be picking up the tab. 

Edited by Calzone 2

40 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

No, I wouldn’t.  Once again you’re projecting. 

1 minute ago, Calzone 2 said:

Hey I’m all for Cole signing here. We need him and more. I’m just think that he’s going to get a big payday and the Angels will have stiff competition. That guy is a great pitcher. Hopefully the Angels will be picking up the tab. 

Honestly you're in a good spot regardless of what happens.  If they do end up signing him then you can flip the switch and start in on how other teams find players without having to outbid everyone else.  If they don't, you can post more memes about Eppler begging Arte for money.

19 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I think if the Angels are pretty close to the highest bidder he will choose the Angels. If the highest bidder is much much higher than what the Angels offer, then he'll go there. Heck, I would, as would most people. 

That said, I think he'll sign with the Angels shortly after FA openings in the offseason. I'm guessing now that Arte has seen enough of our crappy starting pitching he knows he needs to sign a top tier guy if he wants to even sniff the playoffs again. 

I don't know what he will do regardless of whatever hints he may drop or what gets reported. 

I just dont want them to play Boras' games and hold off making moves as he drags things out.  Sign a pitcher, then make Cole the focus but they can't put all their eggs in that basket and end up being this winter's White Sox.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I still look at Corbin's stats from 2016-2018 (bad two years, good 2018), and still am amazed that he got 6 years/$140 million off one excellent season that followed two bad seasons.    Cole isn't Corbin, two ace caliber seasons since arriving in Houston that followed seasons that were much more consistent than Corbin's were.   And people still ask why the Halos didn't sign Corbin?

Cole after May 22 has pitched 6 or 7 innings in EVERY start, and every one except one a QS.    In only one of those starts, has he exceeded 110 pitches. 

Currently on a 10 game winning streak in that period of time

Talk about a consistency that is totally lacking here?   Over those 91 innings: 2.00 ERA and 0.90 WHIP

6 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I don't know what he will do regardless of whatever hints he may drop or what gets reported. 

I just dont want them to play Boras' games and hold off making moves as he drags things out.  Sign a pitcher, then make Cole the focus but they can't put all their eggs in that basket and end up being this winter's White Sox.

Exactly. I hope he chooses fast. Get an idea quickly on what the market is for him and how high people will go, then the Angels tell Boras and Cole that he's their top priority and here's what they'll pay, but they would like to move quick and sign him so they can address other needs and continue to improve their rotation. 

28 minutes ago, Stradling said:

No, I wouldn’t.  Once again you’re projecting. 

This same thing happened when you told me what I would do in a certain situation in another thread and post. I am not all about the money. Most baseball players are though. I think what the poster was getting at is that MOST people if offered all the Burger King offered them would leave In n out for Burger King. It turns out, you are not most people but the majority of people generally leave for more money and better benefits. If I had a contract like Albert Pujols and I was stinking up the joint, I would have retired last year. Most people are like Pujols though and will continue to play and get paid despite being a huge rip off. The poster is assuming that Cole is all about the most money like MOST people out there.