• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gerrit Cole seems to be a must signing.

47 minutes ago, eligrba4ever said:

Gerritt Cole will be massively too expensive for the Angels. But even if that hurdle could be overcome, the big question remains: Why would Gerritt Cole sign with a team that essentially has no starting ROTATION outside of himself if he signed? I just break into mindless chuckles when I think of what the Angels' sales pitch to Cole would be.

I mean I get how bad it feels right now... 

but next year we will be looking at an Ohtani, Canning, Heaney, Suarez, Barria depth chart with a ton of money to spend. If we traded for a starter and signed a FA we are starting to feel pretty solid about this team. Be patient 

No, he is not too expensive for the Angels. Actually, due to need, relatively speaking, he’d be less expensive for us than probably any other team. 

Also, people need to quit pointing at the Dodgers and Yankees. Neither has shown any inclination to spend to the max for a FA. Why do you think Corbin is playing in Washington? And unlike the Angels, the Yankees could afford to spend big and they were considered a contender. There was zero reason for them not to go all in except for holding to a limit on how much they’re willing to spend on a FA SP. Dodgers these days seem to be the same story. 

2 minutes ago, TroutField said:

but next year we will be looking at an Ohtani, Canning, Heaney, Suarez, Barria depth chart with a ton of money to spend. If we traded for a starter and signed a FA we are starting to feel pretty solid about this team. Be patient 

I hope Ohtani can pitch more than on Suindays, but that would also cut his DH time. The rest of your list is completely aspirational.

6 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

No, he is not too expensive for the Angels. Actually, due to need, relatively speaking, he’d be less expensive for us than probably any other team. 

Also, people need to quit pointing at the Dodgers and Yankees. Neither has shown any inclination to spend to the max for a FA. Why do you think Corbin is playing in Washington? And unlike the Angels, the Yankees could afford to spend big and they were considered a contender. There was zero reason for them not to go all in except for holding to a limit on how much they’re willing to spend on a FA SP. Dodgers these days seem to be the same story. 

Doubtful if the Dodgers are in on Cole ... the Yankees are interested imo. There will be more than a few teams in on Cole.

The problem is his agent ... who will drag the signing process into May. ? Eppler’s likes to get things done early with FA’s. Waiting on Cole may cause the Angels to pass on other starters of interest. 

Eppler may have to put a deadline on his offer. 

1 hour ago, eligrba4ever said:

Gerritt Cole will be massively too expensive for the Angels. But even if that hurdle could be overcome, the big question remains: Why would Gerritt Cole sign with a team that essentially has no starting ROTATION outside of himself if he signed? I just break into mindless chuckles when I think of what the Angels' sales pitch to Cole would be.

They need to do something drastic and like having their DH pitch.

40 minutes ago, eligrba4ever said:

The Dodgers could not offer Shohei the DH option.

Sadly, the Dodgers CAN offer Gerritt Cole the locker next to Kershaw, Maeda, Buehler and Ryu. And front-runner status in the postseason odds chart.

I guess it might come down to whether you want to be an equal in very good rotation, or if you want to be "the key piece" in the rotation.  If the latter you will get the big games, and everything gets structured around you.  He also gets to play with the best player in the game, and in front of family and friends where he grew up.  If he has no confidence in the Angels' plan, front office or his teammates, then the Angels will not get him.  Eppler fired up Ohtani and Trout and they seem committed, I think there is a chance he can do it with Cole.  But it's hard to handicap the chances at this point.  Right now he's not thinking about any of that, he wants to win the World Series with Houston.  I'm not sure how Houston views it, but I would venture to guess that Verlander and Greinke are numbers 1 and 2 respectively based on their veteran experience.  Cole fits more into their future than either of those veterans however.

The big wild card is Boras, he will throw a monkey wrench into the best of plans.  

1 hour ago, eligrba4ever said:

The Dodgers could not offer Shohei the DH option.

Sadly, the Dodgers CAN offer Gerritt Cole the locker next to Kershaw, Maeda, Buehler and Ryu. And front-runner status in the postseason odds chart.

I don’t think he gives a shit about a locker next to Kershaw and Buehler.  

He’s got a locker next to Verlander and Greinke right now.  If that’s what he cares about why the hell would he leave Houston ? 

I hope the Astros win the World Series so this guy can forget about that bullshit and come home and get paid by the Angels.  Hopefully win another with Trout and Ohtani. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

29 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

He’s got a locker next to Verlander and Greinke right now.  If that’s what he cares about why the hell would he leave Houston ? 

I hope the Astros win the World Series so this guy can forget about that bullshit and come home and get paid by the Angels.  Hopefully win another with Trout and Ohtani. 

I think Houston would have to go outside their normal spending habits to re-sign him. He’s not going to be on the Astros next season with that Greinke deal already in place. But there are some contending teams out there besides us with some loose change.

11 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

I think Houston would have to go outside their normal spending habits to re-sign him. He’s not going to be on the Astros next season with that Greinke deal already in place. But there are some contending teams out there besides us with some loose change.

I just mean if having his locker next to messiah pitchers is so important to him he can just stay in Houston. 

10 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Cole can get a ring with Houston and come "home" and fit into a rotation that is already close to the one he is already in. Maybe he DOES give a shit about that kind of thing.

10 minutes ago, eligrba4ever said:

Cole can get a ring with Houston and come "home" and fit into a rotation that is already close to the one he is already in. Maybe he DOES give a shit about that kind of thing.

I don’t think we have a Verlander - Greinke - Miley type of rotation. 

12 hours ago, TroutField said:

Except that it could be AT LEAST 2022, before anyone from that group can truly front a rotation, due to needing to build up innings pitched.

Remember that the FO has intimated that once most everything is in place, money is less of an object.   Starting pitching is the ONLY weakness now. 

This excerpt from the earlier LA Times article says it all.

"Not only would the Angels have room under the $208-million luxury-tax threshold to add Cole, they could sign another quality starter to a short-term deal. Such upgrades would push Heaney, Felix Pena and youngsters Jaime Barria and Griffin Canning to the middle and back of the rotation, where they belong. And Shohei Ohtani can return to the mound for the first time since his 2018 Tommy John surgery without the pressure of heading the rotation."

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I think he's referring to the Dogs rotation.

Still, this is the time for him to come back to his true home of O.C.

I would love to see that happen but he’s going to go the the highest bidder. He’s  talented enough to get a huge deal on the open market. The Angels will obviously consider him a priority but it may get near the $200M range. 

Edited by Calzone 2