• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

New Angels Stadium in Long Beach?

ettin

11 minutes ago, red321 said:

If you were to ask...what would be the worst place I could put a stadium in regards to ease of access...you probably couldn't find a better spot. 710 is the closest freeway, and is down to something like 2 lanes feeding into the waterfront area. Can feed people down side streets that are, at best, 2 lanes with no left hand turn signals.

Access from the south would be through Belmont Shores and Ocean or taking the 405 North through one of it's busiest stretches.  Access from North Orange County and IE would be the 22 and then feeding through side streets.

That would just be a total clusterfuck

Santa Monica?

9 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

My wife and I had dinner at the fancy L'Opera years ago in downtown long beach.  And looked out the window at a homeless guy dry humping the Metro ticket machine.

All in all -- that's a solid night out.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

2 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

If anyone is familiar with Long Beach - there are 6 or 7 exits off the 405 that can get you down there.  Some of those streets get down to literally one lane south of PCH.  Like if you drive a Suburban or similar large vehicle, you are almost worried about sideswiping parked cars as you are driving on Cherry or Orange.

When I worked in downtown Long Beach I was also going to school at CSULB.  Coming from the south getting to CSULB was easy because I could take the 405 or PCH.  Getting to work was another story because whether I took PCH or the 405 once I got past the school as you mentioned some of those streets get down to 1 or 2 lanes.  I used to get to work at 7am so that I also got off somewhat early and that helped me avoid some of the traffic.  Later that office moved to Cerritos and no matter what time I left after about 3pm during the week the 605 to 405 interchange was backed up.  I don't make those drives any more but I imagine they haven't gotten any better and a MLB stadium in downtown Long Beach wouldn't help the traffic.

What pisses me off is how the Rangers can get 2 new ballparks in only 30 years even though the current one they have is actually is still modern and in great condition, and yet they will get a new and better one anyway. Meanwhile the angels still have the same old crappy stadium for 53 years.

And if it's because of taxes, then how the hell did the Giants and Padres both get new ballparks? 

I'd hate for the angels to leave Anaheim, but if the city wont give them a new park, then it's time to move the team somewhere else.

1 minute ago, JarsOfClay said:

What pisses me off is how the Rangers can get 2 new ballparks in only 30 years even though the current one they have is actually is still modern and in great condition, and yet they will get a new and better one anyway. Meanwhile the angels still have the same old crappy stadium for 53 years.

And if it's because of taxes, then how the hell did the Giants and Padres both get new ballparks? 

I'd hate for the angels to leave Anaheim, but if the city wont give them a new park, then it's time to move the team somewhere else.

Not sure i agree with this, the place has been upgraded and given multiple facelifts, its not as though its still as it was back then or anything.  It may not have all the ultra modern stuff but honestly, what else do you think it needs?  It has lux boxes that were added and such for example. 
Its a perfect location for travel, even has a darned train depot, hugely built up surrounding community... what does it not have at this point?

The attitude around publicly funded stadiums has changed quite a bit in the last decade or so.  Some studies done have shown the city (i.e. taxpayer) doesn't recoup the cost.  I don't blame any city that doesn't simply want to give up land or hundreds of millions of dollars towards a stadium or stadium renovations.  Proposing a site is one thing but getting voters to go along with what it takes to get the deal done could be a separate issue in itself and I'm pretty sure there's recent cases were voters voted against public funding.  

9 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

I think the answer is pretty clear...Texas is lovely in the summertime, enjoy

City of Long Beach is running deficits.  Those pensions don't pay for themselves.

https://www.presstelegram.com/2017/12/27/why-long-beach-is-facing-major-budget-deficits-through-2021/

This is all a non starter.  Super Republican, small government Arte needs to find a sucker municipality for him to feed at the trough.  It isn't Long Beach.

Edited by yk9001

42 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

The Giants' stadium was built with ZERO public funds....   I believe it was the first time that had happened..  

56 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

When I worked in downtown Long Beach I was also going to school at CSULB.  Coming from the south getting to CSULB was easy because I could take the 405 or PCH.  Getting to work was another story because whether I took PCH or the 405 once I got past the school as you mentioned some of those streets get down to 1 or 2 lanes.  I used to get to work at 7am so that I also got off somewhat early and that helped me avoid some of the traffic.  Later that office moved to Cerritos and no matter what time I left after about 3pm during the week the 605 to 405 interchange was backed up.  I don't make those drives any more but I imagine they haven't gotten any better and a MLB stadium in downtown Long Beach wouldn't help the traffic.

It wasn't too bad back in my day, when living on campus and working at the old Sears store on Long Beach Blvd. in the mid/late 1970s.   Today is a whole other story though.

2 hours ago, yk9001 said:

elephant-lot.png

They fit a temporary swim stadium in that space for the US Olympic Trials a decade plus ago.

Barely.

Not sure I am seeing how a baseball stadium is going to fit in there.

And I've seen the average age of a major league baseball fan.  The Blue Line stop is a decent walk from there.

They would almost have to tear the Long Beach Arena down.   It is some 57 years old, what the LA Sports Arena basically was when it was torn down.

12 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

It’s Monday night mang, AO is busy

0C1A27B2-595E-43AC-AA54-C0421822F46A.gif.9e5841906247793d1e9091eaada575b6.gif

Yep, got to see Roman Reigns' return from fighting leukemia into remission.   He Stone Cold Stunnered it good! 

On that subject, I highly recommend Fighting With My Family.   I would give it an 8 or 9, out of 10.   Doesn't suck either that I got to meet Paige almost 4 years ago at the Yard House near Staples Center.

I really hope this doesn't happen.  While it would be cool to be in a new stadium with a waterfront view, the location sucks for many fans.  The 710 is a nightmare having to share those lanes with port traffic, and the 405 is always such a pleasant drive during rush hour too.  The surface streets and routes from the 22 aren't any better.  Arte would surely lose a lot of season seat holders from South OC, and I wonder if he could replace them being so much closer to Doyerland.   All these consecutive years of 3 million fans, you'd be crazy to tinker with that.  I hope it is just a tactic in negotiations with Anaheim, and I hope it gets them to loosen up so that area around the current stadium can be revitalized and a new stadium can replace the current with better plate alignment.  (Coming down to Tustin would be cool too, 5, 405, 133, rail....)

13 minutes ago, mancini79 said:

I'm not concerned about the size of land or parking. Petco and SF figured it out. The biggest problem is redesigning the roads. I'm sure city planners will require widening of roads and freeway exits to accommodate stadium traffic. I don't see how they can get the land for that.

This is an interesting question. I think it would genuinely be interesting to see what happens moving forward, if these talks are for real. Even if the Angels don't put a stadium here, LB should consider re-doing their roads and freeways. All of the infrastructure was out of date 50 years ago - at this point it just sad. The city feels like it is getting bigger, and there will be more attention on it as we get closer to the Olympics. I could see this stadium as being a 'launching point' for talks of updating the roads in LB.

7 minutes ago, krAbs said:

This is an interesting question. I think it would genuinely be interesting to see what happens moving forward, if these talks are for real. Even if the Angels don't put a stadium here, LB should consider re-doing their roads and freeways. All of the infrastructure was out of date 50 years ago - at this point it just sad. The city feels like it is getting bigger, and there will be more attention on it as we get closer to the Olympics. I could see this stadium as being a 'launching point' for talks of updating the roads in LB.

The roads for cars are shrinking in Long Beach.  More bike lanes.

1 hour ago, JarsOfClay said:

Petco was paid for by hotel taxes.  There is a certain small company in town that taxes the shit out of hotel taxes already.  

Giants paid for their stadium completely on their own dime. Although I think they got the land.  But if I remember correctly, where the stadium was located was a dump prior to construction.