• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

New Angels Stadium in Long Beach?

ettin

7 hours ago, yk9001 said:

My wife and I had dinner at the fancy L'Opera years ago in downtown long beach.  And looked out the window at a homeless guy dry humping the Metro ticket machine.

You do know you don't have to watch him perform the act for longer than 5 seconds yes? :D

7 hours ago, yk9001 said:

My wife and I had dinner at the fancy L'Opera years ago in downtown long beach.  And looked out the window at a homeless guy dry humping the Metro ticket machine.

That's what I call running a train on someone.

9 hours ago, yk9001 said:

If anyone is familiar with Long Beach - there are 6 or 7 exits off the 405 that can get you down there.  Some of those streets get down to literally one lane south of PCH.  Like if you drive a Suburban or similar large vehicle, you are almost worried about sideswiping parked cars as you are driving on Cherry or Orange.

You also go through some questionable neighborhoods as you're heading to and from downtown on those North/South streets. But yeah, the traffic would be horrendous on game nights. Those streets (and some East/West ones like Anaheim) are normally jammed at rush hour, which is when people would be heading to the game. And your point about the narrow streets is spot on.

3 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

At least you get to worry about the 3 different gangs that claim that area though. Anaheim is just so boring.

Anaheim Street and Cherry Avenue is ground zero for the Asian (read: Cambodian) gangs. But I suppose if you have 40,000 people driving through there at 10 pm the gangsters would give way. But don't let your car break down there after the game. 

2 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Anaheim Street and Cherry Avenue is ground zero for the Asian (read: Cambodian) gangs. But I suppose if you have 40,000 people driving through there at 10 pm the gangsters would give way. But don't let your car break down there after the game. 

I never make it west on Anaheim past Temple.

7 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

You look at the fact that the Rams and Clippers have owners that are financing their own stadiums...yeah, I can't blame Anaheim for telling Arte to get bent actually.

where are the clippers building a new arena? this is news to me.

The idea of a Long Beach stadium is nice but I don't see how it would work.  I'll be interested to see their ideas.

I read in the article above that the stadium property in Anaheim is worth more if the team moves. So it's a no-brainer for Anaheim, right?

11 hours ago, Tank said:

where are the clippers building a new arena? this is news to me.

They are trying to build it in the old Hollywood Park lot next to the Rams.   But the owners of the Forum are fighting it tooth and nail as they should.  Probably won't happen because it will be in legal hell for years.  

I always thought a move to Anaheim for the Clippers would be ideal.  Heck, if the Angels move, that would be an ideal opportunity for Samueli and Balmer to get together and make a state of the art arena on the Angels property.  Although I could also see the Samueli's doing it solo.  And build up the area since an arena takes up a smaller footprint than a stadium.  And you wouldn't need as much parking for a 20k arena as opposed to a 45k stadium.  Then they could do their charitable thing and put low income housing on the Pond lot.  It would be a much better win win for the City of Anaheim.  Who would only have to provide the land, get the taxes, and get affordable housing to appease the residents.

23 hours ago, TroutBaseball said:

This location is kind of the LA version of Marlins Park. Too far South/West for anyone to get there.

I drove by Marlins Park 3+ years back.    The parking isn't very good, and it is not an easy stadium at all for traffic to get in and out of.

The football stadium in Miami is actually in a neighborhood, and not really that close to freeway access.

15 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

It has gotten further east since I went to school there.   A dorm friend got married in 1976, and then that summer he and his new wife moved into an apartment just west of Cherry and just north of 7th St.   One evening that first autumn, I actually walked all the way back from there to the LB dorms, and felt safe.   Today, no f'ing way! 

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

They are trying to build it in the old Hollywood Park lot next to the Rams.   But the owners of the Forum are fighting it tooth and nail as they should.  Probably won't happen because it will be in legal hell for years.  

I always thought a move to Anaheim for the Clippers would be ideal.  Heck, if the Angels move, that would be an ideal opportunity for Samueli and Balmer to get together and make a state of the art arena on the Angels property.  Although I could also see the Samueli's doing it solo.  And build up the area since an arena takes up a smaller footprint than a stadium.  And you wouldn't need as much parking for a 20k arena as opposed to a 45k stadium.  Then they could do their charitable thing and put low income housing on the Pond lot.  It would be a much better win win for the City of Anaheim.  Who would only have to provide the land, get the taxes, and get affordable housing to appease the residents.

Honda Center is already older (26 years) than Turner Field and the Georgia Dome were, when they were replaced with new facilities.

13 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I drove by Marlins Park 3+ years back.    The parking isn't very good, and it is not an easy stadium at all for traffic to get in and out of.

The football stadium in Miami is actually in a neighborhood, and not really that close to freeway access.

@Inside Pitch used to talk about what an absolute mess it is to get to the stadiums in Miami. Seems like they built them in the worst possible places for easy access.

Not a smart decision in terms of the current fan-base as they would lose a lot of people due to the traffic. People from most of LA or south OC won't travel there because it'll take way too long. From a development standpoint however, it makes sense with how much Long Beach is spending to revitalize the city. This would go a long way for them to further interest in the city as they continue to push for the the 25-35 demographic. 

4 hours ago, Tank said:

@Inside Pitch used to talk about what an absolute mess it is to get to the stadiums in Miami. Seems like they built them in the worst possible places for easy access.

The place is in Little Havana, lots of one way streets.... most of them residential, small apartment complexes everywhere so the people looking to avoid paying for parking slow everything down even more while trolling for an open spot.  Maybe even worse one of the biggest streets to get there from downtown Miami has been getting redone for all of the last five years turning it into what is essentially a two lane road until this year...

Marlins Park couldn't have been put in a worse place.

Edited by Inside Pitch

On 2/25/2019 at 10:29 PM, Blarg said:

So instead of the view of the Long Beach harbor you think the defunct Marine Corps blimp hangers is a better backdrop?

There are no blimp hangars at El Toro.  There are two in Tustin.  There are barely any buildings left from the El Toro MCAS, and those that are left have mostly been rehabilitated.