• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

New Angels Stadium in Long Beach?

ettin

12 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

If the Angels were to ever move then it should have been to the Orange County Great Park. This land used to be where the el toro base was and it’s a massive piece of land. Would still keep the fans they currently have and give Arte a chance to develop new land and stadium he wants. Problem is that it’s even more in OC sooooooooo Orange County Angels? Or we could be awesome and go back to California Angels.

the el toro Y is farther away from LA. while it would be good for OC residents, it would blow chunks for us in LA county to try to get to a game on a weeknight. It's at least an hour drive from glendale to anaheim on any weeknight (usually longer than that). If I had to drive farther south, I wouldn't attend any games unless it was a sunday afternoon.

14 hours ago, Second Base said:

I mean on the one hand, they'd be able to call themselves the LA Angels ithout any snickering involved, which would be nice, and the stadium would definitely reflect the culture of the area. And waterfront location would be highly ideal. But, 13 acres isn't enough space and the traffic would be an absolute nightmare. But if they could develop a train system like the Padres do, it could alleviate some of that.

the worst thing about long beach is that there's really only one freeway into the city from LA. The 710 traffic is already stifling; adding an MLB game traffic would make it pretty much undriveable for most people.

The ONLY way this location works is with rail service. I'm not interested in trying to drive there as things currently stand.

So, to play this out, let’s say Arte moves to Long Beach.  He may have to get permission from the Dodgers, he may not.  In either event, Anaheim is now open for grabs.  How long does it take a team who desires 3M fans and a large size TV marked to make the move?  I’m looking at you, Tampa Bay.

So, Arte gets tucked away in a nice location that is very difficult to get to, and someone else is enjoying being in an older park with much better access and fans located in a 360 degree area around the stadium....

4 hours ago, yk9001 said:

elephant-lot.png

They fit a temporary swim stadium in that space for the US Olympic Trials a decade plus ago.

Barely.

Not sure I am seeing how a baseball stadium is going to fit in there.

And I've seen the average age of a major league baseball fan.  The Blue Line stop is a decent walk from there.

Pedicab, Uber, Lyft

1 hour ago, Tank said:

the worst thing about long beach is that there's really only one freeway into the city from LA. The 710 traffic is already stifling; adding an MLB game traffic would make it pretty much undriveable for most people.

The ONLY way this location works is with rail service. I'm not interested in trying to drive there as things currently stand.

Endless number of large trucks coming to and from the port, and the roadway condition is horrible. Not to mention gridlock almost every hour of the day.

This will not work at all.

2 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I find it surprising that Henry Samueli, Arte Moreno, and the city of Anaheim haven't been able to come together to agree to a plan to develop the hell out of the region close to Honda Center/Angels stadium. 

It seems like there should be a lot of mutual interest in that.

Both sides are playing hardball. Arte is a shrewd business man who is used to getting what he wants. Anaheim is acting on the whims of whiny residents with NIMBY tendencies who already hate Disneyland. 

3 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Both sides are playing hardball. Arte is a shrewd business man who is used to getting what he wants. Anaheim is acting on the whims of whiny residents with NIMBY tendencies who already hate Disneyland. 

Definitely true, but I wonder if Samueli and Arte discuss things ever. You really would think that 2 dudes worth a combined 8 billion dollars would be able to help each other out on this. Especially after so many years now.

4 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Can we stop it with this whiny NIMBY stuff? Nearly every study ever conducted shows public funding for sports stadiums is a losing proposition for the municipality. I'm very pro development but I don't want to give welfare to billionaires when there are much better uses of government resources. Just because someone doesn't want to contribute money to a billionaire doesn't mean they don't want a stadium built. They just want Arte to pay for it like every other business owner in the city.

1 hour ago, bruin5 said:

So, to play this out, let’s say Arte moves to Long Beach.  He may have to get permission from the Dodgers, he may not.  In either event, Anaheim is now open for grabs.  How long does it take a team who desires 3M fans and a large size TV marked to make the move?  I’m looking at you, Tampa Bay.

So, Arte gets tucked away in a nice location that is very difficult to get to, and someone else is enjoying being in an older park with much better access and fans located in a 360 degree area around the stadium....

Angels wouldn't need permission from the Dodgers. They both have rights to the LA metro market. Tampa would need permission to move to Anaheim.

5 hours ago, yk9001 said:

If anyone is familiar with Long Beach - there are 6 or 7 exits off the 405 that can get you down there.  Some of those streets get down to literally one lane south of PCH.  Like if you drive a Suburban or similar large vehicle, you are almost worried about sideswiping parked cars as you are driving on Cherry or Orange.

At least you get to worry about the 3 different gangs that claim that area though. Anaheim is just so boring.

6 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

That's a great view, no doubt. But 99.9 percent of baseball fans go to see what's on the field.

Non-baseball fans might go ONCE to see the view...........maybe. Maybe not with a seat, a beer and a hot dog pushing 50 bucks at many stadiums. Especially in SF.

Agree. I think stadiums like that are great for road trips, like fans that want to knock every stadium off the list. Not so much for locals. 

Dodger stadium for example is pretty dumpy. But the team is winning so people go. The padres draw pretty decent crowds, but they also have had very cheap prices for years. If they charged like most teams, no one would be going to see them lose in a nice venue.

2 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I find it surprising that Henry Samueli, Arte Moreno, and the city of Anaheim haven't been able to come together to agree to a plan to develop the hell out of the region close to Honda Center/Angels stadium. 

It seems like there should be a lot of mutual interest in that.

Youd think. But that specific area is pretty much already built out. To make room, youd have to buy out a ton of homes and industrial areas (which already make money). Not to mention, the riverbed isnt going anywhere.

The only area I can see is along orangewood, and west of St College.