• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign C Jonathan Lucroy to 1yr/$3.35M deal

bloodbrother

the Lucroy deal is par for the course

we needed help at C, 1b, 2b/3b, SP, SP, RP, RP with a 30m budget and an intent to preserve the farm as well as an idea that we'd compete.  

5 of the 7 issues have been addressed without deviation from the plan and there's about 11m left to spend.  

Every single one of the players acquired to address the teams deficiencies has upside beyond what the're being paid for.  

The team, as constructed, is somewhat disappointing yet very interesting.  

3 hours ago, TroutField said:

Well I’m assuming you are Thomas Sutpen, probably go by Tom for short, just a guess though. Don’t know anything about you other than you act like a weirdo on a baseball message board but whatever, you got more time on your hands than me lol whatever makes you happy 

"Thomas Sutpen" is a character in a William Faulkner story. Faulkner is an overrated writer particularly enjoyed by literary types who think they're smarter than they actually are and over-compensate with excessive (and empty) braggadocio. I think the operative word is, "blowhard." 

For that era, Hemingway is much better.

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

the Lucroy deal is par for the course

we needed help at C, 1b, 2b/3b, SP, SP, RP, RP with a 30m budget and an intent to preserve the farm as well as an idea that we'd compete.  

5 of the 7 issues have been addressed without deviation from the plan and there's about 11m left to spend.  

Every single one of the players acquired to address the teams deficiencies has upside beyond what the're being paid for.  

The team, as constructed, is somewhat disappointing yet very interesting.  

I guess that’s where we disagree. You think they’ve been addressed. I say they are the same or worse than last year

lol at anyone who can objectively look at this roster and actually think we’ll compete this season.

Not sure how Trout doesn’t let these last couple years factor into his decision going forward. You can’t waste someone’s career and then when it’s time to sign a new deal expect him to forget all of the bad.

If they get solidly average production (at least) out of a couple of guys and regular years out of Trout/Simmons/Upton/(hopefully Ohtani) then they’ll be a decent offensive team.  It’s just that whether we’ll get that or not is very much up in the air.  We’re just banking on a lot of “what if’s” which isn’t really anything new for the Angels over the last several years.  For myself, I feel pretty good about the Angels pitching.  I think it’ll be solid if we can be healthy.  I think the bullpen has a solid chance to be solidly good especially if they pull down Robertson (I suspect they won’t though - seems plain he wants to stay east.) The line up is just going to be a big question mark.  Hope for the best I guess. 

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Let him go Tank.  There is nothing more pitiful than an insecure blowhard on a message board.  The more he writes, the more his pathesis rises to the surface.  I don't want to feel sorry for him due to his obnoxious nature, but I can't help it.  

I hope you find yourself Thomas.  I know we all struggle and it seems you are right in the middle of it.  Just remember, douchebaggery is a choice.  We can help you but only if you choose help.  

usc.

Game Over. 

I don't see much of a downside here. It's a 1 year deal, super cheap, so even if he is injured big deal, he can handle a staff, he is only 2 seasons removed from a .292/.355 /.500 /.855 line and he is 32 not 37, its not like we signed him to a 10 year contract or anything.

12 hours ago, Hubs said:

I hate this and then I also don’t hate it. 

He had a horrible year offensively and defensively in 2018. He needs to rebound big time for this to be a good signing. 

Hes basically a more expensive Briceno with worse defense if he doesn’t rebound.

He needs to rebound to get a bigger contract somewhere in 2020.

11 minutes ago, Lou said:

not even for the league minimum?

I don't think we can expect the hobo to produce at even replacement level. The team would be much wiser to select a player already under contract from the minor leagues.

We've already seen what happens when you give a hobo $100m and ask him to play left field.

5 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I guess that’s where we disagree. You think they’ve been addressed. I say they are the same or worse than last year

I don't think those things are mutually exclusive.  

I liked our 'on paper' rotation going into 2018 way better than the 2019 one.    But we know how last years rotation turned out so even though it doesn't look great, I think it will be better.

There's a decent chance we've gotten worse at 2b.  maybe by a little.  I think we break even there with a potential offensive upgrade depending on a couple guys.  

This team will hit.  We'll finish with a top 5 offense/defense by WAR.  

If Skaggs, Harvey, Heaney, Cahill, and Barria make 140 starts, we'll win the 2nd wild card.  

13 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don't think we can expect the hobo to produce at even replacement level. The team would be much wiser to select a player already under contract from the minor leagues.

We've already seen what happens when you give a hobo $100m and ask him to play left field.

haha

touché