• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign C Jonathan Lucroy to 1yr/$3.35M deal

bloodbrother

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

If we are rebuilding I'd rather trade everyone and play the kids instead if signing vets on 1 year deals while trout inches towards free agency

SOOOOO much this.  what were doing makes no damn sense at all unless Trout is 100% on board and his extension is just waiting dollar amounts filled in after Harper/Machado.  

1 minute ago, ThomasSutpen said:

One of my earliest OP's was in August and it was entitled "Give Grandal whatever he wants". And I stand by that. We're in for a terrible offensive catcher with a terrible prima-donna attitude that is also terrible at defense. Grandallllllll don't leave us!

My issue is less about Grandal than just the history of deals for age 30 and above catchers.    Who knows -- maybe he ends up taking less.  My guess is the Dodgers bring him back on a one year deal at a higher rate if they can't trade for Realmuto -- but not sure there are many big spenders left looking to fill catching holes.   Boston could definitely upgrade at catcher but they are facing a lot of FA/arbitration issues.

3 minutes ago, ThomasSutpen said:

One of my earliest OP's was in August and it was entitled "Give Grandal whatever he wants". And I stand by that. We're in for a terrible offensive catcher with a terrible prima-donna attitude that is also terrible at defense. Grandallllllll don't leave us!

So one rumor is that he turned down 4/64. Let's say he insists on 4/65 or 5/80. Are you willing to pay that for a catcher, age 30-34? And lose the 2nd round draft pick a 500k in international money?

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

SOOOOO much this.  what were doing makes no damn sense at all unless Trout is 100% on board and his extension is just waiting dollar amounts filled in after Harper/Machado.  

Yep trade Trout and everyone else so we can rebuild the way a couple of guys on AngelsWin wants us to.  

27 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

That’s encouraging at least but I am extremely skeptical he improves this year at his age

Certainly possible, it is a risk, but one, at this point considering all of the remaining options, that Eppler had to pivot too and take.

Really feels like they mapped out this off-season and they are now down the route of go less on catching and more on relief help. Would not be surprised to see them sign a good reliever, possibly two at this point.

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yep trade Trout and everyone else so we can rebuild the way a couple of guys on AngelsWin wants us to.  

No,

Extend Trout and/or go all in right now. Hovering around .500 is pretty much the worst place to be as a professional sport's team, and for the last 4 years it's what we've been. 

4 minutes ago, ThomasSutpen said:

guys I was actually an engineering major, structural engineering but yes at the University of Spoiled Children I can't claim my parents didn't have my best interests in mind when they did. But my problem was there was no work in America so I had to go elsewhere to really design proper structures and I haven't been back since and I'm actually well-respected in the Baltic regions.

None of this is germane to anything. This Lucroy shit was another handshake "I'm as old as my agent says I am" deal with Moreno. Dude has a good heart but his head is too restricted for this team to go anywhere. RIP Disney, our progenetors of our one and only championship.

you're in Oregon, nimrod 

5 minutes ago, ThomasSutpen said:

Strad. Call it contingency planning. If he was extendable he'd have been extended.

He was not extendable before Harper-Machado signed. As soon as they are signed, expect talks to begin. Only then will the Angels really know whether they can re-sign him. I believe they can. 

10 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

He was not extendable before Harper-Machado signed. As soon as they are signed, expect talks to begin. Only then will the Angels really know whether they can re-sign him. I believe they can. 

Yeah, basically this...Machado and Harper are the big dogs in free agency right now and, Harper especially, will set the market going forward.  If the Angels offer Trout Harper's deal plus addition years/money and he says "no" they have their answer for what they can expect in 2021.  However, if they give him the richest contract in baseball, I think he stays...based on nothing but my own opinion.

Just now, ThomasSutpen said:

Arte is looking to get Trout at a discount mulwin. Otherwise he would have accepted Trout's proposal 3 years ago. We'll see how it plays out.

Yeah, um, I don't think so...none of that.  

I do agree with "we'll see", though, since that was actually correct.

2 minutes ago, ThomasSutpen said:

Arte is looking to get Trout at a discount mulwin. Otherwise he would have accepted Trout's proposal 3 years ago. We'll see how it plays out.

Bullshit.  It wasn’t three years ago, it was five years ago after Trouts second full season.  

1 minute ago, floplag said:

Or keep playing 500 ball at the ML level and do nothing like a couple others want us to.   The bullshit cuts both ways you know. 

Yes.  I know.  But one of us is right based on what the team is doing.  Now of course if Trout doesn’t get extended then the other person might be right.