• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Trout Reportedly Expected to Receive 'Lifetime' Contract Offer from Angels

Some of you assume that all Trout needs to do is wait two years and then the Yankees or Phillies (his two presumed "home team" options) will assuredly back up the Brinks truck for him. 

That isn't necessarily the case. The Yankees may already be set in the outfield, and the Phillies may not want to give out a mega contract (or may not be as competitive as people now expect). Trout's best option in terms of comfort and competitiveness (and money) may ultimately prove to be the Angels. 

11 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Some of you assume that all Trout needs to do is wait two years and then the Yankees or Phillies (his two presumed "home team" options) will assuredly back up the Brinks truck for him. 

That isn't necessarily the case. The Yankees may already be set in the outfield, and the Phillies may not want to give out a mega contract (or may not be as competitive as people now expect). Trout's best option in terms of comfort and competitiveness (and money) may ultimately prove to be the Angels. 

I dont think the Yankees are set. Gardner leaves after this year and I think Hicks is gone after 2020. EDIT: Make that after 2019. They prefer not to play Stanton in the OF. Judge is too big to play CF.

The Yankees are players in this, IMO. They will have the need. Whether they want to pay is another question.

Actually, with Stanton and Judge in the lineup, Trout could go back to hitting either 1 or 2 in that lineup. Imagine having a guy with an OBP of .440 ahead of those guys. In Yankee Stadium. Runs would be raining.

13 minutes ago, wopphil said:

All these teams have their own players to pay as well. 

1 hour ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Is it even possible to give him a contract that could extend well beyond his playing days....similar to Bonilla but not as egregious. Lets say its 20 years 400 million. Its a certainty he's not playing till hes 46, but it makes the lifetime of the contract a lower aav. Its probably dumb and crazy but having a lower aav during his career would allow him to surround himself with better players while at the same time paying the same amount well beyond his playing years. Maybe i'm drunk...maybe i'm a moron...maybe i'm both...

image.png.404492a701bbc8822ad859b024b9950b.png

I am encourage by this for one simple reason, i believe now is the time to make some hard decisions as a franchise. 
Extend him and build around him with a couple bold moves, or trade him and build for the future.
Waiting another year only hurts the club, i feel strongly this decision needs to be made this off season.
It is my hope that they do the former, extend him for life, make a couple aggressive signings like a Harper or Machado, fill in the blanks and go ham, im just not sure i think they will.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The fact that people are referring to a “Bleacher Report story” which is really nothing more than an aggregation of someone else’s work is the reason I won’t have a job in a few years. 

Anyway, I don’t feel saying the Angels are “expected” to offer Trout a deal is big news. When someone can report that they begun negotiations, or that they are near a deal, or that he’s rejected an offer, that will be big news. 

Finally, I can’t see Trout playing for the Yankees. This is a guy who likes being under the radar and being left alone. 

I could be wrong, but I think it’s 70 percent Angels, 25 percent Phillies, 5 percent other. 

Jeff i hope the job thing isnt true, you are in my view one of the best in how you do you job, reach out to the readers, and hold yourself accountable.  I dont always agree but i always respect. 
Id like to think that aggregate sites will still need someone to actually do the work so, lets hope that means the good guys are still there.

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

Jeff i hope the job thing isnt true, you are in my view one of the best in how you do you job, reach out to the readers, and hold yourself accountable.  I dont always agree but i always respect. 
Id like to think that aggregate sites will still need someone to actually do the work so, lets hope that means the good guys are still there.

I was thinking the same thing. Someone has to write the articles that get aggregated.

Jeff, you could just be one of the aggregatees...

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

Thanks.

And yes, the aggregate sites will always want someone to provide them free content. 

2 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

I was thinking the same thing. Someone has to write the articles that get aggregated.

Jeff, you could just be one of the aggregatees...

I hope I can pay my mortgage by saying “Bleacher Report picked up my story and they got a million clicks.” 

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

And his teams sucked for the last 18 years that he managed, although that’s partly on the GM and owner.

So, it's all on Mack, since he was the owner and there was no GM.

And he was 87 when he retired from managing, but still had a majority share of the team (and they still sucked) until 1954.

2 hours ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

It may be a bleacher report article, but the author is Jon Heyman. Is he pretty reputable ?

Who cares if he's reputable?

This is an insignificant article. OF COURSE, the Angels were going to make an extension offer!! It's part of the plan to either keep him, if he is willing, or trade him if he isnt.

You dont want him simply walking away and the Angels getting a QO return, do you? 

Everyone expects Trout to get a ten year offer. THAT is a lifetime offer, for all intents and purposes. There may be an opt-out, but the overall contract will be long.

59 minutes ago, floplag said:

I am encourage by this for one simple reason, i believe now is the time to make some hard decisions as a franchise. 
Extend him and build around him with a couple bold moves, or trade him and build for the future.
Waiting another year only hurts the club, i feel strongly this decision needs to be made this off season.
It is my hope that they do the former, extend him for life, make a couple aggressive signings like a Harper or Machado, fill in the blanks and go ham, im just not sure i think they will.

I agree completely. Better to know early and plan accordingly. The more time left on his contract, the more you can demand in return. The salary the other team will have to pay probably will limit the suitors, but they will be out there.

I wonder if Pujols wishes he stayed with the St. Louis Cardinals and has expressed as much to Trout when thinking about his impending big decision to stay with one team, like his idol Derek Jeter, or move on for more $$$ like Albert did. 

I honestly doubt Trout will move to Philly just because he likes the sports teams there and it's close to where he grew up in Jersey. I'm guessing Trout loves his quiet place in Laguna overlooking the ocean, over the cold ass Northeast. 

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I honestly doubt Trout will move to Philly just because he likes the sports teams there and it's close to where he grew up in Jersey. I'm guessing Trout loves his quiet place in Laguna overlooking the ocean, over the cold ass Northeast. 

I don't think it is about him liking the sports teams there, I think it is more of him having all his family and friends there still and he still spends all his off season time there.

He definitely doesn't seem to care about the cold weather either.

If he left the Angels for Philly, I would understand.  It would monumentally suck, but I would understand.

11 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I wonder if Pujols wishes he stayed with the St. Louis Cardinals and has expressed as much to Trout when thinking about his impending big decision to stay with one team, like his idol Derek Jeter, or move on for more $$$ like Albert did. 

I never thought of this before. Interesting....

13 minutes ago, nate said:

I don't think it is about him liking the sports teams there, I think it is more of him having all his family and friends there still and he still spends all his off season time there.

He definitely doesn't seem to care about the cold weather either.

If he left the Angels for Philly, I would understand.  It would monumentally suck, but I would understand.

he does?