• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Trout Reportedly Expected to Receive 'Lifetime' Contract Offer from Angels

15 minutes ago, nate said:

I don't think it is about him liking the sports teams there, I think it is more of him having all his family and friends there still and he still spends all his off season time there.

He definitely doesn't seem to care about the cold weather either.

If he left the Angels for Philly, I would understand.  It would monumentally suck, but I would understand.

Nate, I know he goes back to do some hunting in the offseason and will probably spend Thanksgiving and Christmas there, but I really doubt he spends his entire offseason back east. 

2 hours ago, red321 said:

Mike doesn't take me as the guy who is worried about signing the largest contract in history. If Mike chooses to sign a contract for life, or another extension, it's because he wants to be an Angel...the Angels won't let money become an issue and it's not going to be Mike's top priority.

If money was all Trout cared about he could be the spoke person for Coke, Hertz, Nike, Motel 6, or any company he wanted. He does very few commercials because he just wants to play baseball.

13 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Nate, I know he goes back to do some hunting in the offseason and will probably spend Thanksgiving and Christmas there, but I really doubt he spends his entire offseason back east. 

His social media posts certainly indicate that he does.

22 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

You make him an offer that he will find almost impossible to refuse.

If he declines, you trade him for a huge haul before, or during, his final contract year. Several teams will no doubt be very happy to have him.

Simple as 1 + 1 = 2.

I think one of the problems with this thinking is that I don't believe Trout is ever going to close the door on signing with the Angels. Even if he doesn't take what they offer, he's more likely to say "I love it here. Let's keep talking later." The door will never be entirely closed on signing with the Angels until he's signed with someone else.

I also don't think you will ever really get fair value back for him, so you're better off just trying to win the World Series with him in 2019 and again in 2020, even if means saying goodbye to him at the parade.

Show me another team who traded away a franchise player when they didn't need to do it to cut payroll. If you can afford to keep him, which the Angels can, you are better off having him than not having him.

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

Okay, so, different scenario, as I didn't see it brought up (sorry, if I missed it if already has):

Chances are the Angels are going to be competitive next season (no, they are, shut up).  With some offseason roster moves, some overdue luck with health, some maturing by their youngsters, the Angels spend 2019 in the thick of the playoff race and are in Wild Card lead with a genuine shot the AL WEST crown.  Are they trading Trout then if he voices his intentions to test free agency in 2021?  Not likely.  What happens that offseason even if they win the Wild Card, maybe participate in an ALDS, are they trading Trout prior to the 2020 season if he doesn't sign an extension?  I'm not so sure if they are legit contenders in the AL West.

I think the likeliest scenario where Trout gets traded is if the Angels continue to be awful/bad/average and he refuses to sign an extension.  I think those two have to happen together because if the Angels are a 90+ win team next season, I think Eppler hangs on to him as a key to winning in 2020.     

1 minute ago, fan_since79 said:

Sorry, but I don't think the Angels will be a serious threat to the AL West crown for a couple more years at least.

Houston is a dynasty just getting started.

Okay, well, GMs don't think that way: "Gee, Arte, Houston be real good...I guess we should just sit down and do nothing until  2023".

I don't want my GM conceding future seasons to another franchise just because they happen to be good at that moment...

4 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Okay, so, different scenario, as I didn't see it brought up (sorry, if I missed it if already has):

Chances are the Angels are going to be competitive next season (no, they are, shut up).  With some offseason roster moves, some overdue luck with health, some maturing by their youngsters, the Angels spend 2019 in the thick of the playoff race and are in Wild Card lead with a genuine shot the AL WEST crown.  Are they trading Trout then if he voices his intentions to test free agency in 2021?  Not likely.  What happens that offseason even if they win the Wild Card, maybe participate in an ALDS, are they trading Trout prior to the 2020 season if he doesn't sign an extension?  I'm not so sure if they are legit contenders in the AL West.

I think the likeliest scenario where Trout gets traded is if the Angels continue to be awful/bad/average and he refuses to sign an extension.  I think those two have to happen together because if the Angels are a 90+ win team next season, I think Eppler hangs on to him as a key to winning in 2020.     

You’re correct ... if they do trade him it will be at the trade deadline of 2020 if the team is out of contention. 

Something the Nationals should of done with Harper. 

5 hours ago, floplag said:

wait now bleacherreport is a valid source?  :)  

Well if you read the article it says Trout turned down a lifetime offer the first time around.  If memory is correct it was Trout agent who asked for the 13 year contract and Angel's wanted a shorter contract.

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Why can't he continue to live back East in the winter time, and out here during the season?   Although it does get complicated in that way, once a child is born and then ready for school.    

Good thing he'll have enough money to have the City of Millville relocated to Laguna. That way he'll have the best of both worlds.

30 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

If he declines an extension but still wants to consider it later, you're taking a risk the Phillies or Yankees will throw so much money at him that Arte will regretfully bow out and we get nothing when he leaves.

And why would he want to talk again after turning us down the first time?

All agreements are the result of prior rejections. 

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

If money was all Trout cared about he could be the spoke person for Coke, Hertz, Nike, Motel 6, or any company he wanted. He does very few commercials because he just wants to play baseball.

Or he isn't a big fan of doing endorsement deals and being in the spotlight. Signing a massive baseball contract is playing baseball. But who knows maybe he signs a team friendly deal. Time will tell.

47 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Okay, well, GMs don't think that way: "Gee, Arte, Houston be real good...I guess we should just sit down and do nothing until  2023".

I don't want my GM conceding future seasons to another franchise just because they happen to be good at that moment...

GM doesn't need to concede. If they Angels don't provide their roster with a massive influx of talent this team is 19.5 games back of Houston. Good luck with this bunch.