• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What would it take to make the 2017 season a success?

19HALO71

I want to see a lot of our farm picks start to show some stuff. Have some of them tear it up in the low minors like Thaiss and Jones, maybe promote a couple guys like middleton and see some success in the show. Richards return to form, more consistency from Shoemaker.

5 hours ago, 19HALO71 said:

Of course a World Series title would be pretty cool.

But what would it take for you to consider the 2017 season a success?

I would be happy with around a .500 record and playing significant baseball the last 2 weeks of the season.

What say you?

Go Halos!!!

Not meaning to be sarcastic, but they need luck to reach the postseason.   I think management is looking at 2018 to contend.

I am not expecting much in 2017.

I do like our 'strong up the middle' approach and feel that Simmons/ Espinosa at SS/2B is a good combo.

with all the talk about good D light hitting MIF, a friend of mine pointed out that Espinosa actually hit 24 HRs last year (have not checked that for accuracy yet, but if that's true that's more HRs at 2B position in a long time. Howie may have hit something like 15-20 HRs)......Trout in CF and this new catcher (Maldonado).  But that strong D up the middle assumes the pitching staff will be serving up groundballs instead of gopher balls.

Texas went pretty much wire to wire last year and then fizzled in the playoffs -- I think they've gotten better.

Seattle had a suddenly good season last year as they sort of caught fire in the second half of the season. They are better.

Oakland is Oakland -- always trying to squeak by with a major league low payroll and get to trade deadline in contention. IMO they are a franchise in the constant state of free-fall.

Houston is a mystery to me -- their pitching fell off the chart last year after being so good in 2015.  They have good young MIF'ers.   They should contend but hard to say which team shows up in 2017 -- the one with the  better than expected pitching staff in 2015 or the one that flopped in 2016?

The Halos?  Does anyone else think (like I do) that the Halos are pretty much done with off-season moves and now it's just some tinkering around the edges?

I don't see  our Halos being 10 games better (more wins) than 2016......10 more wins gets us to  .500.

Espinosa hit 24 HRs last year and averages 19 a season. He had 21 HRs in 2011 and 17 in 2012.

Kendrick's highest HR season was 2011 when he hit 18 as a Halo 2B. He averages 11 a season.

The last Angel 2B with more HRs was probably Bobby Grich who hit 30 in 1979.

I think the Halos line up can hold up IF the starting rotation come through and induces ground balls instead of gopher balls.

we also need a solid pen guy(s) for pre-set up and set up guys -- that's where we lost a number of games last year -- even when the starting pitcher came through.

I would still like to see the Halos sign a guy like Chase Utley as a back up MIF and perhaps to play some D at 3B as well.......but that's probably not happening. We still have Marte on the roster and he could fill that role (but not as good as Utley would).  

Often, with the better teams (usually with no payroll limitations) get that way because they're willing to pay more for the depth bench players -- the back up MIF, the extra set up guy who can keep teams off balance and into the future -- the lumbering guy who can't play a lick in the field but can knock the cover off the ball.and be a dangerous DH.