• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The unofficial "Trump's cabinet" thread

Glen

4 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Please don't state an argument for me that I did not make.

I believe you stated you didn't want anyone with experience with common core to be involved in the Department of Education. That you believe that she was a proponent and not just an employee of that department without any independent thought process. Ignoring that a job can be offered without being completely truthful about it's entire scope and once accepted some people work it to completion regardless of misgivings.

So I don't think I have made any argument for you, you've pretty much defined it yourself.

17 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

What's wrong with leaving a controversial, moral, social issue up to each state rather than forcing one decision on them all?

The government shouldn't force so-called religious values on society, whether it happens at the state or federal level. I have no issue with people being morally opposed to some of the social issues but others shouldn't be made to live by those religious standards.

I'm guessing you don't have strong feelings about it and/or haven't felt this way for very long, because if you did, you likely wouldn't have supported Bernie.

2 hours ago, Lou said:

2 questions:

1. what exactly is Common Core and why is it a bad thing? (at least that's the impression I get)

2. what is wrong with being pro-Charter schools? 

Charter schools tend to be religious schools,

https://www.aclu.org/blog/speakeasy/private-school-vouchers-thanks-no-thanks

i too have little knowledge of the subject because i don't have kids, but it's essentially government mandated curriculum where the government believes children should be at a minimum to a certain level with respect to their grade level. so by 4th grade, every kid needs to be at x with regards to their knowledge of science, math, reading, etc.

basically standardized educational requirements.

i believe it was created with regards to our overall educational ranking worldwide, especially in math and science. also to prepare kids better for college because a lot of the tests done showed kids were not educationally ready for college level curriculum by the time they went.

i think the drawback and opposition to common core is that all kids don't learn at the same speed and level. i thought there was even a component when it first came out that kids wouldn't graduate if they couldn't pass common core level testing or requirements.

but i don't claim to know much about it and my impression or little info could be way off.

My ex-wife is a teacher and she basically described it as teaching to a test.  

If you want to know if something is bad a good test would be to see who does and does not like it.  Well have you ever heard a single person praise common core?   Any teachers, students or parents?  

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

My ex-wife is a teacher and she basically described it as teaching to a test.  

If you want to know if something is bad a good test would be to see who does and does not like it.  Well have you ever heard a single person praise common core?   Any teachers, students or parents?  

I have a teacher friend that is hardcore leftist and she praises it like Jesus himself developed it. 

that's right, i forgot about that aspect. it's not even just setting minimum educational requirements, but they also revamped how the kids learn or set "new rules" for basic shit like the math problem above.

reminds me of when they tried to make everyone here use the metric system.

7 hours ago, InsideThePark said:

The government shouldn't force so-called religious values on society, whether it happens at the state or federal level. I have no issue with people being morally opposed to some of the social issues but others shouldn't be made to live by those religious standards.

I'm guessing you don't have strong feelings about it and/or haven't felt this way for very long, because if you did, you likely wouldn't have supported Bernie.

You're correct in that I don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other. However this isn't just a religious issue. there are plenty of non Christians, Mormons etc. that are opposed to abortion. So I would say it's fair to let states choose.

1 hour ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

You're correct in that I don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other. However this isn't just a religious issue. there are plenty of non Christians, Mormons etc. that are opposed to abortion. So I would say it's fair to let states choose.

Not fair to the women.

8 minutes ago, RallyMo said:

I wasn't taught with this method, but what in the everloving hell is so conceptually difficult about this that parents are banging their heads against the walls? It's really simple.

In all fairness I'm a retard when it comes to math. This is just the simplest example. Obviously there are more complicated ones. 

30 minutes ago, RallyMo said:

I wasn't taught with this method, but what in the everloving hell is so conceptually difficult about this that parents are banging their heads against the walls? It's really simple.

seems a bit elongated to me. talk about elementary though, breaking down math into round numbers. are kids can't be that mathematically challenged, can they?

especially if you have that asshole that makes you show your work.

32 minutes ago, RallyMo said:

While there is value in exploring other ways to solve problems, for a lot of kids these kinds of math solutions have become insanely complex. No doubt some kids work better in this kind of environment but it's not a one-size-fits-all solution, especially when the more direct and often simpler approach is the traditional straightforward approach most all of us learned. 

53 minutes ago, Jay said:

With some states approving and others not, the option will be available to travel to a state that allows abortion.

Yes, that's very simple. All they have to do is travel potentially hundreds of miles one-way, have a procedure that is most likely already causing them distress, and then drive home. I'm sure employers will also be happy to give time off for this.

Piece of cake. 

1 hour ago, RallyMo said:

Math comes easy for me. So I can't empathize but I'm sure there are free youtube videos for anyone who wants some instruction on how to help their kid. Even better, watch it with the kid.