• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels renew stadium talks with Anaheim after striking out in Tustin

10 minutes ago, disarcina said:

amazing how a non-contending team can tank the team's leverage on the ballpark situation.

you would think that Halos would sort of be like Disney was and put a competitive / contender on the field, if for no other reason, than to increase the value of the team for sale purposes.

of course, back when, the Disneyland folks were more interested in just keeping the Angels in Anaheim than winning a title - but it all worked out ok -  Disney upgraded the park - entered into the much discussed / litigated extension (including the LA team name language stuff) extension for the ballpark, won a title and successfully sold the ballclub at higher value than before all that happened.

now it looks like the Angels are about to sign the equivalent of one of those player - team 'one year' options.........

Thanks to Arte, Scioscia and Dipoto we've lost the battle for Los Angeles. For the time being the Dodgers are Disneyland and the Angels are Knotts Berry No Farm.

CALZONE - you are so right about the 'battle for Los Angeles' -- when the Dogs were going through the McCourt debacle there was a real LIMITED TIME window of opportunity to really take advantage there and steal market share ---- and once the local alternative ownership investor group formed, it was only a matter of time until the Dodgers would be back and ready to spend some money...........the Angels really missed the pitch during that about two year period -- and if they would have struck then, really made some moves to penetrate the greater LA market -- then they would have been in an even better position today to take advantage of the LA 'not on TV' situation which is nothing short of scandalous in this, Vin Scully's final year behind the microphone.............

oh by the way -- Scully's departure also provides the Halos with an opportunity to snare some of the LA market as well ---

read a piece in the LA Times on Scullly the other day and it mentioned as in an 'oh. by the way,' throw away line at the end of the article --that Dick Enberg is calling it a day as well this year -- he's been announcing SD Padres games the past four or five years.

4 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

A 2nd Gen Renovated stadium? Lordy...

After visiting some of the newer parks in the league, some even 15 years old, and then going back to Angel Stadium, it's obvious that it's aged and needs some major updates. Mostly the concourses surrounding and in the stadium (they are just way too small), concessions, and fan traffic. Other than the fact that it just looks old, I still like Angel Stadium, I wonder what they're looking to do with improvements.

#keeptherocks 

#fucktherocks

don't expect much in the way of improvements at Anaheim Stadium -- the Angels have now gone searching and have come back empty handed with a .400 ballclub and an August/ September of maybe 20,000 fans in the stands (although attendance reported will be higher because of 'ghost like' ticket sales to ticket brokers')

the lower actual attendance (vs. reported attendance) will result in lower concessions sales (overall revenue and sales tax down) and lower parking revenue.

Angels now need to go back to City to negotiate what will likely be an interim type extension with not much in the way of new commitments from either side.

Status Quo with the City/ ballpark  -- Status quo in the standings -- a few bleak years ahead.......

oh well, the weather is usually nice at the ballpark in Anaheim............

12 minutes ago, disarcina said:

CALZONE - you are so right about the 'battle for Los Angeles' -- when the Dogs were going through the McCourt debacle there was a real LIMITED TIME window of opportunity to really take advantage there and steal market share ---- and once the local alternative ownership investor group formed, it was only a matter of time until the Dodgers would be back and ready to spend some money...........the Angels really missed the pitch during that about two year period -- and if they would have struck then, really made some moves to penetrate the greater LA market -- then they would have been in an even better position today to take advantage of the LA 'not on TV' situation which is nothing short of scandalous in this, Vin Scully's final year behind the microphone.............

oh by the way -- Scully's departure also provides the Halos with an opportunity to snare some of the LA market as well ---

read a piece in the LA Times on Scullly the other day and it mentioned as in an 'oh. by the way,' throw away line at the end of the article --that Dick Enberg is calling it a day as well this year -- he's been announcing SD Padres games the past four or five years.

I still miss Harry Carey. Enberg and Scully are true icons of the game. I also thought that PA announcer Bob Sheppard for the Yankees was kinda cool too.

We never really had LA after the Dodgers came here from NY.  So we didn't lose LA, we just didn't capitalize on an opportunity they had.  

Hate to say it but the new Dodger ownership is doing it right.  Granted they have all the money in the world but the philosophy of spending to put a competitive team out there while allowing your minor league system to become healthy again is what I'd like Arte to do.  They sign players from Asia and Cuba, that don't always work out but it adds organizational depth in a hurry.  We have an owner who used to sign big name free agents and seems to have zero desire to build a farm.  

The Angels and Anaheim will come to an agreement.  I highly doubt the city wants to lose a football team and a baseball team.  

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

We never really had LA after the Dodgers came here from NY.  So we didn't lose LA, we just didn't capitalize on an opportunity they had.  

Hate to say it but the new Dodger ownership is doing it right.  Granted they have all the money in the world but the philosophy of spending to put a competitive team out there while allowing your minor league system to become healthy again is what I'd like Arte to do.  They sign players from Asia and Cuba, that don't always work out but it adds organizational depth in a hurry.  We have an owner who used to sign big name free agents and seems to have zero desire to build a farm.  

The Angels and Anaheim will come to an agreement.  I highly doubt the city wants to lose a football team and a baseball team.  

The Dodgers are doing things they can because it's new ownership and they will be able to depreciate a lot of those signings ..  Ownership groups only get to play those games on a grand scale once.   Arte did it too when he first got the team.   I'm willing to bet their TV deal means they will always be willing to spend, but we may not see the sort of buy everything approach we are seeing currently with them after year 6 of their ownership.

Arte and the City both need to ante up if they want it to work out..  

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

The Dodgers are doing things they can because it's new ownership and they will be able to depreciate a lot of those signings ..  Ownership groups only get to play those games on a grand scale once.   Arte did it too when he first got the team.   I'm willing to bet their TV deal means they will always be willing to spend, but we may not see the sort of buy everything approach we are seeing currently with them after year 6 of their ownership.

Arte and the City both need to ante up if they want it to work out..  

Oh I don't need us to spend on the same level as the Dodgers, I just want Arte to put a complete team out there using the actual resources his TV contract and attendance provide, while building the farm.  

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Oh I don't need us to spend on the same level as the Dodgers, I just want Arte to put a complete team out there using the actual resources his TV contract and attendance provide, while building the farm.  

Mostly I'm saying they won't be spending like they are forever...    Tell you the team we need to worry about going on a spending spree..  the Astros.  Like the Dodgers they have new ownership, unlike the Dodgers they haven't really gone off with the purchases.  They may end up wanting to tap into their depreciation potential and go nuts.   They did a really great job of adding talent via the draft and selling off players, but it remains to be seen whether or not their current ownership group will be wiling to spend.   Their cable company fiasco might also play into their situation -- but what they do or don't do will likely impact us a lot more than what the Dodgers are doing.

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

That's the 10 year plan after Arte finally sells the team. 

13 hours ago, Stradling said:

Well if there's no money to build a new stadium you have to renovate.  The last renovation was great.  I would assume they would make another nice improvement.  I have no idea if they can realistically solve the concourse issues. 

Dodger Stadium did. They removed some of the seats and extended the concourse for more fan traffic. Added bar stands and seating as well. I give them props on those upgrades. Did a great job. Its definitely possible.

1 minute ago, HaloCory22 said:

Dodger Stadium did. They removed some of the seats and extended the concourse for more fan traffic. Added bar stands and seating as well. I give them props on those upgrades. Did a great job. Its definitely possible.

If it's possible that would be great.  But to make them wider at Angel Stadium aren't we mostly talking about the 400 level?  Can't really do that there can you?  It's not as simple as removing seats.  The field level seems possible by making it wider going away from the field.  300 level is wide enough because it has fewer seats. 200 section isn't crazy crowded.  I'm not great as conceptualizing something like this.  

3 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

I hope he ownership group for the Dodgers builds a stadium downtown if Arte doesn't want to build a stadium Ansheim will not build it for him. I'm tired of these owners doing this stuff and taking the cities because they have a precious sports franchise. 

I'm sure the cities get tax revenue from the teams, and stadiums as well as jobs.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

If it's possible that would be great.  But to make them wider at Angel Stadium aren't we mostly talking about the 400 level?  Can't really do that there can you?  It's not as simple as removing seats.  The field level seems possible by making it wider going away from the field.  300 level is wide enough because it has fewer seats. 200 section isn't crazy crowded.  I'm not great as conceptualizing something like this.  

I think it's very possible at Angels stadium.  You would just have to take away about 5 rows of parking and extend out.  Probably would have to get rid of the offices on the 1b side.  Just think of the courtyards and ramps extended out to the parking lot. 

The Dodgers way they did it was done quite well, but it was expensive.  The additional thing they did was take out the field seats and dug underneath it to put better clubhouse ammenities in.  I'm sure it's something the Angels could do also, but it's almost as expensive as building a new stadium.