• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels renew stadium talks with Anaheim after striking out in Tustin

A 2nd Gen Renovated stadium? Lordy...

After visiting some of the newer parks in the league, some even 15 years old, and then going back to Angel Stadium, it's obvious that it's aged and needs some major updates. Mostly the concourses surrounding and in the stadium (they are just way too small), concessions, and fan traffic. Other than the fact that it just looks old, I still like Angel Stadium, I wonder what they're looking to do with improvements.

#keeptherocks 

The developer of the proposed Tustin site said his firm worked extensively in recent months on a ballpark project, but could not structure a deal that made economic sense for the development company, for Tustin and for the Angels.

Surprise! If no one is willing to pay, there's not enough money. Stadiums don't just magically create money. 

4 minutes ago, Jobu said:

Surprise! If no one is willing to pay, there's not enough money. Stadiums don't just magically create money. 

Stan Kroenke bought the Hollywood Park site and is building an NFL stadium with his own money. I think Tate was right to call out Arte on that deal. 

Yea, take the team we love and get out.  Stop being like every other team out there that tries to get a stadium funded with tax dollars.  You dummy head.  Arte being worth a billion dollars means nothing when a stadium will cost a billion dollars.  Oh and the Stan Kroenke comparison doesn't really work.  This area was so thirsty for football getting investors that are interested was pretty easy.  The Angels don't quite have that following. 

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yea, take the team we love and get out.  Stop being like every other team out there that tries to get a stadium funded with tax dollars.  You dummy head.  Arte being worth a billion dollars means nothing when a stadium will cost a billion dollars.  Oh and the Stan Kroenke comparison doesn't really work.  This area was so thirsty for football getting investors that are interested was pretty easy.  The Angels don't quite have that following. 

Cool you want Anaheim to foot the bill for the Angels so he can profit. It's absolute hog wash that owners are allowed to do this. And yes I'd say pay for your own stadium or leave I don't really care if the Angels are here or not doesn't affect how I root for them. I don't have season seats nor do I go to games more than a handful of times. I'd rather the city of Anaheim use that site to its highest value for the city residents and tax revenue than for a sports franchise that places 81 games there and then ehh oh cool you have a monster truck rally haha nope hope Anaheim stands firm and tells him to kick rocks 

I'll just repeat myself to say that there has to be a number between $1/yr and the $225M the city says the land is worth that makes sense for both parties. Taxpayers always end up on the hook for something, even if it's just the opportunity cost.

That said, every time this subject comes up the parking lots - egress, specifically - is the number one compliment to the stadium and its location. Hell, I ran into a couple Angels fans from L.A. in an elevator in Seattle last weekend and that was the first thing they said about the Angels... that the parking is great! It makes me wonder if the parking lot development idea is that wise.

45 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It also helps that Kroenke is worth something like 6 billion, and that's not even including his wife who is a Walton.

2019 is when the opt out is.  I think the contract ends in 2030.  I'm sure things will get cheaper by then. 

But really, Arte either needs to get a partner, sell, or move.  And I would think that moving from one of the largest metro's to one of the smaller ones (compared to other mlb cities) would decrease value of the team.  The other issue that is uniquely stupid to MLB, is that I think like 4 or 5 teams have claim to Vegas as their area.  So you would have to negotiate with those teams if moving into that area.  And as the Giants have shown, teams can be dicks about it, cough Doggies.

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Says the guy who hates when Arte spends money.  

Hates to see Arte waste money on overpaid underperforming free agents. The stadium issue is Arte's fault. He was supposed to renovate the stadium on his own dime for the free rent. He's done nothing and kept the money so why give him more taxpayer dollars now? If he had fixed the stadium maybe the city would've been more open to working with him on developing the surrounding area. I think Disney is going to get in the mix at some point. 

Oh by the way, Arte's bluff to move was called. Tom Tate for President.

amazing how a non-contending team can tank the team's leverage on the ballpark situation.

you would think that Halos would sort of be like Disney was and put a competitive / contender on the field, if for no other reason, than to increase the value of the team for sale purposes.

of course, back when, the Disneyland folks were more interested in just keeping the Angels in Anaheim than winning a title - but it all worked out ok -  Disney upgraded the park - entered into the much discussed / litigated extension (including the LA team name language stuff) extension for the ballpark, won a title and successfully sold the ballclub at higher value than before all that happened.

now it looks like the Angels are about to sign the equivalent of one of those player - team 'one year' options.........