• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Weaver vs Skaggs

notherhalo

See "Joe Blanton 2013" for your answer.  Joe was a starter until 07/22 of that season putting up a robust:

2 -13 5.66 ERA 116 IP 157 H 24 HR 1.595 WHIP in 20 Starts

Despite his recent struggles, it is highly doubtful that Weaver does this bad.  Also, remember who Weaver's manager is and the fact he's been his manager his entire career with the Angels.  

Odds are good that, since Skaggs is coming off Tommy John surgery, they will bring him along slowly and limit his innings and, if Weaver is done by July, Skaggs will take over in the rotation.

Edited by mulwin444

I like the idea of Skaggs pitching for Weaver during away starts. Of course it won't happen, because of respecting the Proven Veteran. My worry is that Weaver plays well enough to keep the Angels giving him starts. My prediction is that his ERA hangs out in the mid-4.00s for most of the year, then goes up towards the end and finishes over 5.00. At some point, Skaggs will get starts. Or maybe Wilson gets traded before the deadline and Skaggs takes over.

I suspect we'll see something like this:

Richards 30 starts

Heaney 30 starts

Weaver 25 starts

Wilson 20 starts, then traded

Tropeano 20 starts

Santiago 15 starts

Skaggs 10 starts

Shoemaker 10 starts

Maybe someone gets injured and someone else gets more starts, or maybe Wilson, Santiago, or Shoemaker is traded earlier than expected. But it will be something like that, imo.

Edited by Angelsjunky

Hopefully, Tropeano blossoms into the 3rd spot in the rotation by a year from now to give the Halos two solid righties.

It's hard to win with FOUR lefties in the rotation.

Then it would be by 2017:  Richards, Heaney, Tropeano, Santiago, and Skaggs.

Move Shoe to the pen in a set-up role, where the splitter isn't as hard on the shoulder/elbow.

From : http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/story/jered-weaver-anaheim-abgels-fastball-slow-history-110915

Perhaps Weaver will show up to spring training in 2016 – the final year of his contract – with renewed life on his fastball. One thing is clear, however: if Weaver shows up with an 83 mph fastball and claims full-time starting duties, he will be in rare company. Succeeding long-term with that sort of stuff? Only two recent right-handers have done it. One of them's in the Hall of Fame.

Weaver Vs. Skaggs:

Weaver - 84 MPH - LOL 

Skaggs - 92 - 94 MPH

Weaver won't last the season i expect him to land on the 60 day DL with a face saving BS injury around May.  

skaggs hasn't thrown a major league pitch in over a year.  Lets wait before we crown him number 3 status.

If it comes down to Weaver vs. Skaggs, out of respect for Weav, I'd give him April and nothing else. If he can't show in ST, plus three starts early in the year that he has something left in the tank and can be effective, then I'd make a drastic move.

We have too much pitching depth to justify rolling out a 4.50 ERA. Skaggs is looking to make good on the promise he showed as a top prospect and is still just 24. Shoe is better than what we saw last year. Tropeano is better than most expect.

There was an article last year, and Weaver was questioned about his drop in the fastball. 

He thinks, and let's hope he is right, that it was his offseason conditioning that may have done it.  Last offseason, Weaver focused on strength, instead of his usual focus of flexibility. 

So hopefully he worked back to his normal offseason routine, and we will see the old old Weav back.

I like the idea of Skaggs pitching for Weaver during away starts. Of course it won't happen, because of respecting the Proven Veteran. My worry is that Weaver plays well enough to keep the Angels giving him starts. My prediction is that his ERA hangs out in the mid-4.00s for most of the year, then goes up towards the end and finishes over 5.00. At some point, Skaggs will get starts. Or maybe Wilson gets traded before the deadline and Skaggs takes over.

I suspect we'll see something like this:

Richards 30 starts

Heaney 30 starts

Weaver 25 starts

Wilson 20 starts, then traded

Tropeano 20 starts

Santiago 15 starts

Skaggs 10 starts

Shoemaker 10 starts

Maybe someone gets injured and someone else gets more starts, or maybe Wilson, Santiago, or Shoemaker is traded earlier than expected. But it will be something like that, imo.

I know Skaggs is coming off TJ, and we should limit his innings, but if he is healthy and pitching well I will be pissed if he only gets 10 starts. As I've been saying, the only real hope this team has is in the development of it's young pitchers. We've already had to give up a season and a half of Tyler's development, to waste yet another year would be yet another self inflicted wound by the organization.

Edited by AngelsLakersFan

I can live with Weaver throwing 87-89, he was brilliant at that speed, but it's been three years since we saw that. There were a handful of pitches each start last year where he was throwing 79-81, and they weren't changeups or curves. Just shocked at how much he diminished over a short period.

Also, I don't see the reason for limiting Tyler. We have enough evidence to back up that it doesn't take a pitcher 12 months to recover from TJ. It takes 12 months to throw again, but to fully regain velocity, snap on breaking balls and feel for a change up, it's more like 16.

By the time the season starts, Skaggs will be 18 months removed from surgery. As far as I'm concerned concerned, he's already been handled with kiddy gloves. He's ready to roll and I wouldn't hesitate to start him over both Weaver and Santiago.

Also, I don't see the reason for limiting Tyler. We have enough evidence to back up that it doesn't take a pitcher 12 months to recover from TJ. It takes 12 months to throw again, but to fully regain velocity, snap on breaking balls and feel for a change up, it's more like 16.

By the time the season starts, Skaggs will be 18 months removed from surgery. As far as I'm concerned concerned, he's already been handled with kiddy gloves. He's ready to roll and I wouldn't hesitate to start him over both Weaver and Santiago.

I basically agree, but after having not thrown in 18 months I'm not sure he'll be able to handle 200 innings. It's not so much a health thing as a fatigue issue. I really don't want to see him run out of gas during the stretch run... 

I basically agree, but after having not thrown in 18 months I'm not sure he'll be able to handle 200 innings. It's not so much a health thing as a fatigue issue. I really don't want to see him run out of gas during the stretch run...

That is a legitimate concern, though I would hope the lack of mileage combined with youth would offset fatigue concerns.

In essence, here's what I'm anticipating

Richards - 30+ starts and a 3.25 ERA

Heaney - 30+ starts and a 3.50 ERA

Weaver - 15 starts and a 4.50 ERA before coming down with a mystery illness that puts him out until the last of September when he gets his victory lap ( a couple starts).

Wilson - 15 starts before being traded and a 3.50 ERA.

Santiago - 15 starts and a 4.25 ERA before being traded.

Shoemaker - 10 starts and a 4.00 ERA

Tropeano - 12 starts and a 3.50 ERA

Skaggs - 8 starts and 4.00 ERA.

Smith - 3 starts and a 5 ERA.

Basically I see us being within a game or two of .500 and 5 games at the trade deadline. We'll trade Wilson, Santiago, Escobar, Nava, Kubitza and Joe Smith for prospects. We'll finish 4th in the West and enter the winter with a protected pick, 40 million in payroll relief and an owner unwilling to spend any of it as he gears up to sell the team.

I'm also thinking that people might be a bit disappointed with Heaney, who to me is more of a future #3 starter than the #2 most seem to expect/hope he is.

While I don't know disappointment is the right word, I tend to agree with this -- Heaney's 2015 was nearly identical to Skaggs 2014 save for ERA, it might be wise to tone down expectations.   Skaggs FWIW is a guy I'm actually excited about, TJ and all.  He's one of the few real breakout candidates on the team.  

I like the idea of Skaggs pitching for Weaver during away starts. Of course it won't happen, because of respecting the Proven Veteran.

Maybe you left something out of your master plan. It would require a six man rotation in order to make that happen. It has nothing to do with Proven Veteran but instead math. It's not as though you can bounce Skaggs back and forth from Salt Lake, it would be messing up his throwing schedule and that of Weavers as well.