• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Braves talked to 15 teams about Simmons

howie

The Angels gutted their farmsystem for him. 

That's what frustrates me. 

I may come off as an idiot in the future, but I wish the Angels shopped Heaney around instead of Newcomb.

I think he's going to regress this year and his end of season numbers will be closer to his last 8 starts(5.06 ERA) than his first 10(2.43 ERA)

If the rumors are true, they are shopping Heaney around right now, which doesn't make sense now that Newcomb and Chris Ellis are gone.

Edited by Poozy

The Braves were selling hard and looking for a team willing to sacrifice top of the line prospects for a defensive wizard of a shortstop with serious questions with the bat. But teams willing to do it would instead describe it as a once in a lifetime opportunity to acquire a young elite SS, under a team friendly contract.

You know who else matches that description (all D, not bat) perfectly? Eric Stamets. You reaction Is probably "who?" The answer is, he's the prospect we gave up for David Murphy. Stamets is neither as good offensively or defensively as Simmons. But he'd probably be in the top 3 defensively and offer nothing at the plate. Simmons is the clear best in the field, and offers very little at the plate. But the end result really wouldn't be different at all. Each game, you'd witness a run saving grab, and a rally killing strikeout/groundout.

I won't say we sent Newcomb and Ellis off for nothing, but I will say that we SEVERELY overpaid, and now don't have to worry about SS for the next 5 years. I think if it were me, I probably would've kept Newcomb and dangled Ellis for a 2B or 3B.

Dude give me a freaking break... You're comparing Eric Stamets who hasn't made one start in the major leagues to the best Defesnive shortstop in the game? This overrating of Angels prospects has become comical to the point that I don't even take anything you say seriously anymore. Yes, it can be argued that it was a questionable use of resources but the Angels FO obviously thinks the bat is going to be better than we are giving him credit for. Let's see how it plays out before it's considered a "severe overpay" did it suck to lose Aybar, Ellis, AND Newcomb? HELL YEAH but when there were fifteen teams going after the guy there is obviously something more to him than Eric Stamets.

Yeah... it really is a laughable comparison.  Stamets is 24 and hasn't played above AA ball, and hit .197 over 33 games after the trade.  The guy will never make an impact as a regular player in the bigs. 

Simmons was on the Braves at 22 years old and was pretty much a .300 hitter in the minors. 

The Braves were selling hard and looking for a team willing to sacrifice top of the line prospects for a defensive wizard of a shortstop with serious questions with the bat. But teams willing to do it would instead describe it as a once in a lifetime opportunity to acquire a young elite SS, under a team friendly contract.

You know who else matches that description (all D, not bat) perfectly? Eric Stamets. You reaction Is probably "who?" The answer is, he's the prospect we gave up for David Murphy. Stamets is neither as good offensively or defensively as Simmons. But he'd probably be in the top 3 defensively and offer nothing at the plate. Simmons is the clear best in the field, and offers very little at the plate. But the end result really wouldn't be different at all. Each game, you'd witness a run saving grab, and a rally killing strikeout/groundout.

I won't say we sent Newcomb and Ellis off for nothing, but I will say that we SEVERELY overpaid, and now don't have to worry about SS for the next 5 years. I think if it were me, I probably would've kept Newcomb and dangled Ellis for a 2B or 3B.

SIe7R6k.jpg

I think it is a fair argument that we could have used Newcomb to get better help on offense. But how many proven bats (young and under club control for a long time) were actually available?

And shortstop is such a hard position to fill. Even if you could have traded Newcomb for someone like Yellich, it is much easier to acquire an outfielder through free agency than a shortstop.

I doubt Eppler went into the job eyeing Simmons, but when the opportunity came up he had to jump on it.

Plus, have you guys seen Newcomb's walk rate? When was the last time a guy with a 4.9 bb/9 ratio succeeded in the bigs?

I don't want to join the pile up on Scotty, but I do disagree that it was a "severe" overpay. The Angels sent one excellent and one good prospect for a 26 year old 3 WAR player. That seems about right. Maybe this trade looks bad in a few years, but for now the Angels got an amazing defensive player.

Kinda underselling him a bit there AJ. He's averaged 4.3 WAR for his career.

This is gold.

This is a trade of opportunity and it appears that Eppler recognized that.  The question is how does this trade affect his overall plan for next season as well as the next 5 seasons.  Until the Angels can demonstrate some better consistency in player development, I don't lose too much sleep over prospects being traded for established major league talent.