• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Potential Trade Targets

First off, absolutely no to the Tigers scenario. Kinsler can stay the F off this field.

Players are more than stats. Personality matters. The Angels don't need a guy like Kinsler on the team with his contract. Not when two of the best 2b are on the FA market.

I'd like to see the Angels get Todd Frazier from the Reds. It would likely cost a lot. Young starters, etc. they may not have the depth needed.

If they don't get him or maybe Walker from the Pirates, I'd concentrate on LF via trade (David Peralta being my first choice there). Sign one of the two FA 2b nearly everyone covets. Then let the kids battle for 3b. That should leave enough money for a frontline starter via FA..

Edited by Hubs

I hope that Eppler puts an emphasis on acquiring some power arms. I am tired of going to the pen for soft tossers.

Yes!

I still want Cespedes. We need a player with that tenacity and heart. The hustle plays he make are contagious and would give this team an identity its sorely lacking.

Elvis Andrus ss
8 years/$120M (2015-22), plus 2023 option

• 8 years/$120M (2015-22), plus 2023 vesting option
    • signed extension with Texas 4/4/13
    • $2M signing bonus.
    • 15:$15M, 16:$15M, 17:$15M, 18:$15M, 19:$15M, 20:$15M,21:$14M, 22:$14M, 23:$15M club option
    • 2023 option guaranteed with 550 plate appearances in 2022 or 1,100 PAs in 2021-22 combined
    • 2023 option becomes player option with trade or waiver claim
    • limited no-trade protection (may block deals to 10 clubs beginning in 2016)
    • if traded, Andrus receives full no-trade protection with new club
    • may opt out of contract after 2018 and 2019 seasons

Yes. There are rumors the Pirates might even non-tender Walker a contract because he is projected to make about $10MM in arbitration.

This is one of those cases where if we offer up a prospect or perhaps a mid-tier bullpen arm the Pirates might do it simply to get something back in return.

I think Dochalo or IP pointed out in another thread that he could move to 3B as well which is an option and I think his defense could improve slightly there too.

It's definitely an option in my mind but will be more difficult to manage if the Luxury Tax is our ceiling (and the more I've written my Primer series the more I sincerely believe we will blow past the Luxury Tax in 2016 only).

Sounds like we'll need to offer up a young cost controlled SP to get that done. Hard to say who they will want. Tropiano is a possibility, but they might be able to get a better offer elsewhere. Santiago is not as good and also arbitration eligible. They don't have to trade him so we'll need to make it worth their while.

First off, absolutely no to the Tigers scenario. Kinsler can stay the F off this field.

Players are more than stats. Personality matters. The Angels don't need a guy like Kinsler on the team with his contract. Not when two of the best 2b are on the FA market.

I'd like to see the Angels get Todd Frazier from the Reds. It would likely cost a lot. Young starters, etc. they may not have the depth needed.

If they don't get him or maybe Walker from the Pirates, I'd concentrate on LF via trade (David Peralta being my first choice there). Sign one of the two FA 2b nearly everyone covets. Then let the kids battle for 3b. That should leave enough money for a frontline starter via FA..

I actually tend to agree with this. It's hard to say without being able to get inside the heads of the other team's GMs. 

One issue is, just about all of the good options for 2b are going to get as much or more than Kinsler is currently being paid. 

Another thing, after reading this thread I feel like there are a lot more options at second base than anywhere else, which might keep down the cost. We definitely should bring one in.

I am also open to the idea of letting Cowert / Kubitza battle for third, but only in the case that the team adequately addresses 2B and LF.

I am also open to the idea of letting Cowert / Kubitza battle for third, but only in the case that the team adequately addresses 2B and LF.

I'm not sure those two guys are ready.  I wasn't too impressed with them when they got some playing time this season.  Yes, I do know it is a small sample size.

Honestly, I think the Angels need to to make a qualifying offer to Freese.  He didn't have the "contract year" he wanted to have due to injury and he may accept the QO and that would give Cowart/Kubitza one more year to get ready.

Then the Angels focus on LF, 2B, SP and RP.

I'm not sure those two guys are ready.  I wasn't too impressed with them when they got some playing time this season.  Yes, I do know it is a small sample size.

Honestly, I think the Angels need to to make a qualifying offer to Freese.  He didn't have the "contract year" he wanted to have due to injury and he may accept the QO and that would give Cowart/Kubitza one more year to get ready.

Then the Angels focus on LF, 2B, SP and RP.

I agree with your take on Kubitza / Cowert. That said, we have a lot of holes to fill, and as tempting as it might be to bring Freese back he hasn't exactly been part of the solution here and on the QO he is going to be very expensive which could hurt our ability to fill other holes.

I would like to see the team bring in a Zobrist, or maybe Walker as mentioned earlier, someone who can play 2B and 3B, so we have Giovatella available as a fall back if those two don't perform.

I agree with your take on Kubitza / Cowert. That said, we have a lot of holes to fill, and as tempting as it might be to bring Freese back he hasn't exactly been part of the solution here and on the QO he is going to be very expensive which could hurt our ability to fill other holes.

I would like to see the team bring in a Zobrist, or maybe Walker as mentioned earlier, someone who can play 2B and 3B, so we have Giovatella available as a fall back if those two don't perform.

Would you offer Freese a QO?  Worse case, one year, to transition to Cowart?  Best case, he accepts and we get a sandwich.  

The biggest thing about Zobrist is how much will he really get?  A .800+ ops guy isn't that common.  Hell Heyward a .770 ish OPS guy is looking at getting bank.  And with Zobrist able to play multiple positions and have a very live bat.  I think people are underestimating how much he may get.  Someone will probably offer him 3/$60 to get him signed quick.  And it might even go higher.  Because as infield options goes.  He may be on the top of the list.  The con is of course he might revert to the mid .700 TB days.

Would you offer Freese a QO?  Worse case, one year, to transition to Cowart?  Best case, he accepts and we get a sandwich.  

The biggest thing about Zobrist is how much will he really get?  A .800+ ops guy isn't that common.  Hell Heyward a .770 ish OPS guy is looking at getting bank.  And with Zobrist able to play multiple positions and have a very live bat.  I think people are underestimating how much he may get.  Someone will probably offer him 3/$60 to get him signed quick.  And it might even go higher.  Because as infield options goes.  He may be on the top of the list.  The con is of course he might revert to the mid .700 TB days.

If Zobrist gets 20 million a year, the Angels need to look elsewhere.  If Daniel Murphy doesn't get a QO, he'd be an option, but people expect him to get the QO.

It looks like it may make more sense for the Angels to sign two SP's and then use some of the young arms to trade for a new 2B and 3B.  Then sign a LF free agent.

Zobrist will get about 4 years/$70-80MM give or take. Also I think it is critical that the Angels sign him which I will elaborate more on in the Primer series.

I think Zobrist gets 3/$50m

His WAR numbers and his age indicate he should get more, but I still sense a bit of old school in front offices that won't value his skill set quite as highly. 

I'm on the fence about the QO with Freese. I think if we offer it he will accept it because it will severely impact his value on the FA market. That said it depends on what our budget actually ends up being. If we really are right up against our cap I don't think we can risk it. If we feel his $16ish million isn't going to impact our ability to sign someone else, then why not. 

I think Zobrist gets 3/$50m

His WAR numbers and his age indicate he should get more, but I still sense a bit of old school in front offices that won't value his skill set quite as highly. 

I'm on the fence about the QO with Freese. I think if we offer it he will accept it because it will severely impact his value on the FA market. That said it depends on what our budget actually ends up being. If we really are right up against our cap I don't think we can risk it. If we feel his $16ish million isn't going to impact our ability to sign someone else, then why not. 

I should also mention the precedent for my 4/70-80MM contract is Victor Martinez who signed a 4/68 and he was one year older than Zobrist when he signed so prepare to pay up this free agent season.