• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Potential Trade Targets

It'll be an interesting offseason.  Players may not get what we all think.  But it'll depend on which teams pulls the trigger.  Was it this past offseason, where players were available real late?  

I can see some of these guys signed quick.  Trades made quick.  And even players available that we didn't think were available due to teams signing someone.  

Then there could be one's that ride out the market.  Of course the danger in that is they could get shut out and take lower deals later.

I should also mention the precedent for my 4/70-80MM contract is Victor Martinez who signed a 4/68 and he was one year older than Zobrist when he signed so prepare to pay up this free agent season.

Again, you base these statements on facts so I can't really say "LOL UR A STOOPID" but I am going to have to disagree with this one as well. Vmart was coming off a season where he put up a 172 OPS+ and a 5.4 WAR and finished 2nd in MVP voting. He was getting paid.

Zobrist, IMO, will get a 3 year deal with an option. Probably something like 3/51 with an option for a 4th year at 13 million or so. I think Vmart being seeing as primarily a DH was what netted him a 4th year.

Again, you base these statements on facts so I can't really say "LOL UR A STOOPID" but I am going to have to disagree with this one as well. Vmart was coming off a season where he put up a 172 OPS+ and a 5.4 WAR and finished 2nd in MVP voting. He was getting paid.

Zobrist, IMO, will get a 3 year deal with an option. Probably something like 3/51 with an option for a 4th year at 13 million or so. I think Vmart being seeing as primarily a DH was what netted him a 4th year.

I hope I'm wrong too because we need to sign him.

I think the vmart comp will be close actually.  The Tigers tend to overpay to keep their existing players.  Even though Vmart was far and away a better hitter that year vs. Zobrist,  I think zobrist gets some back because of his defensive ability.  Plus, vmart had some previous seasons where he was very good offensively, but nothing like last year.  I think someone will give Zobrist the 4th year.  For every old school team out there that doesn't value him appropriately, there is going to be one that does.  I think he gets 4/70.  

An interesting potential buy low candidate is Ian Desmond.  If he gets a qual offer from Was, he might take it though to rebuild some of his value.  If he doesn't get one, he could be a nice option for 2b and then he could shift back to SS next year when Aybar is a FA.  

I will get it started. 

I think there is some potential to get a deal done with the Tigers. They are getting older and expensive and aren't quite as competitive as they have been.

Anibal Sanchez (0.9 WAR in 2015) owed $37m over the next 2 years

Ian Kinsler (4.2 WAR in 2015) owed $35m over 3 years.

This is mostly a salary dump. Sanchez performance has been disappointing, and the Tigers would love to get out from under that contract. Kindler, on the other side is a little bit under paid. There is definite value coming the Angels way, but at a high cost. We'd have to give something of moderate value in return and I have 2 options.

Kyle Kubitza or Johnny Giovatella.

Kubitza has more long term value, while Johnny is a viable option at second base to replace Kinsler, while freeing up over $70m to spend else where.

The viability of the deal depends on the goals of the Tigers next season, and just exactly how they view their roster.

I love the Kinsler idea. Naturally Sanchez is far less appealing but if we had to take on that contract to get Kinsler I'd probably do it, especially if it was just for Kubitza or Giavotella (or even both, I'd still be totally fine with that). What about how much it would take to get Kinsler without taking on the Sanchez contract? Giavotella makes some sense, it gives them a temporary 2B option but it would obviously take much more than that. Kubitza is a good idea too, but realistically we're looking at another prospect on top of that I think (or maybe a Santiago ype?). But all of this is conditional on the Tigers deciding they need to re-tool, which they do but they may not see. I think they should be looking at a partial rebuild, shedding a bit of excess salary and re-stocking the farm a bit before going hard to top up talent at some point in the next two years. But who knows how they will view it.

I love the Kinsler idea. Naturally Sanchez is far less appealing but if we had to take on that contract to get Kinsler I'd probably do it, especially if it was just for Kubitza or Giavotella (or even both, I'd still be totally fine with that). What about how much it would take to get Kinsler without taking on the Sanchez contract? Giavotella makes some sense, it gives them a temporary 2B option but it would obviously take much more than that. Kubitza is a good idea too, but realistically we're looking at another prospect on top of that I think (or maybe a Santiago ype?). But all of this is conditional on the Tigers deciding they need to re-tool, which they do but they may not see. I think they should be looking at a partial rebuild, shedding a bit of excess salary and re-stocking the farm a bit before going hard to top up talent at some point in the next two years. But who knows how they will view it.

If we don't take Sanchez I think it would cost Newcomb, or potentially some combination of current talent we wouldn't be willing to give up.

Santiago for Plouffe makes a lot of sense actually.  

I like that idea.  Then trade for Neil Walker for 2B.

Of course, these trades will mean dealing pitching, so the the Angels will have to sign one or two free agent starting pitchers to make up for that.

Seems Plouffe is about average defensively, which would be an upgrade over Freese. And he has a little bit more pop offensively than Freese. He is projected to make about $7 mil in arbitration this year. And he is about 4 years younger.

Edited by greginpsca

I don't know why anyone wouldn't believe that a Brock Holt who is 28 years old and above the age of a prospect wouldn't possibly be available in a trade. The dude may only have 2-4 years left and those are club controlled....Then he's rolling down the back slope. Why wouldn't Boston sell high on him. Cost controlled blah blah blah he's 28 years old! Boston got him as a throw in from the Pirates in the Joel Hanrahan trade for either Jerry Sands or Ivan DeJesus.....

I'm interested in knowing what your thoughts are on Zobrist. Where do you play him? Second/Third or a roving guy like he has always been? He's only played 8 games in his entire career at Third Base..... I would put him at 3B also but he hasn't played there for more than a duck fart. Due to the players in front of him Longo, Moose, Lawrie... Is that based on ability or need?

Also, I believe Walker stays in Pittsburgh as he is a local guy and they have made moves to keep him in the organization as he came up as a catcher and moved him to second base. He will probably sign a long term deal this Winter with the Bucs.

Supposedly there is talk of the Pirates letting him go.  They have a young in-house option that is ready to be their 2B.

I'm interested in knowing what your thoughts are on Zobrist. Where do you play him? Second/Third or a roving guy like he has always been? He's only played 8 games in his entire career at Third Base..... I would put him at 3B also but he hasn't played there for more than a duck fart. Due to the players in front of him Longo, Moose, Lawrie... Is that based on ability or need?

There is talk of him making up to 18 million a year with his new contract.  I don't think you give him that type of money.

So, then VC why wouldn't the Pirates move him (Walker) to 1B and deal Alvarez due to his left handed power potential? To lefty starved teams like us?..... Which they would get back a better return? Left handed hitters that hit 30 Bombs don't grow on trees regardless of their OBP or Strike out #'s.

Edited by SlappyUtilityGuy