• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Potential Trade Targets

I know we all love to throw out names of good players on other teams that we'd like to see in an Angel uniform. Typically those names are a tad unrealistic. In light of this I thought it would be nice to compile a list of potential trade targets that are reasonable. Players need to be potentially available and also at a price the Angels could theoretically afford.

This is something of a logical exercise so let's set a few parameters.

• Limit trade targets to players who are potential upgrades at positions the Angels need (LF, 2B, 3B, C, #1 or 2 SP, RP)
  • List our potential trading chip that could get the deal done: Newcomb, Cron, Gio, Santiago, Tropiano, Shoemaker, money or other players. Value changing hands should be close to equal, this mean talent (i.e. expected WAR) and monetary cost (contract, typically priced around $8m per WAR on the FA market).
  • Include a reason the team would be willing to trade said players. Reasons include: viable in house replacement, salary dump, he sucks (try to avoid this one), or we are over paying (also probably not the best reason, but this is how we got David Freese so it happens).

I'm interested in seeing who you guys think we might be able to get.

I will get it started. 

I think there is some potential to get a deal done with the Tigers. They are getting older and expensive and aren't quite as competitive as they have been.

Anibal Sanchez (0.9 WAR in 2015) owed $37m over the next 2 years

Ian Kinsler (4.2 WAR in 2015) owed $35m over 3 years.

This is mostly a salary dump. Sanchez performance has been disappointing, and the Tigers would love to get out from under that contract. Kindler, on the other side is a little bit under paid. There is definite value coming the Angels way, but at a high cost. We'd have to give something of moderate value in return and I have 2 options.

Kyle Kubitza or Johnny Giovatella.

Kubitza has more long term value, while Johnny is a viable option at second base to replace Kinsler, while freeing up over $70m to spend else where.

The viability of the deal depends on the goals of the Tigers next season, and just exactly how they view their roster.

Edited by AngelsLakersFan

As you know.  I'm big on Brock Holt.  What it will take, not sure.  I think Santiago is too much.  I don't think they would take a discounted CJ Wilson.  I don't think I want to give up on Shoemaker already.  They won't want Weaver.  And Heaney is way too much.  Tropeano?  

As you know.  I'm big on Brock Holt.  What it will take, not sure.  I think Santiago is too much.  I don't think they would take a discounted CJ Wilson.  I don't think I want to give up on Shoemaker already.  They won't want Weaver.  And Heaney is way too much.  Tropeano?  

He would be a nice pick up. Let's take a closer look.

Brock Holt - 2015 WAR 2.4, Projected WAR: 1.4, so let's call him a 2 WAR player. He'll be 28 years old next season. Looks like he has 4 years left of club control. 

He has that All Star tag on him so he might cost a little more than you'd expect. I think Santiago + Kubitza might be fair. Santiago is arb eligible, and has just 2 years left of control, coming off of 3 straight seasons around the 1 WAR mark.

Looking at the depth charts Holt is the Sox main backup at second, third, short and corner outfield. In this case I think the Sox have no interest in Santiago + Kubitza, or even Tropiano. This becomes a scenario where we would need to over pay to get him. 

Verdict: Highly Unlikely

Santiago and one of the younger pen arms (Bedrosian or Morin) for Martin Prado. I think Santiago's a decent trade chip, but it's not like teams are blind to his second half regression to normality. Something needs to be added to sweeten the pot, Bedrosian and Morin have upside but they're inconsistent. Sign Leake or Lackey, I actually like the idea of Lackey coming back, and then using some more pitching to maybe stock up the upper minors. I gotta look over some more farms for some matchups.

Cleveland.  Santiago, Shoemaker and Ellis for Brantley and Trevor Bauer.

No way. We are getting the two best players in the deal. 

I could see the Indians giving up Bauer, but not for any of our pieces. I can't imagine them trading Brantley (owed just $25m over the next 3 seasons) but if they did the package would center around Newcomb, and I don't think that will work for the Angels.

Verdict: Move on

But, outside of him being able to play multiple positions.  Boston needs pitching, especially starting pitching.  It's pretty brutal there at least this season.  So something that might be considered.

I agree but I think we are in no mans land on this one. Heaney is too much to give up. Tropiano is too high risk for them. If Shoemaker could've stuck in the rotation this year he might've been an option but I think they'd pass on him too. Oddly enough I could see them taking a chance on Skaggs. His upside is more than they need and when you add in the downside it might just make sense. That said I don't think the Angels could make that move. 

I agree but I think we are in no mans land on this one. Heaney is too much to give up. Tropiano is too high risk for them. If Shoemaker could've stuck in the rotation this year he might've been an option but I think they'd pass on him too. Oddly enough I could see them taking a chance on Skaggs. His upside is more than they need and when you add in the downside it might just make sense. That said I don't think the Angels could make that move. 

You are probably right.  Might make more sense if the Sux get shut out of the big pitchers though.  Angels at least need to kick the tires.

I like the idea here, but have a suggestion:  Perhaps it would be "cleaner" to organize by position.  For example, dedicate a thread to finding a left fielder.  Then a new thread for a third baseman.  I think it might lead to clarity and avoid the "throwing shit into a fan" feeling these threads sometimes take on. 

Just a thought...Carry on, lads! (and ladies)

He would be a nice pick up. Let's take a closer look.

Brock Holt - 2015 WAR 2.4, Projected WAR: 1.4, so let's call him a 2 WAR player. He'll be 28 years old next season. Looks like he has 4 years left of club control. 

He has that All Star tag on him so he might cost a little more than you'd expect. I think Santiago + Kubitza might be fair. Santiago is arb eligible, and has just 2 years left of control, coming off of 3 straight seasons around the 1 WAR mark.

Looking at the depth charts Holt is the Sox main backup at second, third, short and corner outfield. In this case I think the Sox have no interest in Santiago + Kubitza, or even Tropiano. This becomes a scenario where we would need to over pay to get him. 

Verdict: Highly Unlikely

I disagree with your "highly unlikely" stance and think there is a decent chance that the Sox would go for Santiago and Kubitza for Holt. Santiago, like Holt, was also an all star last season so I doubt that would play into it much. Holt is a solid player in that he brings OBP and the ability to play multiple positions, but its not like he's amazing. He only had a 96 OPS+ last year, granted a lot of that is because he played in Fenway, which isn't really fair since his game is more likely to translate to other stadiums than most BoSox players.

Dear front office,

There's nothing solid about Santiago's second half performance. In fact, on the fecal consistency chart I mailed in last week, he fell well below "solid", and closer to "explosive diarrhea". I'd much rather trust Shoe or CJ who qualified as "soft serve" or even Weaver's "the squirts".

Signed, this just got weird.

With the advent of the 2nd wild card, teams are gonna find themselves trying to figure out if they have what it takes to get to the post season.  The NL seems a little more obvious for next year considering that the cubs, cards, and pirates are all candidates to win 90+ games.  Plus, the Nats and Mets should be right there as well.  This could leave quite a few teams with little to no shot. 

The AL is a bit of a different story.  86 wins got it done and could again next year.  

So, for the Halos to find a trade partner, a few criteria need to be met:

1.  We could take on some salary from a productive yet expensive player on a team set to rebuild.  

possible candidate:  Cinnci, Colorado, Milwaukee, Atlanta, Colorado, Arizona, Miami, CWS, Oakland, Tampa

2.  We don't have the farm to get an established you player under club control unless we give up Newcomb.   

3.  We shouldn't trade Newcomb

4.  We don't have a lot of pieces that we can afford to give up at the major league level.  It's all on the pitching side and the players with the most value need to be kept.  

Possible candidate:  Wilson, Santiago, Shoemaker

5.  We need to find a team that has position players to spare and needs pitching yet wants to win now and needs major league ready starters.

Possible candidate:  Giants, Dodgers, Jays, Cubs, Dbacks, Tigers

I think the Tigers are going to try to add and not subtract and they need pitching.  Simon and Greene suck.  The moves they made to get those guys reminded me of when we got Blanton and Hanson.  You just knew they were gonna suck.  Sanchez had an off year, but up until 2015 he was good.  I think they're gonna keep him.  Kinsler as well.  Their sell off will be next year.  

I have been talking about Prado for awhile.  He's a great fit, but they might keep him because he isn't that expensive and he's a clubhouse leader.  But if they ask, he's one of my first choices

A Brandon Phillips and Jay Bruce salary dump could be interesting but I think Cinnci is gonna want prospects and not major leaguers.  

Phillips is owed 2/27 and Bruce 3/25.  Plus, I am not sure Bruce is that good and Phillips is entering his 35yo season and is a pain in the ass.  A change of scenery could help both those guys.  Might not take much to get them though.  

Seems that the price tag on Cargo is too high relative to him being in Colorado and coming to Anaheim.  His numbers could plummet.  

Blackmon is interesting.  But still.  Colorado.  He did have 43 steals and a .347obp this year though.  

Gardner could be an option with Epplers previous employer.  Tropeano could be a good start because he's a ground ball guy.  

They could revisit the Wilson for Ethier idea.  

Another team I forgot to mention is Baltimore.  They're losing Wieters and Davis so they could rebuild and make Jones available although, as I have mentioned previously, I don't like paying for defense and then not putting that player in the spot where they get most of their value.  

David Peralta is a pipe dream, but I'd love to pry him from Az some way some how.  That would take Newcomb though.  

Atlanta needs to trade Freeman.  They won't, but they should.  I think it would take Newcomb as well, but Cron, Ellis + could be an interesting package. 

Then there is Braun. Not even sure if Arte would want him, but he'd fit nicely.  

With the advent of the 2nd wild card, teams are gonna find themselves trying to figure out if they have what it takes to get to the post season.  The NL seems a little more obvious for next year considering that the cubs, cards, and pirates are all candidates to win 90+ games.  Plus, the Nats and Mets should be right there as well.  This could leave quite a few teams with little to no shot. 

Not to mention the Dodgers and Giants... Plus, there always seems to be that random team that contends for a spot, like the Mets in the NL and Twins in the AL this season.

I won't give specific examples/thoughts here because I will touch on it later on in my Primer series but it is my general opinion that if Arte opens the pocketbook we will be better served by purchasing two or even three position players off the free agent market and then use some of our MLB players/pitchers and prospect pitching to acquire one young, elite controllable starting pitcher. There have been rumblings about certain teams testing the trade waters with young stud starters so I'd personally like to see the Angels trade for one.