• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Potential Trade Targets

Well it may not necessarily be prospects. If the Orioles want to retool to compete if we sent, just as an example, C.J. Cron, Sean Newcomb, and Kaleb Cowart would that do it? Cron is already in the Majors and would give them a replacement 1st base and Cowart would be a replacement 3B with Newcomb in the Minors.... 15 years of control for 3 years isn't shabby?

Or alternatively send Matt Shoemaker, Sean Newcomb and Kaleb Cowart? Same thing 15 for 3? This isn't a deep think scenario for me so that may be too much or it may be to light but the Orioles are certainly at a point where they need to know where they're going with their young superstar.

Signing Machado to a long term deal will definitely drive their future plans in a different direction as you don't want to waste those years of control. With so many holes to fill on their team (LF, 1B, RF, C, SP = Pearce, Davis, Parra, Wieters, Chen) they have to be nervous about how they will replace all of that significant production.

This is good thinking. I doubt the Orioles move Machado, but the bigger idea is solid and that is Newcomb, Ellis and Ward  can and should be in play for these kinds of players. 

I'll say it again: Teams never know how desperate other teams will be, so every player is worth listening on.  

I guess that I don't really care WHO the Angels trade for guys like Newcomb.  I only care that there's a purpose and that it's driven by analytics and that it's fair. (And a young guy who is cost controlled and that the Angels would have for many years.)

You're going to pay Cespedes/Heyward upward to $150M for 6-8 years. If you can get Puig ... you're only committed for three years under $20M. If you can get the Dodgers to pay half of Wilsons salary ... then you save $10M. Leaves a lot of money to go after a #1 starter and whatever else you need to improve the bullpen or offense.

Personally, I would consider trading Newcombe if it came down to getting Puig ... Heaney?

Speaking strictly from a player on the field prospective,  I like the Wilson for Puig part, especially if we could shed a good bit of Wilson's contract. However, the million's of dollar question no one here could probably answer is, how messed up in the head is this guy and what will be his impact on this team going forward? A couple extra OPS+ points might not be worth the experiment. Who knows though?

I really hope we don't continue trading off our youth. 

For those that think a Wilson for Puig + cash.  I don't think it will ever happen.  Even straight up, I don't think it will ever happen.  Puig has 4 more years of club control for dirt cheap.  Even if you pay him his last 3 years in arbitration numbers, he will still be cheap compared to what FA's may make this offseason.  

Someone will trade them good prospects or players for him.  For some reason, I can see the Marlins making a play for him.  

For those that think a Wilson for Puig + cash. I don't think it will ever happen. Even straight up, I don't think it will ever happen. Puig has 4 more years of club control for dirt cheap. Even if you pay him his last 3 years in arbitration numbers, he will still be cheap compared to what FA's may make this offseason.

Someone will trade them good prospects or players for him. For some reason, I can see the Marlins making a play for him.

I doubt the Dodgers will trade Puig for starters. Puig is under contract as a free agent for three more years for less than $20M. It would take a lot more than Wilson to pry him away from the Dogs. It would be more than likely a three player deal for Puig.

One would believe the Dogs would trade one of Crawford, Ethier, or Puig.

Ethier may be the best choice. He's owed $38M for two more years of service.

I reference this briefly in the Primer series but I'll throw it out there for discussion.

At least one well known baseball writer has suggested that the Orioles are at a crossroads in terms of what direction they are going in. That writer suggested that the main decision revolves around Manny Machado as he only has 3 years of control left and is going to make about $5MM this season and it will only go up. The author suggested that the Orioles either need to sign him to a long term extension (and remember they are a smaller market team) or trade him.

The Orioles have multiple holes to fill this year as they have a ton of FA's leaving the team. If he were available would you be willing to trade a package that would almost certainly center around Sean Newcomb. Personally I'd sacrifice Newcomb in a heartbeat but how about the rest of you?

Edit: To be clear it will take more than Newcomb but if he was the centerpiece would you?

I'd trade Newcomb in a heartbeat for Machado. My guess is the asking price for Machado is insane though. 3 years of a 6+ WAR 3B is very valuable.

I'm sure they'd ask for Newcomb, Calhoun and more. 

I doubt the Dodgers will trade Puig for starters. Puig is under contract as a free agent for three more years for less than $20M. It would take a lot more than Wilson to pry him away from the Dogs. It would be more than likely a three player deal for Puig.

He actually has 4 years left.  He has 3 years on his contract.  Look at his service time, and he'll have a bit over 2 years.  The unusual part of his contract is that at year 3, arbitration for him probably 2, he can opt out of his contract and accept arbitration.  And no, for those that think, opting out of his contract does not mean he becomes a free agent.  There is nothing on Cot's that would suggest that he would become a free agent.  Just that he can opt out of his contract to get to arbitration.  

What about Puig AND Ethier? Rotate everyone in and out at DH.