• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Potential Trade Targets

I disagree with your "highly unlikely" stance and think there is a decent chance that the Sox would go for Santiago and Kubitza for Holt. Santiago, like Holt, was also an all star last season so I doubt that would play into it much. Holt is a solid player in that he brings OBP and the ability to play multiple positions, but its not like he's amazing. He only had a 96 OPS+ last year, granted a lot of that is because he played in Fenway, which isn't really fair since his game is more likely to translate to other stadiums than most BoSox players.

It's possible, but if Im Boston I'm giving up 4 years of the best player in the trade. In exchange they are getting 2 years of a 5th starter, and 6 years of an old prospect that the Angels are afraid of giving a job to. Highly unlikely is probably a bit strong, but I just don't see the motivation for Boston here. They want starting pitching, but if they are going to give up something valuable off their current team I think they want someone better than Santiago. 

I won't give specific examples/thoughts here because I will touch on it later on in my Primer series but it is my general opinion that if Arte opens the pocketbook we will be better served by purchasing two or even three position players off the free agent market and then use some of our MLB players/pitchers and prospect pitching to acquire one young, elite controllable starting pitcher. There have been rumblings about certain teams testing the trade waters with young stud starters so I'd personally like to see the Angels trade for one.

I am absolutely terrified of the idea of trading for a young, cost controlled stud starting pitcher. The first question you have to ask is 'why are they trading this guy?' The next question is, how long before the name 'Tommy John' is uttered. 

I said it in another thread, I can see Dipoto using his knowledge of the Angels' farm system to shore-up his own and dump salary at the same time by trading Cano to the Halos.

I would not trade with Seattle, if I'm Eppier. You have to think that as of right now Jerry has a better grasp of the Angels system than he does.

With the advent of the 2nd wild card, teams are gonna find themselves trying to figure out if they have what it takes to get to the post season.  The NL seems a little more obvious for next year considering that the cubs, cards, and pirates are all candidates to win 90+ games.  Plus, the Nats and Mets should be right there as well.  This could leave quite a few teams with little to no shot. 

The AL is a bit of a different story.  86 wins got it done and could again next year.  

So, for the Halos to find a trade partner, a few criteria need to be met:

1.  We could take on some salary from a productive yet expensive player on a team set to rebuild.  

possible candidate:  Cinnci, Colorado, Milwaukee, Atlanta, Colorado, Arizona, Miami, CWS, Oakland, Tampa

2.  We don't have the farm to get an established you player under club control unless we give up Newcomb.   

3.  We shouldn't trade Newcomb

4.  We don't have a lot of pieces that we can afford to give up at the major league level.  It's all on the pitching side and the players with the most value need to be kept.  

Possible candidate:  Wilson, Santiago, Shoemaker

5.  We need to find a team that has position players to spare and needs pitching yet wants to win now and needs major league ready starters.

Possible candidate:  Giants, Dodgers, Jays, Cubs, Dbacks, Tigers

I think the Tigers are going to try to add and not subtract and they need pitching.  Simon and Greene suck.  The moves they made to get those guys reminded me of when we got Blanton and Hanson.  You just knew they were gonna suck.  Sanchez had an off year, but up until 2015 he was good.  I think they're gonna keep him.  Kinsler as well.  Their sell off will be next year.  

I have been talking about Prado for awhile.  He's a great fit, but they might keep him because he isn't that expensive and he's a clubhouse leader.  But if they ask, he's one of my first choices

A Brandon Phillips and Jay Bruce salary dump could be interesting but I think Cinnci is gonna want prospects and not major leaguers.  

Phillips is owed 2/27 and Bruce 3/25.  Plus, I am not sure Bruce is that good and Phillips is entering his 35yo season and is a pain in the ass.  A change of scenery could help both those guys.  Might not take much to get them though.  

Seems that the price tag on Cargo is too high relative to him being in Colorado and coming to Anaheim.  His numbers could plummet.  

Blackmon is interesting.  But still.  Colorado.  He did have 43 steals and a .347obp this year though.  

Gardner could be an option with Epplers previous employer.  Tropeano could be a good start because he's a ground ball guy.  

They could revisit the Wilson for Ethier idea.  

Another team I forgot to mention is Baltimore.  They're losing Wieters and Davis so they could rebuild and make Jones available although, as I have mentioned previously, I don't like paying for defense and then not putting that player in the spot where they get most of their value.  

David Peralta is a pipe dream, but I'd love to pry him from Az some way some how.  That would take Newcomb though.  

Atlanta needs to trade Freeman.  They won't, but they should.  I think it would take Newcomb as well, but Cron, Ellis + could be an interesting package. 

Then there is Braun. Not even sure if Arte would want him, but he'd fit nicely.  

Really good list. I think in terms of trades we are going to have to think small unless we look at overpaid players.

I think Boston has to be open to the idea of trading Hanley or Panda.

I also think Colorado would listen in on Cargo or Blackmon if we took on Jose Reyes contract. We'd be a lot better off signing Hayward, but only one team is gona get him. Reyes could play second, and I have to think he's a decent bounce back candidate after this shitty season.

Braun is interesting. He is kind of a scary option though. He could be worth it but, he could also be just dead money.

potential trade bait is the better question... who do we have, what do we have, that would garner an upgrade in return thats not named Trout?

You arent trading guys you dont want for upgrades so, unless you are willing to part with those you dont want to part with, the only way we improve this off season is taking on bad contracts or over paying in FA, and considering we werent willing to take on money at the deadline why would we be now? 

I predict a very quiet off season, while quietly praying im very wrong. 

With Arenado holding it down in Colorado, it will be interesting to see if the Rockies will build around him, or let him walk and give 3b to McMahon. If they decide to keep him, I wonder how much it would take to snag McMahon who is a very good 3b prospect.

The Angels called on McMahon at the trade deadline. Rockies weren't keen on discussing any trade scenarios with him. Same with O'Brien in AZ.

I am absolutely terrified of the idea of trading for a young, cost controlled stud starting pitcher. The first question you have to ask is 'why are they trading this guy?' The next question is, how long before the name 'Tommy John' is uttered.

Okay here is a specific example: The Indians have been rumored to be shopping one of either Carrasco or Salazar because they need to acquire a big bat. They currently have three ace types on their staff in Kluber and the two mentioned above.

Trading one of them to improve their offense isn't terrifying it is simply the Indians being prudent and dealing from a major strength.

And you know TJS can happen to any player at any time. That is a worry no matter whom we go after and the idea of the Angels trying to grab Price at $30MM per year, with all of his mileage, is just as scary if not more so to me. Not to mention the fact that older pitchers are much more likely to lose velocity as they age.

With Arenado holding it down in Colorado, it will be interesting to see if the Rockies will build around him, or let him walk and give 3b to McMahon. If they decide to keep him, I wonder how much it would take to snag McMahon who is a very good 3b prospect.

Arenado's agent is Boras so the odds of him signing an extension is pretty small. On top of that Arenado seemed pretty pissed off when Tulo was traded so I have to think the Rockies will likely trade him if they can't get competitive in the next year or so.

If we acquire Cano, SEASON OVER!

In fact, it would be SEASON OVER for the next 3 seasons.

But that would be Moreno's MO: acquire the declining soon to be 33 year-old who has a ton of money left on his contract.

New song: Starry Eyed Arte

What if you can get the Mariners to eat half his contract and get him for $12 Million a year?

What if you can get the Mariners to eat half his contract and get him for $12 Million a year?

I think he'd be worth $12 million, might even go to $15 million.  Heck, the qualifying offer is now at $15.8 million.  

IMO, it's not that he's a bad player.  He's just way overpriced (8 years/$192 million), and in the wrong environment (ie pitchers park).  

If we acquire Cano, SEASON OVER!

In fact, it would be SEASON OVER for the next 3 seasons.

But that would be Moreno's MO: acquire the declining soon to be 33 year-old who has a ton of money left on his contract.

New song: Starry Eyed Arte

You predict SEASON OVER after a blown save in April.

Just stop it.

Neil Walker....  He might be available considering he's heading into arbitration.  He still two years of control remaining, so there is some value there.  Pitt has Harrison and Kang who can both play 2B/3B and are signed for cheap -- their rotation will lose AJ Burnett and JA Happ.    Maybe offer Wilson plus money and see where the conversation leads.  

Walker has some warts; he probably just put up his worst offensive season, his K rate was up.  He's never been one to hit for a high average but he's always put up decent OBPs and he has a steady if unspectacular glove.  Career 113 OPS+ in a neutral park, his home and away splits are very very similar.  So it becomes an issue of whether scouts think it was a bad year or the first sign of decline -- I didn't watch enough Pirates games to have a concrete opinion.  But he owns a career .803 OPS batting second.  He's averaged 35 2Bs and 19 HRs since 2010.  Career .799 OPS with RISP, and .844 with men on base.

Basically Neil Walker might just be a buy low candidate due to an off season who is almost as boringly consistent as our former 2B and a younger, poor man's version of Ben Zobrist offensively..   

Walker was a career minor league 3B who moved to 2B when he got to the majors.   He has the arm and the size to play 3B. 

Edited by Inside Pitch

Neil Walker....  He might be available considering he's heading into arbitration.  He still two years of control remaining, so there is some value there.  Pitt has Harrison and Kang who can both play 2B/3B and are signed for cheap -- their rotation will lose AJ Burnett and JA Happ.    Maybe offer Wilson plus money and see where the conversation leads.  

Walker has some warts; he probably just put up his worst offensive season, his K rate was up.  He's never been one to hit for a high average but he's always put up decent OBPs and he has a steady if unspectacular glove.  Career 113 OPS+ in a neutral park, his home and away splits are very very similar.  So it becomes an issue of whether scouts think it was a bad year or the first sign of decline -- I didn't watch enough Pirates games to have a concrete opinion.  But he owns a career .803 OPS batting second.  He's averaged 35 2Bs and 19 HRs since 2010.  Career .799 OPS with RISP, and .844 with men on base.

Basically Neil Walker might just be a buy low candidate due to an off season who is almost as boringly consistent as our former 2B and a younger, poor man's version of Ben Zobrist offensively..   

Walker was a career minor league 3B who moved to 2B when he got to the majors.   He has the arm and the size to play 3B. 

good idea.  He's a little platoon heavy toward batting LHed, but other than that, it would be a nice pickup.  

Would Santiago plus Nate Smith be too much for Neil Walker? 

Yes. There are rumors the Pirates might even non-tender Walker a contract because he is projected to make about $10MM in arbitration.

This is one of those cases where if we offer up a prospect or perhaps a mid-tier bullpen arm the Pirates might do it simply to get something back in return.

I think Dochalo or IP pointed out in another thread that he could move to 3B as well which is an option and I think his defense could improve slightly there too.

It's definitely an option in my mind but will be more difficult to manage if the Luxury Tax is our ceiling (and the more I've written my Primer series the more I sincerely believe we will blow past the Luxury Tax in 2016 only).