• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

DiPoto speaks

I haven't read this whole thread but the comments about Dipoto "crippling" the team by leaving now are wrong.

Every other person in the baseball ops department is still there. They know everything that Dipoto knows about every trade conversation.

They will manage without him.

Dipoto was in this exact same spot, taking over the DBacks in June, when he sent Dan Haren to the Angels for Tyler Skaggs and Patrick Corbin.

AJ Hinch was in this spot with the Padres when he sent Huston Street to the Angels.

Players are what matter. You can change manager or GM in the middle of the season and the world doesn't end.

i greatly appreciate that you post on this website. thank you.

I think a lot of this has to do with Jerry thinking that he's doing a good job and Arte not promoting him to a higher level. A President of Baseball Operations position (Scioscia's boss) would probably have kept him from stepping down. Picking up his option was just throwing Jerry a bone.

I haven't read this whole thread but the comments about Dipoto "crippling" the team by leaving now are wrong.

Every other person in the baseball ops department is still there. They know everything that Dipoto knows about every trade conversation.

They will manage without him.

Dipoto was in this exact same spot, taking over the DBacks in June, when he sent Dan Haren to the Angels for Tyler Skaggs and Patrick Corbin.

AJ Hinch was in this spot with the Padres when he sent Huston Street to the Angels.

Players are what matter. You can change manager or GM in the middle of the season and the world doesn't end.

Spot on Jeff.  The Angels are still going to trade for a bat when the right deal comes along (or if things go south big time the next 3 weeks become sellers) whether or not JD is there.  

That being said, it blows that JD resigned because I thought he was doing a great job.  We actually have some pitching depth now.  How about that Heandog btw?  Looking pretty good in his 1st stint with the Halos.  I'm pretty happy we have him for 6 cost controlled years vs. the last year of Howie's contract and I am a huge Howie fan.  He had an eye on the future for the Halos and was unable construct the team as he saw fit due to the Hamilton/Pujols contracts.

On the bright side, even with all of the Hamilton and front office distractions along with the Angels hitters looking awful at the plate outside of Pujols and Trout, we are still 3 games above .500 heading into July 4th weekend and only a few games behind the Astros for the division.  Hopefully there will now be less tension around the ballpark and the Halos can get on a little hot streak heading into the trade deadline.  If the Halos are close to the Astros come Sept, the pressure could easily get to that young Astros team and the Halos could win the division.   

Edited by halobob

I don't understand why Scioscia, speaking to the media yesterday, credited the analytics offered by Dipoto but then refuses to use/embrace them.

Then he was coy about Dipoto's status, pretending to be confused when it was already confirmed Dipoto was gone. That really pissed me off. I'm finally realizing that he was probably insulting Dipoto all along with his very subtle Scioscia speak, misrepresenting certain situations, etc, and it sailed right over our heads.

I have come the conclusion that Scioscia is a bonafide liar when it comes down to matters of the team of the field. He is going to tell the press what he wants them to write and that it. Truth or not. And most times it's not.

Shitty situation, shitty timing, but it all comes down to the players on the field. I don't think they care who is in the front office, it doesn't effect how they prepare for games. It doesn't effect how they perform on the field. It shouldn't effect them at all. I for one, would like to see Scioscia stay for now. They players obviously have his back, so he must be doing something right. At the end of the season, depending on where we place, take another look at it and see if there needs to be a change.

• 2 months later...

There's some merit to teams being hesitant to hire Jerry Dipoto. He quit on the Angels mid-season, and that's a no-no regardless of the situation. 

The Mariners' GM position is not exactly a desirable position. They hired him out of desperation, and I'm sure he took the job out of desperation. The team is spiraling, and any new GM will fight an uphill battle.

Jerry is a qualified GM, but if I were running a baseball team I'd think twice before hiring him. 

donkey-facepalm.jpg

There's some merit to teams being hesitant to hire Jerry Dipoto. He quit on the Angels mid-season, and that's a no-no regardless of the situation. 

The Mariners' GM position is not exactly a desirable position. They hired him out of desperation, and I'm sure he took the job out of desperation. The team is spiraling, and any new GM will fight an uphill battle.

Jerry is a qualified GM, but if I were running a baseball team I'd think twice before hiring him. 

edit: deleted my original post accidentally. I am in the midst of a druken stupor. 

Dude, all GM positions are desirable as I'm sure each opening will have a line of qualified candidates ready to be interviewed. Teams don't hire GMs out of desperation.

I don't disagree with you, but despite that there are teams more desirable than others. The Mariners are in the kind of rut where the GM will  be fighting an uphill battle. It's not an ideal place if you're a top GM candidate looking for team.

Don't get me wrong, the Angels probably aren't an ideal landing spot for top GM candidates either considering the way things played out with Jerry resigning. No GM wants to enter a situation like that (even if it's just speculation/hearsay). 

I don't disagree with you, but despite that there are teams more desirable than others. The Mariners are in the kind of rut where the GM will  be fighting an uphill battle. It's not an ideal place if you're a top GM candidate looking for team.

Don't get me wrong, the Angels probably aren't an ideal landing spot for top GM candidates either considering the way things played out with Jerry resigning. No GM wants to enter a situation like that (even if it's just speculation/hearsay). 

What other teams have GM openings that you consider more desirable?

Mariners won 87 last year and were the picked by many to win the WS this year. They are spending and want to win. It's an attractive opportunity.

But they fell on their faces this season and failed to demonstrate competency in pitching or offense. You'd think they'd at least know how to pitch with Felix Hernandez–the best ace in the AL, and the grip of star prospects they've touted for years. Still, they rank below the Angels in pitching.

The Mariners are wholly mediocre and strapped with massive salaries and has-been prospects who failed to live to their potential. This is a team who shipped Adam Jones for nothing. They haven't been in the playoffs in over a decade and have very little going for them. This isn't a walk in the park, and Dipoto has a lot of work to do. 

The Mariners are wholly mediocre and strapped with massive salaries and has-been prospects who failed to live to their potential. This is a team who shipped Adam Jones for nothing. They haven't been in the playoffs in over a decade and have very little going for them. This isn't a walk in the park, and Dipoto has a lot of work to do. 

I don't think Dipoto sees work as an issue.  He seems like a high energy guy and my guess is the most fun he had in Anaheim was in putting his plan into place initially -- he probably welcomes doing it all over again in Seattle.  

He could have done a lot worse than the Mariners situation IMO.  

I don't think Dipoto sees work as an issue.  He seems like a high energy guy and my guess is the most fun he had in Anaheim was in putting his plan into place initially -- he probably welcomes doing it all over again in Seattle.  

He could have done a lot worse than the Mariners situation IMO.

Nicely put. That sounds far more reasonable than anything I've babbled.

Mariners won 87 last year and were the picked by many to win the WS this year. They are spending and want to win. It's an attractive opportunity.

not arguing that at all, but i wonder if (and this will be the same question with our next GM, and any other team) if hes being brought in to go another direction. As in

Either cut payroll, increase it, trade vets for kids, etc.

Whwnever any team hires a new GM, id imagine out of the pool of candidates, theres the argument of "this guy really knows his stuff" vs "he knows how to rebuild/buy FAs/ aquire depth" etc. So one guy might be all around better than the next, but not as good as what said team wants done in the next 4-5 seasons.