• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

DiPoto speaks

Jerry knew the situation before he accepted the job. There was no way he was going to run the most successful manager in Angel history out of town. He knew Scioscia's contract situation beforehand. He wasn't hire to manage the team or its coaches ... but to work with them in reaching the ultimate goal.

The team finished last season with the best record in baseball and is in contention this season. Everything was going to plan. Scioscia and his coaches have done a excellent job this season keeping the team over the .500 mark. Insert a productive bat or two and the division is in their gasp.

The funny thing is ... If this team wins the credit will go to Dipoto and if it loses it will go to Scioscia.

Dipoto has never won anything in his career. Seems par for the course that he would bailout now.

I like how his responses are par for the course for the franchise (i.e the political response, tip your cap) yet it's inappropriate now.  If he came out guns blazing saying Mike calls the shots and Arte needs to stay out of the FO decisions people would go ballistic.  Also I think he did answer it when he said:

@JeffFletcherOCR: Jerry Dipoto: "I just felt like it was the right thing to do for my own position, my own state of mind."

I said yesterday if someone isn't happy then money/timing/whatever don't really matter.  You have to take care of yourself first and foremost. 

Edited by Catwhoshatinthehat

I like how his responses are par for the course for the franchise (i.e the political response, tip your cap) yet it's inappropriate now. If he came out guns blazing saying Mike calls the shots and Arte needs to stay out of the FO decisions people would go ballistic. Also I think he did answer it when he said:

@JeffFletcherOCR: Jerry Dipoto: "I just felt like it was the right thing to do for my own position, my own state of mind."

I said yesterday if someone isn't happy then money/timing/whatever don't really matter. You have to take care of yourself first and foremost.

Some people believe when you make a commitment .,. you should follow it through. It's not always about self.

I raise my kids to follow through on their commitments ... like it or not. I would never let my kid quit his team mid-season if he wasn't happy. This also applies in the real world.

I liked JeDi a lot and I appreciate the direction he pointed the Angels, its unfortunate that he's moved on.  I do agree that its not his best look to resign mid season like this.  That said, as DiPoto said, he has to do whats right for himself and his family.  If this is it, so be it.  The whole situation is an unfortunate mess and I hope we one day get more details from Jerry about what really went down.

There's a difference between quitting selfishly and leaving a toxic situation.  We'll never know what happened behind the scenes with the "PC response to every situation" line that this org tows at all times. 

You have to be the most commited to your own mental state and sanity over anything else.

Sad thing is if they win this year he should have two post season appearances on his resume. He can't have that now.

Jerry knew the situation before he accepted the job. There was no way he was going to run the most successful manager in Angel history out of town. He knew Scioscia's contract situation beforehand. He wasn't hire to manage the team or its coaches ... but to work with them in reaching the ultimate goal.

The team finished last season with the best record in baseball and is in contention this season. Everything was going to plan. Scioscia and his coaches have done a excellent job this season keeping the team over the .500 mark. Insert a productive bat or two and the division is in their gasp.

The funny thing is ... If this team wins the credit will go to Dipoto and if it loses it will go to Scioscia.

Dipoto has never won anything in his career. Seems par for the course that he would bailout now.

Actually it's the opposite. If the team doesn't win it would because of the Hamilton debacle forcing an inadequate lineup that couldn't improve itself because the GM quit right during period when trades are made. If the team wins Scioscia will get his third MOY.

So if the team doesn't win .., he leaves Scioscia to be the fall guy.

Smart guy

That is very possible. That is why JD should explain more. At least have a publicist leaking it out.

The situation was obviously extremely toxic for Jerry. Most people don't quit a high-paying, highly sought after job (in which they are highly respected) mid-stream unless something is seriously wrong. There was way more going on behind the scenes than we know.

If anyone thinks this was about MS's unwillingness to use advanced metrics then the big picture has been missed.

I actually think MS will use certain metrics and it's clear he's implemented some of this into his style.

This was about the fact that Dipoto wanted to run the show and he was handcuffed in several directions. He even said that he wasn't able to help the club the way he wanted to.

his budget was pulled out from under him by the pujols and hamilton signings

he was forced to use a pre-existing manager and coaching staff

his farm director wasn't of his choosing

he tried to provide data to the team to help them win and it wasn't implemented to his liking

so every little thing he did was a battle. he was constantly forced to compromise the way he wanted to do things.

Not only did that wear on him (clearly), but it undermined his authority and bred a lack of respect and trust for what he was trying to do. It was an accumulation of headaches that shouldn't have been. He was constantly asking permission to do things he shouldn't have needed to.

When your owner effectively brings in big named players

and your manager gets to pick and choose the which of your ideas he wants to implement

and you have to ask supposed subordinates if its ok to do certain things

then who are the guys on the field accountable to?

this organization set him up to not receive the respect he was entitled to based on his position.

and when he held a meeting with his coaches and manager indicating 'this is how I want things done' he got inappropriate resistance from someone who should have been keeping their mouth shut for fear of losing their job but that persons job wasn't accountable to Jerry.

and when he held another meeting with the players indicating 'this is how I want things done' he got inappropriate backlash from someone because that someone is more accountable to the owner and manager than the gm.

and like that.....he's gone.

Pretty much my thought process on the issue.

Between the owner strapping him and buying players he wanted to not even being able to handle the staff, he wasn't even a real GM and that's disheartening being that the small amount Jerry was able to control was a great direction.

Like the Hamilton issue, I think the club ****ed up again.

Realistically, what kind of intelligent and great candidate would want the GM 4ole here if they weren't able to assert themselves?

Some people believe when you make a commitment .,. you should follow it through. It's not always about self.

I raise my kids to follow through on their commitments ... like it or not. I would never let my kid quit his team mid-season if he wasn't happy. This also applies in the real world.

When the other party doesn't honor their commitment (i.e. not allowing him to do his job and not listening) that goes out the window in my book. I'm not going to slowly kill myself for others who won't work with me or do what they said they would do. Apparently neither was DiPoto.

That is true. If the parties were only scoscia, moreno, and JD. however there are a lot more involved in the team than those three. By leaving right before the trading period JD crippled the Angels chance to compete. I don't think anyone believes JD didn't have a right to quit. But you never quit mid stream. Timing was bad.

When the other party doesn't honor their commitment (i.e. not allowing him to do his job and not listening) that goes out the window in my book. I'm not going to slowly kill myself for others who won't work with me or do what they said they would do. Apparently neither was DiPoto.

I translate ”state of mind” as "I wanted to do this, but I was frustrated by these backward thinkers.”

That's about as much of an explanation of the situation as writing "it wasn't a good fit" when asked "reason for leaving previous position" on a job application. Not that he owes any of us an explanation.

The high road would be waiting to the end of the season. His move made the media circus. He needs to explain why it couldn't wait.

You keep harping on this as if it would have made a difference.

If his mind was made up, and the relationship with Scioscia was beyond any hope of repair (which is pretty evident given that Arte and Carpino made a last-ditch effort to do just that). If he was going to leave at the end of the season as opposed to now, how would continuing on as a lame duck GM have helped him improve the team he was going to leave anyway?

Your argument makes no sense whatsoever. He felt it was time to go. Waiting until the end of the season could very well have made things worse.

As for his move making the media circus, it was pretty much a media circus beginning on Sunday, after the meetings were leaked.

Edited by Mark68