• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

DiPoto speaks

Three months is a long time to wait for the end of the season, before resigning. 

If you had to wait 3 months to resign despite hating your work environment, how would you see it?

If you really hate the people you work for and want to cause as much disruption as possible, then you just up and quit.  Otherwise you make a more graceful exit.

JD as an individual gains little. But if he stayed long enough to make a trade for a bat and avoid a media circus while the team competes for a playoff spot the team gains a lot.

You guys are looking at it as individuals. There is a team involved. And those are being harmed. This just shows how little you guys understand about c omitting fir a team.

This is a major league team and not your kids t-ball team where one of the coaches bails because he over committed.  These aren't kids who are saddened by him leaving they're grown adults who know that life isn't perfect, shit happens and they saw the discord for months or years.  I think everyone here understands what it means to make a commitment but what you're failing to consider or just flat out ignoring is that it cuts both ways.  The team or rather certain people within the organization didn't give him the respect that comes with his position and didn't honor their commitment to him as the GM.  In your eyes he should have stuck it out to be a punching bag or a figurehead just because of the "team" concept which makes no sense because people inside and outside of the organization would know it's a charade.  Everyone here is part of more than one team or organization and knows at a point when it's time to cut ties.    

What did he have to gain by staying until the end of the season?

Other than three months salary there wouldn't be much for him to gain except maybe his reputation would be in better shape.

His reputation amongst the part of the AW community that thinks he should have stuck around just to stroke millionaire egos despite the fact that many people inside and and outside of the organization knew it was all over.  I have little doubt he won't get a GM job any time soon since it's mid-season but if he wants to continue working in MLB I'm sure he'll have a job as a GM or in a front office next year. 

JD as an individual gains little. But if he stayed long enough to make a trade for a bat and avoid a media circus while the team competes for a playoff spot the team gains a lot.

You guys are looking at it as individuals. There is a team involved. And those are being harmed. This just shows how little you guys understand about comitting fir a team.

Are you really going to bust your ass for people who have undermined you the whole time that you have worked for them? I'm not. And I have a strong work ethic and I have done my best even for employers who didn't treat me particularly well.

You want to talk about team? What about the management team? It goes both ways. To criticize Dipoto for leaving while giving Moreno and Scioscia a free pass for treating him like crap seems terribly myopic to me.

You nailed it. You quit immediately to cause as much distraction as possible. Therefore JD desire to hurt Scoscia and Moreno was so strong he didn't care what it did to the players, fans, and front office personal who c omitted to build a winner.

You guys are right. If you care only to hurt Scioscia and Moreno and not for anyone else with the team than his timing was dead on.

If you really hate the people you work for and want to cause as much disruption as possible, then you just up and quit. Otherwise you make a more graceful exit.

I would be far more sympathetic if it was Tball. This us professional sports and there were a lot of people relying on JD. More than just Scioscia and Moreno.

This is a major league team and not your kids t-ball team where one of the coaches bails because he over committed. These aren't kids who are saddened by him leaving they're grown adults who know that life isn't perfect, shit happens and they saw the discord for months or years. I think everyone here understands what it means to make a commitment but what you're failing to consider or just flat out ignoring is that it cuts both ways. The team or rather certain people within the organization didn't give him the respect that comes with his position and didn't honor their commitment to him as the GM. In your eyes he should have stuck it out to be a punching bag or a figurehead just because of the "team" concept which makes no sense because people inside and outside of the organization would know it's a charade. Everyone here is part of more than one team or organization and knows at a point when it's time to cut ties.

You guys are looking at it as individuals. There is a team involved. And those are being harmed. This just shows how little you guys understand about c omitting fir a team.

If he stays and gets a team a bat? Like Wells for Napoli?

Edited by tennischmp

You guys think the only actors here are Moreno Scioscia and JD. If that was the case your argument is correct. But there were a lot more dependent on JD than just Scioscia and Mireno. JD is not being disloyal to Moreno and Sosh. He is being disloyal to all those who are not involved in the political battle and yet still working hard for the team to win and dependent on JD to get the team over the hump and into the playoffs.

Yes i would expect the man to stay on the job. If i was an owner i would not want to hire a man who would quit while the team is in a playoff race because he couldn't get along with the manager.

Are you really going to bust your ass for people who have undermined you the whole time that you have worked for them? I'm not. And I have a strong work ethic and I have done my best even for employers who didn't treat me particularly well.

You want to talk about team? What about the management team? It goes both ways. To criticize Dipoto for leaving while giving Moreno and Scioscia a free pass for treating him like crap seems terribly myopic to me.

I would be far more sympathetic if it was Tball. This us professional sports and there were a lot of people relying on JD. More than just Scioscia and Moreno.

Kind of like how players rely on making a living but they can be cut and out of a job? Do those of you who have an issue with him leaving now approve of how the team treats some of its players who are generally the lowest paid? In The case of players they're out because they don't perform and in JD's case he's gone because he wasn't allowed to perform his job. This is a business first and foremost.

If i was an owner i would not want to hire a man who would quit while the team is in a playoff race because he couldn't get along with the manager.

If I was an owner and I hired a man to do a job, I would leave him alone and not tell him how to do it. I hired him for his skills and knowledge, and if I decide that I know more than him and I start influencing and overruling his decisions, then I have done him a disservice and I should expect his dissatisfaction.

His reputation amongst the part of the AW community that thinks he should have stuck around just to stroke millionaire egos despite the fact that many people inside and and outside of the organization knew it was all over.  I have little doubt he won't get a GM job any time soon since it's mid-season but if he wants to continue working in MLB I'm sure he'll have a job as a GM or in a front office next year. 

Didn't we already see some anonymous quotes from other team execs stating that his departure is making the Angels worse.  They've dealt with Dipoto and know what kind of job he's done.  

I have a feeling that his reputation is just fine and I bet it's even been enhanced by his resignation.

You guys think the only actors here are Moreno Scioscia and JD. If that was the case your argument is correct. But there were a lot more dependent on JD than just Scioscia and Mireno. JD is not being disloyal to Moreno and Sosh. He is being disloyal to all those who are not involved in the political battle and yet still working hard for the team to win and dependent on JD to get the team over the hump and into the playoffs.

Yes i would expect the man to stay on the job. If i was an owner i would not want to hire a man who would quit while the team is in a playoff race because he couldn't get along with the manager.

Those people are still getting paid good bucks. He'll bring them in for his next gig.

honorable thing

That is an inadequate answer. That is vague and bring politically correct. He needs to explain why it couldn't wait until the end of the year so this circus would not effect a season where the team is still in contention.

Yeah, he could have waited and collected his big bucks ....(he had an option on 2016 lets not forget) and go play golf and wait to be fired and collect his big bucks...

He did the honorable thing and acutally ended the circus instead of continuing it. And you are not satisfied with his answer?

If I'm a CEO I do what's best for the company so if DiPoto has the vision, make up or traits I desire then yes I hire him in some capacity.  Plenty of people across all levels have left jobs at "bad" times and they have no issues getting another job.  There's a reason why people always say things like "of course it happened at the worst possible time" because there's rarely a good time for bad or unexpected things to happen. 

When the other party doesn't honor their commitment (i.e. not allowing him to do his job and not listening) that goes out the window in my book. I'm not going to slowly kill myself for others who won't work with me or do what they said they would do. Apparently neither was DiPoto.

If i was in Jerry's position, i would have traded off all of our young, cost controlled pitchers in exchange for a bunch of ,200 hitters.  Then resigned. Well not really! I think all this hasn't ended yet. I feel Sosh will opt out after the season, and Arte will say see you later.