• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

DiPoto speaks

Pretty much my thought process on the issue.

Between the owner strapping him and buying players he wanted to not even being able to handle the staff, he wasn't even a real GM and that's disheartening being that the small amount Jerry was able to control was a great direction.

Like the Hamilton issue, I think the club ****ed up again.

Realistically, what kind of intelligent and great candidate would want the GM 4ole here if they weren't able to assert themselves?

Probably only a candidate wanting to get his (or her, in the case of Evelyn Ng) foot in the door. Nobody experienced.

Three months is a long time to wait for the end of the season, before resigning.

If you had to wait 3 months to resign despite hating your work environment, how would you see it?

You would see it as honoring your contract and making the change when it least affects the company you made the commitment to. His duties to the roster, scouting and future talent development is still on the table and now Stoneman has to come in and take over cold with little time to get everything in order to handle the trade deadline. It was an irresponsible self centered move made from pride.

Admittedly the one difference is that we are mostly hired for "free will" work, meaning termination or resignation can happen at any time,

while MLB folks sign fixed term contracts.

Still, it isn't an easy thing to work under undesirable conditions for 3 months.

Sounds like Arte may have not been up front enough with JeDi before hiring him? 

That is true. If the parties were only scoscia, moreno, and JD. however there are a lot more involved in the team than those three. By leaving right before the trading period JD crippled the Angels chance to compete. I don't think anyone believes JD didn't have a right to quit. But you never quit mid stream. Timing was bad.

When it comes to your own well being timing is a non-factor for something like this. We aren't talking about someone stepping down during a matter of life or death this was a GM who was undermined, disrespected and just over it. If Mike, Pujols (saying the roster isn't as good as last year in front of teammates) and Arte can prevent him from doing his job and flat out disrespect him in some instances then they had as much a hand in the timing as anyone else. You reap what you sow.

Some people believe when you make a commitment .,. you should follow it through. It's not always about self.

I raise my kids to follow through on their commitments ... like it or not. I would never let my kid quit his team mid-season if he wasn't happy. This also applies in the real world.

I'm glad this guy didn't heed your advice:

image.jpg

Nor this guy:

spiro_t._agnew.jpg

You would see it as honoring your contract and making the change when it least affects the company you made the commitment to. His duties to the roster, scouting and future talent development is still on the table and now Stoneman has to come in and take over cold with little time to get everything in order to handle the trade deadline. It was an irresponsible self centered move made from pride.

Companies aren't people. If Dipoto's colleagues are upset at him for leaving, then he can take that flack from them. But any accusations of harm to the "organization" or company is just fantasy and - the old AW standby - butthurt.

Some people believe when you make a commitment .,. you should follow it through. It's not always about self.

I raise my kids to follow through on their commitments ... like it or not. I would never let my kid quit his team mid-season if he wasn't happy. This also applies in the real world.

So, by this logic, players should never be cut or DFA'd or traded because they have a commitment from their team based on a contract for so many years at so much salary.

Good post

New here, long time reader.

1. I think Dipoto's departure was more planned than many think. One example is the real estate listing for his Newport Beach house, posted less than 24 hours after his resignation. Agent, full pictures, house looks staged.

2. I think the SS Scioscia and coaches were only a portion of the problem. Yes probably stubborn, passive resistant, and treated some analytic work as noise. Dipoto probably wished he had his own manager in there. Overall Dipoto could have felt he lacked sufficient power in the organization to implement his ideas. Limited by inconsistent (or worse) Moreno-who knows what really happened in the Hamilton fiasco? Possibly even Stoneman second guessing. The good ship Angels could have been very hard to steer-far beyond what he expected when taking the GM position.

3. Like many here I'm sad to see Dipoto go. I liked the direction he was taking the organization. We sat behind him in Tempe Diablo for two games. He was sitting with scouts in first few rows, one day with his wife. Everything I saw from him was positive, energetic, note taking, friendly interactions with others. Most did not recognize him, but looked happy to interact with fans who did. Moreno was in dugout during games. In both days did not see Dipoto interact with Moreno or Scioscia.

4. Hope for the best for him. Dipoto himself seems to accept (in statement) he may have to start lower on the totem pole somewhere. As posted many places Arte needs to butt out, and Scioscia move on or accept change. Hope one of Jerry's guys in front office eventually get the job.

Actually it's the opposite. If the team doesn't win it would because of the Hamilton debacle forcing an inadequate lineup that couldn't improve itself because the GM quit right during period when trades are made. If the team wins Scioscia will get his third MOY.

Angels win is the polar opposite of the national media and the larger baseball on this issue, and rightly so. Sports writers and even players and managers on other teams don't spend as much time specifically watching angels baseball as many of the dedicated fans on this board. Those other guys remember Scioscia from his managerial glory days between 2000 and 2004 and, to a lesser extent, 2009.

larry-and-jeff.jpg

cruz_zpszffgpiiy.jpg

i-28c71231ba6ac8b67387b831a9f8a566-mike-

Edited by ScottLux

What tragic event would have fallen on JD had he waited? Why did he have to leave now? If it was because he was emotional and hurt because he didn't have the backing if his owner? If so he should have waited. He owed to all those who worked with him to stay. That is called loyalty. Not to Moreno but for his personal in managenent. The players he brought in. The fans who want to see a winner. He bailed on them.

your right it's not life or death. If it was I would say resign right away. There would have been no irreparable harm had he stayed. There is irreparable harm to the franchise bailing on it I'm the middle of a play off race.

the problem is you guys do not like how JD was treated. And rightfully so. I don't like how he was treated. However you guys are failing to see what this does to the team. Not just what it does to Arte or Sosh but to the whole team.

Sorry JD timing was wrong.

When it comes to your own well being timing is a non-factor for something like this. We aren't talking about someone stepping down during a matter of life or death this was a GM who was undermined, disrespected and just over it. If Mike, Pujols (saying the roster isn't as good as last year in front of teammates) and Arte can prevent him from doing his job and flat out disrespect him in some instances then they had as much a hand in the timing as anyone else. You reap what you sow.

I understand Dipoto's thinking about leaving being better for the team. I once left a job very soon after starting and on very short notice--so early that nearly everyone would consider the move reneging on my commitment. However it was apparent that the position was going to be a bad fit for my personality and skill set even though I was more than qualified on paper. While I could have stayed on and done the work I would have been inefficient in the role and it would have been extremely emotionally taxing. I felt leaving early would take less time and energy away from the people who would be spending months training me and would ultimately be less damaging to the organization even though it left them short staffed.

If Dipoto had a different vision than Scioscia and others, and Arte was unwilling to let Dipoto bring in staff that agreed with his vision, then allowing Stoneman to take over for the rest of the season will likely result in less friction overall within the organization, even though I and most on this board felt that Dipoto's vision would have been better for the team long term.

Edited by ScottLux

All I can say is that you must have never worked for a boss who made your life miserable single day, to the point that you hated even getting up in the morning. Someone who favored and listened to someone who was supposed to be your subordinate. I have, and it is the only job I have ever walked out on without giving proper notice. Obviously my job wasn't as high profile as Dipoto's (the results of most of our work isn't televised, I would guess), but being repeatedly overruled and criticized and being told that I could not take certain corrective measures (most of them didn't even cost money) then being held accountable for the results got very tiring very quickly.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

What tragic event would have fallen on JD had he waited? Why did he have to leave now? If it was because he was emotional and hurt because he didn't have the backing if his owner? If so he should have waited. He owed to all those who worked with him to stay. That is called loyalty. Not to Moreno but for his personal in managenent. The players he brought in. The fans who want to see a winner. He bailed on them.

your right it's not life or death. If it was I would say resign right away. There would have been no irreparable harm had he stayed. There is irreparable harm to the franchise bailing on it I'm the middle of a play off race.

the problem is you guys do not like how JD was treated. And rightfully so. I don't like how he was treated. However you guys are failing to see what this does to the team. Not just what it does to Arte or Sosh but to the whole team.

Sorry JD timing was wrong.

What did he have to gain by staying until the end of the season?  The players and most everyone in the organization knew what was going on and based on recent reports saw/heard what was going on.  Him sticking around until the end of the season accomplishes nothing aside from saving face to some fans and making you feel better about a crap situation.  At a point it isn't about the team especially when they don't treat you right and you can say the same for any company or organization because whether you like it or not you have to take care of yourself first and foremost or you're no good to those around you.  You think he should have stuck around like it would have kept team moral up but it's the equivalent to parents staying together "for the kids" when it's a toxic situation.  The kids or in this case the players and other members in the organization know it's all just an act outside the house but they know what's really going on.  You say him leaving was worse for the organization but I think it's better than sticking around and hearing the rest of the year from reporters how much they're at each others throats.  At least this way they can move on now.  

Lmao: I actually have. Lol.

All I can say is that you must have never worked for a boss who made your life miserable single day, to the point that you hated even getting up in the morning. Someone who favored and listened to someone who was supposed to be your subordinate. I have, and it is the only job I have ever walked out on without giving proper notice. Obviously my job wasn't as high profile as Dipoto's (the results of most of our work isn't televised, I would guess), but being repeatedly overruled and criticized and being told that I could not take certain corrective measures (most of them didn't even cost money) then being held accountable for the results got very tiring very quickly.

JD as an individual gains little. But if he stayed long enough to make a trade for a bat and avoid a media circus while the team competes for a playoff spot the team gains a lot.

You guys are looking at it as individuals. There is a team involved. And those are being harmed. This just shows how little you guys understand about c omitting fir a team.

What did he have to gain by staying until the end of the season? The players and most everyone in the organization knew what was going on and based on recent reports saw/heard what was going on. Him sticking around until the end of the season accomplishes nothing aside from saving face to some fans and making you feel better about a crap situation. At a point it isn't about the team especially when they don't treat you right and you can say the same for any company or organization because whether you like it or not you have to take care of yourself first and foremost or you're no good to those around you. You think he should have stuck around like it would have kept team moral up but it's the equivalent to parents staying together "for the kids" when it's a toxic situation. The kids or in this case the players and other members in the organization know it's all just an act outside the house but they know what's really going on. You say him leaving was worse for the organization but I think it's better than sticking around and hearing the rest of the year from reporters how much they're at each others throats. At least this way they can move on now.