• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

DiPoto speaks

I missed a lot of the news today at work, abd theres so many threads im behind. But have any new bonafide facts come out? All i know is dipoto resigned, theres was a meeting where he tried to pass data to the players. Did scioscia say no?

Im not at all trolling (im as pissed as all of you, i like dipoto a lot and have been saying since 12 sosh is past his expiration date), im just trying to catch up on what all has come out.

Agreed with your last post doc. For those who disliked dipoto (and he made some bad moves), people have to understand he basically ran a small market club. Obviously that sounds bullshit. But he inherited a team with great pitching (like now), no farm (aside from trout), a weak bullpen and shit offense. Arte signed albert, i assume dipo signed wilson.

Then the starting pitching implodes (haren falls apart, bad santana shows up, and cj is a let down. Plus weave breaks his arm). Pujols is a let down initially, and the bullpen is a joke.

Going in to 13, when we really needed arms, arte blows his wad on hamilton. Now dipo has pennies to try and replace haren and santana, not to mention a bullpen. Pujols goes on to get hurt, and hamilton is a letdown.

Richards and shoe saved us last year, calhoun came into his own, and dipo did very well to fix the bullpen.

This year he really didnt have money again, and guys who should be hitting arent. He cant buy his way out of it because arte has shut his wallet. We finally have some pieces to trade, but we end up going back to square 1.

Literally, if i have one complaint about arte (theres more than one), its that he spent big on pujols/hamilton (which i applaud him doing regardless of results) but isnt willing to live with the result. I get it, none of us want to dlush money down the toilet, but if the team has a need, and youre making money off the media deal, youre going to have to throw money at the solution umless you have a strong farm (which we dont).

I missed a lot of the news today at work, abd theres so many threads im behind. But have any new bonafide facts come out? All i know is dipoto resigned, theres was a meeting where he tried to pass data to the players. Did scioscia say no?

Im not at all trolling (im as pissed as all of you, i like dipoto a lot and have been saying since 12 sosh is past his expiration date), im just trying to catch up on what all has come out.

there has been nothing overtly definitive as of yet.  There were a couple of meeting over the weekend.  One with JD and the coaches about the distribution of information and apparently JD got held to task by one of the coaches.  It appears, however, that they all agreed to disseminate the information directly to the players and bypass the coaches.  So another meeting was held with the players to fill them in and there is speculation that JD got held to task by Pujols.  The net result was JD making some sort of ultimatum to Arte of unclear detail which ended with Dipoto's resignation.  Stoneman is now the interim GM with Servais and Klentak remaining the assistants.    

I'll leave out my editorial about what I think happened even though you can get an idea of where I stand from my previous post.  Suffice to say it's a real cluster right now.  

Dochalo, I think you summed it up pretty well.  I was thinking about what it would be like to be in Dipoto's shoes with the overpay on Hamilton and Pujols, the dumping of Hamilton's salary and all of that, A lot of it is Moreno's ego getting in they way of running a good team.  IMHO, it's not MS so much as the owner.

Dochalo, I think you summed it up pretty well. I was thinking about what it would be like to be in Dipoto's shoes with the overpay on Hamilton and Pujols, the dumping of Hamilton's salary and all of that, A lot of it is Moreno's ego getting in they way of running a good team. IMHO, it's not MS so much as the owner.

Both played a role. Moreno for signing guys past their primes to long term big money contracts, and Scioscia for repeatedly running out guys who didn't produce. The organization is better than Dipoto found it despite all of this. Unfortunately, we will never know what could have been had he been allowed to do his job the way that he should have been.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

The high road would be waiting to the end of the season. His move made the media circus. He needs to explain why it couldn't wait.

He already explained why:

He also said:

@MikeDiGiovanna: Jerry Dipoto: "Just felt this was the right thing to do for my own state of mind, my family. I wasn't able to help the club the way I wanted to."

He already explained why:

That's about as much of an explanation of the situation as writing "it wasn't a good fit" when asked "reason for leaving previous position" on a job application. Not that he owes any of us an explanation.

Edited by ScottLux

Dochalo, I think you summed it up pretty well.  I was thinking about what it would be like to be in Dipoto's shoes with the overpay on Hamilton and Pujols, the dumping of Hamilton's salary and all of that, A lot of it is Moreno's ego getting in they way of running a good team.  IMHO, it's not MS so much as the owner.

Don't discount MS's involvement in this.  Granted, he was under no obligation (per Arte) to hand over the reigns to someone else.  Why would he?  But he could have been instrumental in helping Dipoto garner the respect he deserved and instead it appears he did nothing of the sort.  I don't see him directly undermining him for his own benefit as I do think he's got what he thinks is the best interest of the team in mind, but his unwillingness to fully embrace the philosophy that JD was trying to employ passively eroded at JD's authority.  That dynamic is on Arte but MS was complicit in its evolution.  

That is an inadequate answer. That is vague and bring politically correct. He needs to explain why it couldn't wait until the end of the year so this circus would not effect a season where the team is still in contention.

No, he really doesn't...he answered as well as Scioscia answers questions posed to him

In all fairness. Despite my criticism for the timing of JD resigning, I can understand it if JD tried several times to make a move to improve personal on the roster and was vetoes by Moreno. In that case I can see where he would quit immediately.

However that is gross speculation.

That is an inadequate answer. That is vague and bring politically correct. He needs to explain why it couldn't wait until the end of the year so this circus would not effect a season where the team is still in contention.

to me, the implication is that he was attempting to do things a certain way and just wasn't allowed.  So the team is better off with a GM whose philosophy is going to be accepted and implemented appropriately.  Not piecemeal and half-assed.  Right or wrong, the GM and manager need to be on the same page.  Especially when there are conflicting intentions that lead to essentially nothing happening.  So by stepping down now it give the org the opportunity to bring in someone who can see the plan through.  Right or wrong.  

At first I felt the same way about his timing of stepping down being horrible.  But if he felt he wasn't actually helping the team, then it makes sense to get someone in there that is on the same page with the rest of the org.  Personally, I'd rather have Jerry banging his head against a wall, but he didn't see that as productive and I respect him for that.  

his budget was pulled out from under him by the pujols and hamilton signings

he was forced to use a pre-existing manager and coaching staff

his farm director wasn't of his choosing

he tried to provide data to the team to help them win and it wasn't implemented to his liking

Pretty sure Mike LaCassa is JD's guy.   JD completely gutted the ML system's scouts and management when he took over -- including firing the guy that found Trout.

Perhaps since the Hamilton debacle.

He probably had to take the offensive at the request of Arte. We know it wasn't Sosh. All Sosh has asked of him is to apologize to his team mates and most recently asked him to thank his team mates for their support.