• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

DiPoto speaks

@JeffFletcherOCR: Jerry Dipoto: "I just felt like it was the right thing to do for my own position, my own state of mind."

@JeffFletcherOCR: Dipoto: "This isn’t about a singular event. This is about whats right for me, right for my famly, and franky whats right for the Angels."

@JeffFletcherOCR: Dipoto wouldn't address supposed power struggle with Scioscia: "I have really no interest in getting into a comment string with Mike."

This is like the veteran pitcher getting a borderline pitch called a strike over the up and coming star prospect at the plate.

At the end of the day, Scioscia has a track record and way more credibility than Dipoto. Dipoto didn't like being challenged by his manager so much and likely asked Arte if he could remove him and Arte said 'no, rook'. Dipoto breaks and doesn't get another at bat. 

Edited by Shane

I find it hard to believe Dipoto quit just because Scioscia wasn't implementing his scouting reports. According to Tim Salmon ... Mike was using analytic reports as far back as 2000. He also said Mike was open to using every edge available in those reports. So in reality ... Scioscia was new school before it became fashionable.

Why do I feel Arte had more to do with his resignation than Scioscia did.

Edited by Troll Daddy

I find it hard to believe Dipoto quit just because Scioscia wasn't implementing his scouting reports. According to Tim Salmon ... Mike was using analytic reports as far back as 2000. He also said Mike was open to using every edge available in those reports.

Interesting, they said the same thing on the national telecast tonight about Scioscia's use of analytic reports.  They were also commenting on the large number of shifts the Angels used tonight.  People like to categorize these guys as sabermetric and old school.  The truth is that both have some of each in them, not 50/50 but it's somewhere in between, not the extremes.  

I find it hard to believe Dipoto quit just because Scioscia wasn't implementing his scouting reports. According to Tim Salmon ... Mike was using analytic reports as far back as 2000. He also said Mike was open to using every edge available in those reports. So in reality ... Scioscia was new school before it became fashionable.

Those "analytics" may have consisted of Lefty/Righty splits and small sample sizes vs certain pitchers for all we know.  Salmon's been gone for 8 1/2 years. Even he admitted he has no idea what Scioscia uses now. I've never heard anyone else claim Scioscia was into analytics... it's all been the opposite.  In this day in age, it's hard to fool everyone but your own players.  Heck, I've never heard them make a claim like Salmon alluded to.  Salmon has a soft spot for Scioscia.  Understandably so.  

I've heard a couple reporters say that rival GMs said the Angels are worse off without Dipoto. Ouch.

Those "analytics" may have consisted of Lefty/Righty splits and small sample sizes vs certain pitchers for all we know.  Salmon's been gone for 8 1/2 years. Even he admitted he has no idea what Scioscia uses now. I've never heard anyone else claim Scioscia was into analytics... it's all been the opposite.  In this day in age, it's hard to fool everyone but your own players.  Heck, I've never heard them make a claim like Salmon alluded to.  Salmon has a soft spot for Scioscia.  Understandably so.  

I've heard a couple reporters say that rival GMs said the Angels are worse off without Dipoto. Ouch.

The commentators on the national broadcast today said Scioscia used analytics as early as 2000.  Not saying if it's right or wrong, but they did say it, right around the sixth or 7th inning.