• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

DiPoto speaks

Are we still talking about him quitting?  It didn't make any difference to teams because of the kind of manager Scioscia is.  Drop it already.

You don't understand the way things work around here.

1. Angel event happens

2. Posters take sides, either pro or con the player or management person.  Predictions are made.

3. Things subside

4. Some subsequent event happens down the line, and old posts are dredged up to illuminate the bad predictions

I think there is a difference in your example.  If I was in the middle of a project at work, that I was leading, I think leaving would make me a quitter.  I wouldn't blame others for thinking that way.  I'm not strong on either side of the Dipoto debate, but I am looking forward to all of the "angel fans" rooting for the mariners next season so they can say how lame the Angels were in letting him go.

As general manager he is always "in the middle of a project." When could he have quit that would've kept people from saying "he quit on the team?" 

JeDi's comments today about the Hamilton signing are disappointing.  Way to completely shirk responsibility dude.  Very weaksauce.  

The guy is no longer here.  Why should he take responsibility for something he didn't do or not answer a question when asked?  He toe'd the company line when he was here and even shortly after he left but he has no need to do that any more.    

As general manager he is always "in the middle of a project." When could he have quit that would've kept people from saying "he quit on the team?" 

really man ? you don't think theres a difference between the end of the season and a couple of weeks before the trade deadline.  You know better then that.  If you want to give Jerry a pass for quitting fine, but don't exuse him for the timing, it was awful.  He should have at least felt obligated to see the club through the deadline if he really couldn't deal with finishing up the season.

The guy is no longer here.  Why should he take responsibility for something he didn't do or not answer a question when asked?  He toe'd the company line when he was here and even shortly after he left but he has no need to do that any more.    

Im sure Dipoto argued vigorously against acquiring Hamilton. :rolleyes:   He should just keep his mouth shut about his time here.

Edited by UndertheHalo

Im sure Dipoto argued vigorously against acquiring Hamilton. :rolleyes:   He should just keep his mouth shut about his time here.

I'm guessing since his boss made the call he didn't bother arguing one way or another.  Why should he keep his mouth shut...because it doesn't agree with what you thought to be true or put the owner/franchise in a positive light?  People leave jobs all the time and talk about it.  I'm sure his tenure here came up during interviews for the Seattle GM position and if he gets asked about it he can now answer honestly without giving an Angels FO political response.  

Edited by Catwhoshatinthehat

really man ? you don't think theres a difference between the end of the season and a couple of weeks before the trade deadline.  You know better then that.  If you want to give Jerry a pass for quitting fine, but don't exuse him for the timing, it was awful.  He should have at least felt obligated to see the club through the deadline if he really couldn't deal with finishing up the season.

He quite about a month before the deadline, if he quite a month earlier people would've said the same thing. If he quits a month later suddenly he's causing a distraction for the team down the stretch. If he quits the day they are eliminated then he's forced the team to start a search for a GM instead of talking to free agents and making decisions about the roster. As much as we talk about being behind on the search for a GM today we are still way ahead of where we would be if he quit at the end of the season.

Other teams are hiring GMs, but the position remains unfilled here.

They even said they wanted to get something done by the start of Oct, didn't they?

Well, what's the holdup?

If they guy they want to hire is currently employed by a potential playoff opponent they couldn't really do anything until after one of the other team was out of contention.   Sounds like they were still interviewing people as late as Sunday..  Who knows.

You don't understand the way things work around here.

1. Angel event happens

2. Posters take sides, either pro or con the player or management person.  Predictions are made.

3. Things subside

4. Some subsequent event happens down the line, and old posts are dredged up to illuminate the bad predictions

3. (revised) Nothing subsides, posters write off the season after each game, win or lose, and propose trading everyone for a mythical future dynasty anchored by Tyler Skaggs.

I'm guessing since his boss made the call he didn't bother arguing one way or another.  Why should he keep his mouth shut...because it doesn't agree with what you thought to be true or put the owner/franchise in a positive light?  People leave jobs all the time and talk about it.  I'm sure his tenure here came up during subsequent interviews he had and if he gets asked about it he can now answer.  

first, I need to congratulate you on a fantastic screen handle.  Well done.  

As far as the DiPoto commenting about it privately, that is completely different from dodging responsibility for whats now universally regarded as a disastrous signing.  Why talk about it at your introduction presser ?  Its bullshit man.  Its about nothing other then shifting responsibility for a poor decision (probably made as a group) away from himself.  No one could have anticipated just how horribly the Hamilton thing ended up going.  Jerry shouldn't be a pussy about it and throw Arte under the bus.  Arte gave him his first shot at being a big league GM.  Have enough respect for the guy to not throw him under the bus completely.  If Jerry has to talk about it,  he should at least own the role he played. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

Perhaps the run they're making to get into the playoffs. Honest question - what other teams in the hunt have hired a GM?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What other team in the hunt is looking to hire a new GM?

It's pretty rare that a team in the hunt the last week of the season has to be interviewing for a new GM.

That's how f'd up it is..

Edited by Homebrewer

They need a GM for next year not right now.  They have an interim GM and there's really no moves to be made right now that require the hiring of a new GM.  If they were out of it I could see them adding one now but why take away from what the team is doing?  No one besides Dipoto is off the market and they weren't bringing him back.  As mentioned other guys they're interested in who are working for teams in contention aren't going to announce they're leaving while their team is in the playoff race.