• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Does Anyone Really Care....

Yesterday I saw a Facebook post about a Pujols milestone and it didn't bother me, because the Angels won. It's really that simple. Unless we're talking about a major milestone, of course, not just moving past another person on the list.

One of the things I like most about baseball is the records and milestones. I'm shocked Glen and Soto, who are about my age would feel different.

Strad, you and I would have loved going to games together when we were 13. I was a stathead. I loved milestones. I was a complete junkie every season hoping someone would break DiMaggio's 56 game streak. I liked watching George Brett (even though I disliked him) go for .400. I took pride when I was 11 that I had memorized the top all-time 20 HR hitters. That list was a constant for a long time until Reggie joined it.

But a few things happened, a started playing fantasy or rotisserie baseball in 87. I became obsessed with the game by game numbers of players, that for the most part I didn't care about the following season. That began the erosion process in my love for the game.

I don't think there was anyone who didn't think McGwire was a juicer when he bombed out 47 or 49 hrs his rookie year (87??). Then the coolness of McGwire and Sosa chasing the HR record lasted about 15 minutes for me. A record that had stood for 45 years, well since 61, was gone.

I always loved the Maris 61 in 162 vs Ruth 60 in 154 debate. I'm a Ruth guy. I can't imagine how amazing it would have been to see him knock out more HRs in a season than teams.

It was inevitable that Bonds, the asshole, would smash the record, leading into more confusion as to asterisks and what's tainted and what isn't. I further began to sour on the game and records. I also continued to age. The kid who loved that stuff from ages 7-13, that memorized stats off the backs of baseball cards religiously, was now 30, and pretty apathetic to what he was seeing.

During this time Ripken broke Gehrig's streak, which I somewhat attribute to luck, good fortune, and some greatness. Once again a long milestone was shattered. Cool for Cal, but another reflection of how things I idolized and worshipped as a kid were fading.

Ultimately, there was Arod. I liked Arod. He was a baller. I hoped, at the very least, he'd be healthy enough to break Bonds record. Again, 755 was my locker code in 6th grade. It sucks Bonds has that. I hated Bonds for a good long time, and most of that stems from a playful debate my buddy and I used to have whether he or Bobby Bonilla was better. As time marched on, I was clearly in the wrong. I like Bonds now. He's an asshole. He owned it, and he mashed the ball, juiced or not. He was also colluded against. There's no reason he couldn't have played a few more years with his talent and ability.

Back to Arod. When he was busted for the PEDs, I ultimately faced the fact that the last 20 years of baseball is a mystery. Who is juicing. Who isn't? Which records are sacred anymore, which aren't. I was pretty disenchanted with a game that I idolized. I had survived two strikes, and a lot of shitty baseball from the Angels since I can remember (76-77.)

I loved records and milestones, but they somewhat depress me. I used to know every single pitcher that threw a perfect game. Then it seemed like there was a spurt of them, and they didn't seem so magical. Dallas Braeden? I am more passionate about Jim Joyce fûcked up Armando Gallaraga's perfect game.

I will probably be really bummed out when some dude breaks DiMaggio's streak and he's out of the league two years later. It's too bad Rose, Tony Gwynn, or Boggs couldn't own it. They deserve it. Trout would be an awesome guy to possess that record.

I probably am in the camp that Pujols probably has had a career that's probably scientifically-aided. I can be naive and hope that he's pure. I have no idea. Him climbing the ranks is cool. I always disliked Mike Schmidt, for no legitimate reason, and never wanted him to pass Reggie.

If Albert can continue rocking it, I like it. It's much more fun to see him hit bombs, than grounders to third.

Ultimately, following the game today is unlike it was when I really loved it in the 70s and early 80s when the game being on TV was a real treat, and Dick Enberg and Don Dysdale then Bob Starr and Ron Fairly gave me the magic. And I would call Angel talk after many games, just because I loved it so much.

I wish I could step into the 1920s for a week and watch Cobb and Ruth play and check out some of the parks that don't exist anymore.

Getting old is a bummer. It's almost comical the stats that exist these days. I don't know what half of them mean anymore. I believe in their value, but I'm too busy to really figure out or care about them. The best joy is when I will rarely go to an Angel game and hit BP. My kids love yelling at players and getting balls and autographs. Their joy, is my joy.

I know people call me a troll on this board, but like you have said about me, I have passion for the team. I pretty much watch most games if I'm home. My wife nor kids aren't interested in watching. They are buried in their cellphones, tablets, computers, homework, or practicing soccer or karate for hours and hours.

I wish I could go back to being a kid, pretending to be Nolan Ryan, pitching against my garage, or pretending to be A left-handed Bob Grich, fielding hundreds of grounders a day off the pitchback, or pretending to be Reggie, swinging out of my shoes at the batting cages. It was much easier then, watching the game with my dad. I used to new score and still have my scorebook from when I was 10.

I guess in the end, my love of baseball sort of morphs into my own personal milestones, as they pertain to the game.

Hey at least 383 still stands, right?

Strad, you and I would have loved going to games together when we were 13. I was a stathead. I loved milestones. I was a complete junkie every season hoping someone would break DiMaggio's 56 game streak. I liked watching George Brett (even though I disliked him) go for .400. I took pride when I was 11 that I had memorized the top all-time 20 HR hitters. That list was a constant for a long time until Reggie joined it.

But a few things happened, a started playing fantasy or rotisserie baseball in 87. I became obsessed with the game by game numbers of players, that for the most part I didn't care about the following season. That began the erosion process in my love for the game.

I don't think there was anyone who didn't think McGwire was a juicer when he bombed out 47 or 49 hrs his rookie year (87??). Then the coolness of McGwire and Sosa chasing the HR record lasted about 15 minutes for me. A record that had stood for 45 years, well since 61, was gone.

I always loved the Maris 61 in 162 vs Ruth 60 in 154 debate. I'm a Ruth guy. I can't imagine how amazing it would have been to see him knock out more HRs in a season than teams.

It was inevitable that Bonds, the asshole, would smash the record, leading into more confusion as to asterisks and what's tainted and what isn't. I further began to sour on the game and records. I also continued to age. The kid who loved that stuff from ages 7-13, that memorized stats off the backs of baseball cards religiously, was now 30, and pretty apathetic to what he was seeing.

During this time Ripken broke Gehrig's streak, which I somewhat attribute to luck, good fortune, and some greatness. Once again a long milestone was shattered. Cool for Cal, but another reflection of how things I idolized and worshipped as a kid were fading.

Ultimately, there was Arod. I liked Arod. He was a baller. I hoped, at the very least, he'd be healthy enough to break Bonds record. Again, 755 was my locker code in 6th grade. It sucks Bonds has that. I hated Bonds for a good long time, and most of that stems from a playful debate my buddy and I used to have whether he or Bobby Bonilla was better. As time marched on, I was clearly in the wrong. I like Bonds now. He's an asshole. He owned it, and he mashed the ball, juiced or not. He was also colluded against. There's no reason he couldn't have played a few more years with his talent and ability.

Back to Arod. When he was busted for the PEDs, I ultimately faced the fact that the last 20 years of baseball is a mystery. Who is juicing. Who isn't? Which records are sacred anymore, which aren't. I was pretty disenchanted with a game that I idolized. I had survived two strikes, and a lot of shitty baseball from the Angels since I can remember (76-77.)

I loved records and milestones, but they somewhat depress me. I used to know every single pitcher that threw a perfect game. Then it seemed like there was a spurt of them, and they didn't seem so magical. Dallas Braeden? I am more passionate about Jim Joyce fûcked up Armando Gallaraga's perfect game.

I will probably be really bummed out when some dude breaks DiMaggio's streak and he's out of the league two years later. It's too bad Rose, Tony Gwynn, or Boggs couldn't own it. They deserve it. Trout would be an awesome guy to possess that record.

I probably am in the camp that Pujols probably has had a career that's probably scientifically-aided. I can be naive and hope that he's pure. I have no idea. Him climbing the ranks is cool. I always disliked Mike Schmidt, for no legitimate reason, and never wanted him to pass Reggie.

If Albert can continue rocking it, I like it. It's much more fun to see him hit bombs, than grounders to third.

Ultimately, following the game today is unlike it was when I really loved it in the 70s and early 80s when the game being on TV was a real treat, and Dick Enberg and Don Dysdale then Bob Starr and Ron Fairly gave me the magic. And I would call Angel talk after many games, just because I loved it so much.

I wish I could step into the 1920s for a week and watch Cobb and Ruth play and check out some of the parks that don't exist anymore.

Getting old is a bummer. It's almost comical the stats that exist these days. I don't know what half of them mean anymore. I believe in their value, but I'm too busy to really figure out or care about them. The best joy is when I will rarely go to an Angel game and hit BP. My kids love yelling at players and getting balls and autographs. Their joy, is my joy.

I know people call me a troll on this board, but like you have said about me, I have passion for the team. I pretty much watch most games if I'm home. My wife nor kids aren't interested in watching. They are buried in their cellphones, tablets, computers, homework, or practicing soccer or karate for hours and hours.

I wish I could go back to being a kid, pretending to be Nolan Ryan, pitching against my garage, or pretending to be A left-handed Bob Grich, fielding hundreds of grounders a day off the pitchback, or pretending to be Reggie, swinging out of my shoes at the batting cages. It was much easier then, watching the game with my dad. I used to new score and still have my scorebook from when I was 10.

I guess in the end, my love of baseball sort of morphs into my own personal milestones, as they pertain to the game.

Hey at least 383 still stands, right?

Yea, Soto, this is a tremendous post and I knew that there had to be a deep seeded reason you weren't a milestone guy. I still care for the real milestones and I guess I am wired to assume most players are clean or honest, but you are right it will never be like it once was when we were oblivious to the "other" side of sports. I still love milestones, especially for the guys that are more than likely clean. You mentioned Ripken passing Gehrig and I got the impression you felt like that was a bad thing, I don't really agree, that is a real milestone. I have been able to be at two games in Anaheim when players got their 3000 hit, Carew and Brett, and even though we were raised to hate George Brett because he was on KC and they were in our division for our childhood, I still couldn't help but be excited to witness it. I also remember knowing all of the perfect games, but now couldn't come close to knowing them all, but I truly believe that is something special no matter who does it. I gained a TON of respect for Jim Joyce for how he handled himself after the Galarraga perfect game f' up. I am probably more passionate about the Angels now that I was growing up, just has to do with access and ability to go see them whenever I would like to. Also this place, while is a tough place to be when the team is playing poorly, is a great place to be when they are winning. What I will say about being more passionate about the Angels, is it has made me less of a baseball fan. EVERY GAME is televised these days so I spend 3 hours a night watching baseball, and watching my favorite team play. Before this I would watch just as much baseball, but far less Angel games. I gave up fantasy because it took too much of my time, and when I tried to go back to it, I was awful. As far as the new stats, yea, I feel behind the times, which is probably the first time that baseball has made me feel old, outside of the fact that over the last several years you and I have seen players come up and then retire and we remember their entire careers, that is strange. Hell, I am almost the age Nolan was when he retired. Thanks for answering my question Soto, I knew there was a reason. What's crazy when you think about it is even though it isn't as pure as we once perceived it to be, it is still by far the best sport there is, and probably still the most pure.

There's a big difference between bitterness and indifference. For most of us it's plain old indifference isn't it? I want to see him pass Bonds' HR mark because that would mean he's doing very well and therefore the team was doing well. But I'm pretty indifferent about the actual milestones. That might change though if he keeps hitting the crap out of the ball and helps to carry this team to success.

I wonder if the guys in the dugout are indifferent about the milestones.

Yea, Soto, this is a tremendous post and I knew that there had to be a deep seeded reason you weren't a milestone guy. I still care for the real milestones and I guess I am wired to assume most players are clean or honest, but you are right it will never be like it once was when we were oblivious to the "other" side of sports. I still love milestones, especially for the guys that are more than likely clean. You mentioned Ripken passing Gehrig and I got the impression you felt like that was a bad thing, I don't really agree, that is a real milestone. I have been able to be at two games in Anaheim when players got their 3000 hit, Carew and Brett, and even though we were raised to hate George Brett because he was on KC and they were in our division for our childhood, I still couldn't help but be excited to witness it. I also remember knowing all of the perfect games, but now couldn't come close to knowing them all, but I truly believe that is something special no matter who does it. I gained a TON of respect for Jim Joyce for how he handled himself after the Galarraga perfect game f' up. I am probably more passionate about the Angels now that I was growing up, just has to do with access and ability to go see them whenever I would like to. Also this place, while is a tough place to be when the team is playing poorly, is a great place to be when they are winning. What I will say about being more passionate about the Angels, is it has made me less of a baseball fan. EVERY GAME is televised these days so I spend 3 hours a night watching baseball, and watching my favorite team play. Before this I would watch just as much baseball, but far less Angel games. I gave up fantasy because it took too much of my time, and when I tried to go back to it, I was awful. As far as the new stats, yea, I feel behind the times, which is probably the first time that baseball has made me feel old, outside of the fact that over the last several years you and I have seen players come up and then retire and we remember their entire careers, that is strange. Hell, I am almost the age Nolan was when he retired. Thanks for answering my question Soto, I knew there was a reason. What's crazy when you think about it is even though it isn't as pure as we once perceived it to be, it is still by far the best sport there is, and probably still the most pure.

Funny you say that. Every year since 1978 is get a who's who in baseball and figure out all the players stats and ages. This year, with Ibanez now playing, marks the first time that someone isn't older than me in the MLB. That's a hard fact to swallow.

As for fantasy, I gave it up about 10 years ago. I came back for one year here with AWs league and enjoyed it somewhat but it didn't really kickstart my love for the game. Unfortunately I think it ruined my love for the game.

At this point I'm a much bigger soccer fan than baseball fan. While very few will comprehend that here, for me it is non-stop action for 90 minutes then it's over.

Baseball is long and boring to me. It is no longer fun. I posted this the other day but I went from going to 20-40 games a season as a kid, to a season ticket holder in my late 20s and early 30s. The financial means aren't there nor is the interest.

Above all, the Angels are my favorite team because it's been 37-38 years, and I'm a lifer. So I watch with tempered enthusiasm.

I find this site hysterical because the Angels are really a shitty franchise. Yeah Arte drops the price of beer but it's underachieving. 2002 was magic but I never have any hopes of this team actually succeeding. Every time I get drawn in, the Angels bend over. It's been the royals, the white sox, and the Red Sox the last few years.

And as for Cal, good for him. I'm indifferent. What I do like about milestones is the sacredness of them. So DiMaggio's streak feels nice to me at 74 years old. Ryan's 383ks feels good to me at 42 years old. And then there's stuff like Cy Young's 511 wins. Nobody is touching that, nor probably Nolan's 5,000+ k's. I like the security of some milestones.

Records are meant to be broken. I was at Reggie's 500th, Sutton's 300th and Carew's 3,000. Those were cool. It's fun to see Albert climb the ladder, and Arod despite all the hate for him. I like seeing him succeed despite the tremendous wave of negative energy people put towards him. I felt that way for Bonds in the end.

I think Trout is a great player. Perhaps opposing fans will hate him 20 years from now, when he is hopefully cementing his status as one of the all-time greats. What I know is, he signed balls and shirts for my kids three years ago at ST, and couldn't have been a nicer kid.

I think I just miss the experience of the game as a youth. In the 70s I got balls and autographs (remember they just walked out center field, and in the 80s, the opposing teams walked right out that front office entrance to their bus) broken bats, lineup cards and guys would even chat with you for a few minutes after the game.

I'm glad my kids love BP and ST and perhaps when life slows down, we will go again and enjoy it.

Probably the coolest thing I own are the keys to the old gate 3. I "found" them one day at the end of a game. I cherish those things.

I'm sure this has been brought up before but I was looking at all the milestones within Albert's reach and it's honestly pretty exciting. Obviously it isn't if you don't care but as someone who does, I found it pretty cool that:

He's just 361 RBI's away from passing Bonds on the all-time RBI list. Just 441 away from passing Cap Anson for 3rd all time on the RBI list (although A-Rod will eventually pass him pushing him back to 4th all time). With 6.5 years left on his contract both are very much within reach, and probably pretty likely.

He's just 422 hits away from 3000. After this year is over, he'll be closer to 300 away. This is pretty much a guarantee at this point. He has a fair shot at passing Molitor for 10th all time in hits, being just 742 hits away.

He's 99 doubles away from passing Biggio for 5th all time. I'd say this is all but a guarantee as well. He isn't terribly far off from Musial as well (3rd all time). If he averages 23 doubles a year for the rest of his career (including this year) he will pass him. He'll pass Rose if he averages 27 a year.

As far as homeruns go, he's 76 away from passing Thome for 7th all time. Barring any serious injuries, this is all but a guarantee. Hell he could be there by the end of 2017. He needs 124 to pass Mays for 5th all time. This will be difficult, but I think he will do it. I don't think he will pass Ruth (who will probably be passed by A-Rod) but it's not completely out of reach. My guess is he finishes just shy of 700.

So to recap, you have a guy who could end up being in the top 10 in hits, HR, RBI, and 2B by the time he retires. Once he passes Hank Aaron in doubles (56 away) he would be the only player in history who can say that. Of course, that may not end up happening, but it's pretty amazing that it's a real possibility.

Dude is a machine. Plain and simple.

Yes.  And we will see you in 3 years with your USA crap on when WC hits and you join the other millions of bandwagoners loving a game you hate.

feel free to express your freedom of choice and watch soccer, but you'll never catch me jumping on a soccer bandwagon. crowded or otherwise. soccer needs to change the rules like the nhl did, to increase scoring. after that abolish the tie rule, then i'll give it a shot.

I don't think there was anyone who didn't think McGwire was a juicer when he bombed out 47 or 49 hrs his rookie year (87??). "

- Soto

Do you recall what McGwire looked like his rookie year?  He was far from roided out.

Yes.  And we will see you in 3 years with your USA crap on when WC hits and you join the other millions of bandwagoners loving a game you hate.

Bitter soccer fans are too funny. 

Every four years people care about sports they have barely heard of because of the Olympics.  This isn't some phenomenon that is only about soccer.

Bitter soccer fans are too funny.

Every four years people care about sports they have barely heard of because of the Olympics. This isn't some phenomenon that is only about soccer.

I'm not a bitter soccer fan, just my personal preference. I don't watch the Olympics. The last time I did was 1984 when I went to several events. That was cool, but it didn't make me a fan. Nobody has to like soccer here. You guys are funny, it's like you're total soccerphobes. Nobody is trying to take your game from you. For me, three hours of baseball with 1,000 commercials became boring for me.

Clearly it's an issue or the MLB wouldn't be trying to speed up play. Hate soccer. Doesn't make any difference to me.

" I don't think there was anyone who didn't think McGwire was a juicer when he bombed out 47 or 49 hrs his rookie year (87??). "

- Soto

Do you recall what McGwire looked like his rookie year? He was far from roided out.

Thinner than the dude he broke the record, he was still a big guy. I used to go to games at USC. He was still big, lots of acne. It was plausible to believe he was juicing them. Many thought it.