• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Does Anyone Really Care....

I'm not a bitter soccer fan, just my personal preference. I don't watch the Olympics. The last time I did was 1984 when I went to several events. That was cool, but it didn't make me a fan. Nobody has to like soccer here. You guys are funny, it's like you're total soccerphobes. Nobody is trying to take your game from you. For me, three hours of baseball with 1,000 commercials became boring for me.

Clearly it's an issue or the MLB wouldn't be trying to speed up play. Hate soccer. Doesn't make any difference to me.

We don't hate soccer  We simply just don't care about it for the most part save around every four years.  Kind of like downhill skiing.

I'm sure this has been brought up before but I was looking at all the milestones within Albert's reach and it's honestly pretty exciting. Obviously it isn't if you don't care but as someone who does, I found it pretty cool that:

He's just 361 RBI's away from passing Bonds on the all-time RBI list. Just 441 away from passing Cap Anson for 3rd all time on the RBI list (although A-Rod will eventually pass him pushing him back to 4th all time). With 6.5 years left on his contract both are very much within reach, and probably pretty likely.

He's just 422 hits away from 3000. After this year is over, he'll be closer to 300 away. This is pretty much a guarantee at this point. He has a fair shot at passing Molitor for 10th all time in hits, being just 742 hits away.

He's 99 doubles away from passing Biggio for 5th all time. I'd say this is all but a guarantee as well. He isn't terribly far off from Musial as well (3rd all time). If he averages 23 doubles a year for the rest of his career (including this year) he will pass him. He'll pass Rose if he averages 27 a year.

As far as homeruns go, he's 76 away from passing Thome for 7th all time. Barring any serious injuries, this is all but a guarantee. Hell he could be there by the end of 2017. He needs 124 to pass Mays for 5th all time. This will be difficult, but I think he will do it. I don't think he will pass Ruth (who will probably be passed by A-Rod) but it's not completely out of reach. My guess is he finishes just shy of 700.

So to recap, you have a guy who could end up being in the top 10 in hits, HR, RBI, and 2B by the time he retires. Once he passes Hank Aaron in doubles (56 away) he would be the only player in history who can say that. Of course, that may not end up happening, but it's pretty amazing that it's a real possibility.

Dude is a machine. Plain and simple.

Yeah that's cool, and it's also the sign of a dude who played til he's 44. Reggie ended up with 563 HRS, he was shit to watch after 86. And he aside from the 38 bombs he had in 82, he never matched the heroics of his Yankee days.

I see these guys as being very similar. We for Reggie late, after the heroics, after rings. He really didn't carry us anywhere. Now one could argue that Mauch squandered 82 and 86 playoff years, and I wouldn't disagree. I was there for Reggie's 500th, and while that was cool, nothing beat the feeling for me than 2002 winning the WS.

Pujols racking up the numbers will be cool, but there was a time he was feared, and he won games with massive shots. He also won the ring. I think the legacy is set here if he can help do that. To me Albert seems like a Gehrig, finishing it out, while Trout is the DiMaggio, the guy who comes in and seals the deal. Hopefully the same 9 rings too.

We don't hate soccer We simply just don't care about it for the most part save around every four years. Kind of like downhill skiing.

The time many of you take to crap on it, would indicate that's there's more ill-will towards it on your behalf, than it just being another sport. I'm pretty sure the downhill skiing mention here might be a first.

But have it mang. I enjoy it.

The time many of you take to crap on it, would indicate that's there's more ill-will towards it on your behalf, than it just being another sport. I'm pretty sure the downhill skiing mention here might be a first.

But have it mang. I enjoy it.

That's just to piss off soccer guy.

I guess it works.  Glad you enjoy the game.  I enjoy baseball.

Yes.  And we will see you in 3 years with your USA crap on when WC hits and you join the other millions of bandwagoners loving a game you hate.

Lighten up Francis....  At the very least, save the rant for someone that actually hates soccer.  I'm neither a fan nor a hater, I do however find that Simpsons snippet to be funny.   I've watched some EPL stuff and while I don't find it boring (or exciting), it's just nothing I can really get into.  

FWIW, we have purchased the World Cup package and aired it in our "pit" during work hours, I'm sure we will again.  Like the Olympics, people get into the hoopla and nationalism of it all, but nobody has ever asked for us to switch from the MLB Network to a soccer match.  Win or go home tournaments always ramp up the "excitement" factor, so not sure if that made them bandwagon or not, but I'd say you're right many people will fall in line for it, like they do Olympic sports they otherwise wouldn't spend any time and or money on.

Damn hooligan.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Maybe somebody can explain how this turned into a soccer thread.

I also watch this every 4 years:

9743109.jpg

if that's bandwagon then so be it.

As do I. Curling is underrated.

Soccer, however, is WAYYYYYY overrated. FIFA is horribly run and probably the epitome of institutionalized corruption, and I enjoy every bad thing that happens to an organization that thinks it's ok to force their "host" countries to build multimillion dollar facilities so they can host a couple of matches and not be used for their primary function ever again. Also, awarding the World Cup to Qatar. In completely outdoor stadiums. To be played in summer.

Never mind the numerous deaths of workers constructing those stadiums.

Edited by Mark68

I'm not a bitter soccer fan, just my personal preference. I don't watch the Olympics. The last time I did was 1984 when I went to several events. That was cool, but it didn't make me a fan. Nobody has to like soccer here. You guys are funny, it's like you're total soccerphobes. Nobody is trying to take your game from you. For me, three hours of baseball with 1,000 commercials became boring for me.

Clearly it's an issue or the MLB wouldn't be trying to speed up play. Hate soccer. Doesn't make any difference to me.

You should give the Olympics another try. Now with the internet it's finally possible to avoid NBC and watch streams from Europe that cover all the events, not just events in which Americans are expected to podium.

You should give the Olympics another try. Now with the internet it's finally possible to avoid NBC and watch streams from Europe that cover all the events, not just events in which Americans are expected to podium.

I worked with NBC for 12 years and worked olympic coverage. It's not that I haven't watched it (and even then, got all the feeds at my desk) just not enamored by it.

I worked with NBC for 12 years and worked olympic coverage. It's not that I haven't watched it (and even then, got all the feeds at my desk) just not enamored by it.

Since you worked at NBC, you never saw the Olympics live.  Try it live, its awesome.

feel free to express your freedom of choice and watch soccer, but you'll never catch me jumping on a soccer bandwagon. crowded or otherwise. soccer needs to change the rules like the nhl did, to increase scoring. after that abolish the tie rule, then i'll give it a shot.

Safe to say you'll never give it a shot then.

As do I. Curling is underrated.

Soccer, however, is WAYYYYYY overrated. FIFA is horribly run and probably the epitome of institutionalized corruption, and I enjoy every bad thing that happens to an organization that thinks it's ok to force their "host" countries to build multimillion dollar facilities so they can host a couple of matches and not be used for their primary function ever again. Also, awarding the World Cup to Qatar. In completely outdoor stadiums. To be played in summer.

Never mind the numerous deaths of workers constructing those stadiums.

I hope you don't watch any NCAA sports