• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Josh Hamilton meets with MLB officials about a disciplinary issue

SoWhat

So how is an 80-game suspension for recreational drugs "worse" than a PED suspension, as others have reported.  Something doesn't add up here.  Methinks there is much more to this.

Yeah, exactly. That Rosenthal thing makes me think it has to be worse than a drug relapse. And the only things that are worse than that are pretty horrific.

from roy firestone on facebook:

"Josh Hamilton is about to be suspended by MLB and reports are it's NOT about PEDS. If it IS about a drug related relapse this would be a terribly sad and tragic development. Hamilton disclosed a "fall" about three years ago during the offseason. If Hamilton is disciplined for drug use, it would be much worse than for PEDs and a life hangs in the balance, and we aren't talking about a baseball life."

Why does anyone need an accountability person? Shouldn't we all just be accountable for ourselves? Angels FO is not to blame for Hamilton's errors...Hamilton is.

This is like saying people with mental issues should just help themselves instead of seeking therapy. Addiction is a serious issue and most, if not all people who suffer from it need help getting and staying over it.

So how is an 80-game suspension for recreational drugs "worse" than a PED suspension, as others have reported. Something doesn't add up here. Methinks there is much more to this.

For a guy who is addicted to dangerous drugs that cause terrible bodily harm taking them is worse than a little HGH.

According to a Mike DiGiovanna article, Hamilton's 2009 and 2012 relapses did count as offenses under the current drug policy. Only his 2003 and 2005 ones do.

So at a minimum, this would mean an 80 game suspension.

This sounds more correct.  Just because it's in the current language, doesn't mean that it carries over.  (see Arod)  

I just hope the dude gets help.  It's one thing to be a PED user.  Hate those guys, and the penalties are not harsh enough.  But he has some serious demons chasing him.  The worse thing that MLB can do is turn their backs on him.  Because baseball aside, he needs help.

Hamilton is / was paid well enough to afford his own accountability partner. 

That's not the point I was making. 

He should have one regardless.  If someone was paid $100K a season to follow Hamilton around and keep him away from drugs, that's chump change in the context of a five year, $125 million contract. 

That's not the point I was making. 

He should have one regardless.  If someone was paid $100K a season to follow Hamilton around and keep him away from drugs, that's chump change in the context of a five year, $125 million contract. 

how do we know that the halos didn't try and the mlbpa made it up to the player and it couldn't be in the contract?  

For a guy who is addicted to dangerous drugs that cause terrible bodily harm taking them is worse than a little HGH.

I appreciate that, and I agree.  I guess I interpreted those reports as coming more from a baseball perspective then a human perspective.  From a baseball perspective, given the penalties discussed on this board, a suspension for recreational drug use doesn't seem as severe as for PEDs (which is a bit ironic in and of itself).  

Regardless, I get the feeling from the tenor of these reports that Josh will be away from the team for more than 80 games--whether that is by suspension imposed by MLB or by Josh voluntarily.  And that seems to be in the best interest of both team and player.