• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Josh Hamilton meets with MLB officials about a disciplinary issue

SoWhat

During Spring Training of the 2003 season, Hamilton failed his first drug test. At the start of the 2003 season, Hamilton showed up late several times during spring training and was reassigned to the team's minor league camp. He left the team and resurfaced several times, but eventually took the rest of the season off for personal reasons. Hamilton was hoping to return to spring training with the Devil Rays in 2004, but he was suspended 30 days and fined for violating the drug policy put in place by MLB. Because of the length of his suspension, and the terms of the drug policy, Hamilton could have failed two or more drug tests after being put into the program. A "failed" test is one in which there is a positive result for a drug more severe than marijuana.[14] A month later, MLB suspended him for the entire season after he failed two more tests.[15][16]

Hamilton was out of baseball for almost three years. He made several attempts at rehabilitation, and started off the 2005 season with hopes of being a star major league outfielder. However, he was arrested before the season for smashing the windshield of a friend's truck. The Rays placed him on the restricted list, moving him off the 40-man roster. After another relapse, MLB suspended him for the entire 2006 season.[16]

so umm sounds like a MLB ban to me.

During Spring Training of the 2003 season, Hamilton failed his first drug test. At the start of the 2003 season, Hamilton showed up late several times during spring training and was reassigned to the team's minor league camp. He left the team and resurfaced several times, but eventually took the rest of the season off for personal reasons. Hamilton was hoping to return to spring training with the Devil Rays in 2004, but he was suspended 30 days and fined for violating the drug policy put in place by MLB. Because of the length of his suspension, and the terms of the drug policy, Hamilton could have failed two or more drug tests after being put into the program. A "failed" test is one in which there is a positive result for a drug more severe than marijuana.[14] A month later, MLB suspended him for the entire season after he failed two more tests.[15][16]

Hamilton was out of baseball for almost three years. He made several attempts at rehabilitation, and started off the 2005 season with hopes of being a star major league outfielder. However, he was arrested before the season for smashing the windshield of a friend's truck. The Rays placed him on the restricted list, moving him off the 40-man roster. After another relapse, MLB suspended him for the entire 2006 season.[16]

Based on all of that and what DiGiovanna tweeted, this could be the final nail in the Josh Hamilton baseball career coffin.

Hamilton is done.  

"There is no language in the contract protecting the Angels from a relapse involving drugs or alcohol. But Hamilton must undergo three drug tests per week, and he is subject to penalties under baseball's joint drug program should he test positive."

i didn't think he'd be the hot mess he has been for us, but i never understood not having drug language in the contract. that always seemed needlessly wreckless. you offered him the biggest contract, he was going to sign it no matter what drug language you inserted.

Here is the article I mentioned:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-josh-hamilton-20150224-story.html

Hamilton, the first pick of the 1999 draft by the Tampa Bay Rays, suffered alcohol relapses in 2009 and 2012, but those transgressions did not count as offenses under the current drug policy. One condition of Hamilton’s reinstatement was that he be tested for drugs three times a week.

"There is no language in the contract protecting the Angels from a relapse involving drugs or alcohol. But Hamilton must undergo three drug tests per week, and he is subject to penalties under baseball's joint drug program should he test positive."

i didn't think he'd be the hot mess he has been for us, but i never understood not having drug language in the contract. that always seemed needlessly wreckless. you offered him the biggest contract, he was going to sign it no matter what drug language you inserted.

Because the collective bargaining agreement doesn't allow them to.

For what it's worth, I just checked and Hamilton has no criminal charges (drug or otherwise) pending at the FEDERAL level.  I didn't feel like paying for an Orange County Superior Court name search, so all I could check was the calendar for the next 7 weeks.  Again, no charges pending. 

I guess this is a good thing.