• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cops are great

Adam

LBHalos17, my last post wasn't specifically directed at you.  That's why I created a new reply.

How many of the following traits apply to you or your co-workers?  Be honest.  Don't tell us which ones, just count them up.  I'm not mocking you either, just genuinely curious because I see these in my family and friends who are cops. 

- You have a PO Box or use the police station address because you're afraid to reveal your home address.

- Sometimes you use aliases (or cash) when buying things to avoid revealing your real name.

- You regularly Google your name, address, and phone numbers to make sure they haven't been posted to the internet.  Alternatively, you pay a monitoring service to do this for you.  

- You have confidential license plates so not even the DMV can see your home address.

- The house you own is not listed in your name, but in your lawyer's name.

- Outgoing caller ID on your landline and cell phone is blocked by default.

- Utility bills are either sent to your PO Box or listed in somebody else's name.

- Your plumber, electrician, repairman, and auto mechanic have been vetted with background checks by fellow officers or your police union.

- Your house has an expensive alarm and surveillance camera system.

- Working and living in the same city is not an option.

- All of your street clothes are purposely baggy to conceal a weapon.

- Your closest friends are fellow officers because you have a hard time trusting anybody else.

- You don't want your wife or daughters out by themselves after dark.

- You insist that your wife and daughters learn how to use your guns.

- You have enough ammunition stored up to kill your entire neighborhood.

- You have a top of the line paper shredder.

- You have motion detection flood lamps on all sides of your house.

- You have plastic zip-tie handcuffs in the trunk of your car.

- You have a scanner at home to monitor radio traffic while off-duty.

- You have enough firearms to open a gun shop out of your house.

- You are leery about doing business online.

- You dislike flying by airplane because TSA won't allow you to bring firearms along.

- You take medications like Xanax or Prozac because your anxiety levels are off the charts. 

Are you serious?  Your family and friends really need medical help.  I wonder if you would ever show them these posts?...

I'll address your list, and number it since you couldn't/wouldn't.

1.  Address for what?  Regular mail goes to my house (in Long Beach, which is listed under my name; see numbers 5 and 10)

2.  You watch too much Mission Impossible/Bourne Whatever

3.  See #2

4.  I don't.  Some Officer who have been specifically targeted by gang members/etc. have confidential plates.

5.  See #1

6.  Who has landlines anymore.  My cell # can be blocked, especially when I'm using it (and my own minutes) for Department purposes.

7.  See #1 again

8.  Actually, most of my contractors ARE Police or Fireman.  It is easier to trust them somehow..

9.  No alarms.  Come break-in, if you're feeling lucky.

10.  See #1

11.  I don't really approve of skinny jeans, but I generally leave my weapons at home when I go to the beach (as I've said before).  I do go CCW to some places in the City though (like Towne Center, Pine Ave., etc.), but I don't feel the paranoia to carry everywhere.

12.  My best friends are the guys I grew-up playing hockey/in bands with, my Lifeguard partner (now a Fire Engineer), and yes, other Cops.

13.  I don't place a paranoia-blanket over my daughters.  They are brought-up as I was: be aware of your surroundings.

14.  They asked me to go shooting, and I instilled gun-safety/responsibility in them.  The guns are locked away from them.

15.  I like most of my neighbors; it's the folks who come into our neighborhood looking for trouble that would find it.  I have enough rounds to defend my house, or take-off on a last-minute hunting/shooting trip.

16.  Don't think it's top-of-the-line, but it's good at shredding old tax docs.

17.  No motion-detector-lights here; too expensively annoying.  The neighbors have some though.

18.  See #2..  Really?!  Yeah; I'm a serial killer by night.  Are you for real?  

19.  No scanner.  When I'm off-duty, the radio goes off.  Unless there's an interesting deal going-on that might lead to a call-out.  Then I'll listen to the radio on my short drive home.

20.  I have to think.. I own two AR-15's (one is an M-16 style hand-me-down), an M44 historical Russian WW2 rifle, a plain shotgun, a .22 rifle (for the kids to learn on mostly), and three handguns (including a duty gun).

21.  I conduct most business online, though I'm as cautious as anyone.  I have been the victim of credit card fraud before.

22.  I actually enjoy flying.  I can usually knock-out at least one book during the flight, unless they've got the personal video going.  I have transported a firearm once: When my father and I flew back to NYC in Nov. 2001.  I attended a First-Responders funeral in Class-A uniform to represent my Department (and California actually, at that funeral).  Funny thing though, I used to end-up on the no-fly list for some reason COMING BACK to California from Phoenix Airport.  That was time-consuming..

23.  Again, your friends and family of Officers must have been working for the Beirut Sheriffs Department..  I will occasionally take a night-time tylenol when I work late and need to get a few hours guaranteed sleep before an early-morning warrant or court appearance.

I like to come-in here and share my knowledge and experience, and try not to take things too personally.. Until I read blanket accusations against Officers, since I am one.

As far as your list.. If your family and friends check half of your list, they need help.  Most of my co-workers and I were chosen for this profession because of a reasonable personality.  We do not take things personally for the most part, unless it's life-and-death.  We can leave the job at work, though we are Officers at all times (even when we screw-up off-duty).

I know there are some Officers that check a few of your boxes, but they are few and far between.  Most of those are serious gun-enthusiasts that sometimes mix their night-time tylenol with a beer after work.  We work pretty hard to keep a good partnership with our community (MY community), and I'm genuinely pissed-off when somebody does something stupid, because it makes all of us look bad.

Pick your context as usual eMT.  I'm willing to let justice work, but to you the Officers shouldn't get due process.  Just rely on minutes of video from one angle.  Does it see everything as you obviously do?  Grow some reason to go along with your emotion.

Here's the difference.  I'm not calling for anything to "happen" to the officers.  I know that an investigation will occur.  It is just I have seen enough of these to have my doubts that the end result of the investigation will be "justice".  This is my opinion from the majority of other incidents I have seen over my lifetime and the following investigations.  This has nothing to do with emotion, it has to do with my learned experience over time.

Guy should be fired for falsifying the report, and the Department/City should settle her pending lawsuit (She should have one filed; seems to be a slam-dunk).  

Fired?

Why? So he can be rehired immediately by an adjacent police department and continue victimizing people. That is with the assumption that he doesn't want to keep sucking on the public tit with his fraudulent "permanent duty disability".

I'm no lawyer but I think maybe this penalty should apply in this situation:

18 U.S. Code § 242 - Deprivation of rights under color of law

Whoever, under color of any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom, willfully subjects any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or to different punishments, pains, or penalties, on account of such person being an alien, or by reason of his color, or race, than are prescribed for the punishment of citizens, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both; and if bodily injury results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include the use, attempted use, or threatened use of a dangerous weapon, explosives, or fire, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

Or, maybe just afford him the same "due process" that was given to the guy on the beach or the homeless man in ABQ (and countless thousands of others).

I also think these complicit ****ing District Attorneys  who almost always refuse to bring charges against these dirty cops should be nailed under

18 U.S. Code § 241 - Conspiracy against rights. That will never happen in the Just-Us system. Too many indoctrinated copsuckers.

Thanks for volunteering for the public to pay for her medical bills and millions in settlement instead of the person directly responsible. It makes so much sense to bill the victims and allow the criminals in government costumes to skate.

Fired?

Why? So he can be rehired immediately by an adjacent police department and continue victimizing people. That is with the assumption that he doesn't want to keep sucking on the public tit with his fraudulent "permanent duty disability".

I'm no lawyer but I think maybe this penalty should apply in this situation:

18 U.S. Code § 242 - Deprivation of rights under color of law

Or, maybe just afford him the same "due process" that was given to the guy on the beach or the homeless man in ABQ (and countless thousands of others).

I also think these complicit ****ing District Attorneys  who almost always refuse to bring charges against these dirty cops should be nailed under

18 U.S. Code § 241 - Conspiracy against rights. That will never happen in the Just-Us system. Too many indoctrinated copsuckers.

Thanks for volunteering for the public to pay for her medical bills and millions in settlement instead of the person directly responsible. It makes so much sense to bill the victims and allow the criminals in government costumes to skate.

You offer great solutions here, lud.  Keep complaining, it's easier than getting involved right?

Here's the difference.  I'm not calling for anything to "happen" to the officers.  I know that an investigation will occur.  It is just I have seen enough of these to have my doubts that the end result of the investigation will be "justice".  This is my opinion from the majority of other incidents I have seen over my lifetime and the following investigations.  This has nothing to do with emotion, it has to do with my learned experience over time.

How about work-practices at your job?  I'm sure it's nothing but clear-cut in your world.  At least the investigations you get to see in your lifetime.

LBHalos17, my last post wasn't specifically directed at you.  That's why I created a new reply.

How many of the following traits apply to you or your co-workers?  Be honest.  Don't tell us which ones, just count them up.  I'm not mocking you either, just genuinely curious because I see these in my family and friends who are cops. 

- You have a PO Box or use the police station address because you're afraid to reveal your home address.

- Sometimes you use aliases (or cash) when buying things to avoid revealing your real name.

- You regularly Google your name, address, and phone numbers to make sure they haven't been posted to the internet.  Alternatively, you pay a monitoring service to do this for you.  

- You have confidential license plates so not even the DMV can see your home address.

- The house you own is not listed in your name, but in your lawyer's name.

- Outgoing caller ID on your landline and cell phone is blocked by default.

- Utility bills are either sent to your PO Box or listed in somebody else's name.

- Your plumber, electrician, repairman, and auto mechanic have been vetted with background checks by fellow officers or your police union.

- Your house has an expensive alarm and surveillance camera system.

- Working and living in the same city is not an option.

- All of your street clothes are purposely baggy to conceal a weapon.

- Your closest friends are fellow officers because you have a hard time trusting anybody else.

- You don't want your wife or daughters out by themselves after dark.

- You insist that your wife and daughters learn how to use your guns.

- You have enough ammunition stored up to kill your entire neighborhood.

- You have a top of the line paper shredder.

- You have motion detection flood lamps on all sides of your house.

- You have plastic zip-tie handcuffs in the trunk of your car.

- You have a scanner at home to monitor radio traffic while off-duty.

- You have enough firearms to open a gun shop out of your house.

- You are leery about doing business online.

- You dislike flying by airplane because TSA won't allow you to bring firearms along.

- You take medications like Xanax or Prozac because your anxiety levels are off the charts. 

I'd be curious how many boxes you check from your own list; it's pretty specific to come-up with some of these, and they aren't limited to LE..

Are you serious?  Your family and friends really need medical help.  I wonder if you would ever show them these posts?...

I like to come-in here and share my knowledge and experience, and try not to take things too personally.. Until I read blanket accusations against Officers, since I am one.

As far as your list.. If your family and friends check half of your list, they need help.  Most of my co-workers and I were chosen for this profession because of a reasonable personality.  We do not take things personally for the most part, unless it's life-and-death.  We can leave the job at work, though we are Officers at all times (even when we screw-up off-duty).

I know there are some Officers that check a few of your boxes, but they are few and far between.  Most of those are serious gun-enthusiasts that sometimes mix their night-time tylenol with a beer after work.  We work pretty hard to keep a good partnership with our community (MY community), and I'm genuinely pissed-off when somebody does something stupid, because it makes all of us look bad.

LBHalos17,

The question I asked was how many of those traits apply to you or your co-workers?   How many?  The list encompasses ALL of the weird or paranoid traits I've observed in police officers I know put together.  I'm betting you've observed each of them in at least one fellow officer.   I can only correlate 8 or 9 items on that list with my civilian friends and family.   Sure, civilians have plenty of other paranoid behaviors based on real or perceived threats to their well-being, but there's no other group I'm aware of with such paranoia related to their employment.  

I'm inclined to believe this kind of paranoid thinking OFF-DUTY is what breeds excessive force and trigger happy police officers while ON-DUTY.  It's not even necessary to resort to these behaviors full time.  Occasionally is more than sufficient to impair police officer judgment.  The more paranoid police officers act, the more crazy members of the public will respond.   

Fixed so you can better understand what I meant

Ok.  That is just one poster.  I don't care about that stuff, I just think he's too willing to accept the status quo and unwilling to accept that the problem is a little bigger than he's wanting to believe.

MT, with that Hindu prayer thing you isolate Congress members but with cops you put a blanket over all of them.  You can't have it both ways.

Not all cops are good, and obviously there are trust issues from the public because historically there have been some major ethics problems.  The problem however is greatly exaggerated by cop haters and the good cops are not appreciated at all, even though they have an incredibly shitty job.

If they have a shitty job then they should quit and do something else.  Voluntarism.

Most cops are good? So what? Most of the time you can drive across New Mexico without being kidnapped and cavity searched:

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/jan/16/nation/la-na-nn-new-mexico-police-search-20140116

and then it happens again http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/local_news/new-lawsuit-alleges-illegal-body-cavity-search/article_29d125fb-4814-55f4-a643-071548698f7a.html

Police wield government power. "Most" is nowhere near good enough.

"The problem however is greatly exaggerated by cop haters..". Laugh. I doubt the people being victimized everyday by these bastards would agree that this is just an exaggeration from "cop haters". The problem with cops originates with cops and especially those who refuse to hold them accountable for their actions.

“Those in the Law Enforcement Profession have complete Power and Authority over You, Your Life, Your Family, Your Loved Ones, Your Rights, Your Freedom, Your future, and Everything Precious to Life,”

------------------- Onslow County Sheriff Ed Brown

MT, with that Hindu prayer thing you isolate Congress members but with cops you put a blanket over all of them.  You can't have it both ways.

Not all cops are good, and obviously there are trust issues from the public because historically there have been some major ethics problems.  The problem however is greatly exaggerated by cop haters and the good cops are not appreciated at all, even though they have an incredibly shitty job.

Sigh, when it comes to certain issues, you have a really hard time staying on point.  I isolated the congress thing because that is exactly what the story was about. 

Now on to what this thread is about.  I have repeatedly argued that it isn't that I think a majority of officers are dirty, it is that I think a majority of officers accept the status quo.  That they, by just ignoring or in some cases directly interfering protect the dirty officers.  Many times police policy in general is ridiculous and meant to protect itself from being questioned.  The blue wall exists and many citizens are getting damn tired of it.  Not just the minorities anymore.

I'm no police apologist (usually on the contrary), but this thread is getting ridiculous. Since LB is our resident cop he's getting put on trial on here? Come on people.

That being said, LB what's your favorite WWI and WWII plane?

I don't understand why you think it is getting ridiculous. It's not like Arch staton said innocent people should get hit by stray bullets because they have a different opinion than him. Maybe we are no better than the shitty cops out there. Btw, I know arch isn't serious but I find it interesting that no one said anything about his post.

Edited by Kevin