• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cops are great

Adam

That's just crazy. Sometimes I wonder if these guys see so much horrible stuff and put up with so many pissed off citizens that something rubs them the wrong way and they snap.

Looks to be excessive to me, but I've also taken punches from women by under-reacting as well..  Obviously, these videos only capture the end of these encounters so we may not be getting the entire story.  I believe this was a 5150 woman, who was walking onto the freeway in a suicide attempt (from another site-account), but I don't know for sure.

We also don't know what other attempts the Officer made to subdue her before going hands-on.  He may have tried a taser (I don't know if CHP are even issued them, or if it would've worked through her several layers of clothing), or flashlight before just tackling her.  In the video she is actively-resisting him, but that many punches is too many to me.  I may have used a gut-punch to take her wind out, then rolled her over to cuff.

Bottom line is that we use the amount of force necessary to overcome the suspects' resistance, but this looks like the Officer was venting.

I have a scenario for you all to play with me...

This was an encounter we had with a drunk 25 year old, male, White yesterday (4th of July) near Bayshore beach in Long Beach at just after 5PM..  Somebody mentioned concerns about Officer mindset, so I'll tell you our shift lasted from 8AM-10PM yesterday; we were in the sun walking around all day long, and never got to eat lunch.

Bayshore Ave. is closed during the summer weekends from 9AM-5PM for the beach crowds to enjoy biking, etc.  It was re-opened as usual yesterday at 5PM in spite of a mass of humanity still enjoying the holiday at the beach (red cups almost outnumbered the people).  We had already responded to several passed-out drunks on the beach, a few of which were transported to area hospitals (including at least one 16 year old female that I know of)..

My partner and I were posted-up at 54th/Bayshore (unofficially called "Horny-Corner" as it's where the college/party people hang-out) when the roads were re-opened.  We started walking the street to advise people that the roads were now open to vehicular traffic, when a male and female pointed-out our eventual arrestee.  They told us he was really drunk and tried to pick a fight with the male, along with most everybody he passed.

I turned and saw him walking away.  At about 20 yards away, he turned around with an angry look and took a couple of steps back toward us until he realized my partner and I were standing next to the male and female.  He turned back around, and started to stumble away, obviously drunk.

We began fast-walking after him, with my partner yelling at him to stop.  He turned his head and saw us, but kept on stumbling away (he was unable to run away, I'm sure).  We caught-up to him, both grabbed an arm and I cuffed him.  He smelled like a brewery as he started cussing at us and threatening to sue us.  Our encounter with him was riddled with him cussing at us, calling us "bitch-ass" this and that, along with the dreaded "N" word!  He even told us that his mom is a hospital nurse, and he hoped she would finish-us off if we were ever injured and taken to her hospital..

We sat him in the backseat of our cage-less, un-marked (Detective-style, you might say) Police car.  He sat behind my Partner who was driving, and I sat in back with him.  He continued the cussing, and threatened to beat us both up if we'd take his cuffs off (This is not a rare threat, it just surprises me that I only hear it after the cuffs are on).

We drove a few blocks toward LB Jail, and he was trying to un-buckle his seatbelt and grab me with his handcuffed hands.  Then, he leaned forward and spit on the back of my partners head...

Let me know how you would've handled this guy, and how you think we should've handled him.  I'll check-in to look at some of the responses, and then let you know how it all worked-out.

This was an encounter we had with a drunk 25 year old, male, White yesterday (4th of July) near Bayshore beach in Long Beach at just after 5PM..  Somebody mentioned concerns about Officer mindset, so I'll tell you our shift lasted from 8AM-10PM yesterday; we were in the sun walking around all day long, and never got to eat lunch.

Bayshore Ave. is closed during the summer weekends from 9AM-5PM for the beach crowds to enjoy biking, etc.  It was re-opened as usual yesterday at 5PM in spite of a mass of humanity still enjoying the holiday at the beach (red cups almost outnumbered the people).  We had already responded to several passed-out drunks on the beach, a few of which were transported to area hospitals (including at least one 16 year old female that I know of)..

My partner and I were posted-up at 54th/Bayshore (unofficially called "Horny-Corner" as it's where the college/party people hang-out) when the roads were re-opened.  We started walking the street to advise people that the roads were now open to vehicular traffic, when a male and female pointed-out our eventual arrestee.  They told us he was really drunk and tried to pick a fight with the male, along with most everybody he passed.

I turned and saw him walking away.  At about 20 yards away, he turned around with an angry look and took a couple of steps back toward us until he realized my partner and I were standing next to the male and female.  He turned back around, and started to stumble away, obviously drunk.

We began fast-walking after him, with my partner yelling at him to stop.  He turned his head and saw us, but kept on stumbling away (he was unable to run away, I'm sure).  We caught-up to him, both grabbed an arm and I cuffed him.  He smelled like a brewery as he started cussing at us and threatening to sue us.  Our encounter with him was riddled with him cussing at us, calling us "bitch-ass" this and that, along with the dreaded "N" word!  He even told us that his mom is a hospital nurse, and he hoped she would finish-us off if we were ever injured and taken to her hospital..

We sat him in the backseat of our cage-less, un-marked (Detective-style, you might say) Police car.  He sat behind my Partner who was driving, and I sat in back with him.  He continued the cussing, and threatened to beat us both up if we'd take his cuffs off (This is not a rare threat, it just surprises me that I only hear it after the cuffs are on).

We drove a few blocks toward LB Jail, and he was trying to un-buckle his seatbelt and grab me with his handcuffed hands.  Then, he leaned forward and spit on the back of my partners head...

Let me know how you would've handled this guy, and how you think we should've handled him.  I'll check-in to look at some of the responses, and then let you know how it all worked-out.

Assault, yes?

Drag his ass out of the car, throw him to the ground, face down. Step on him, "firmly".  Call a cruiser with plexiglass to take him in?  This is my first guess. 

Gassing is an assault so I'm assuming you used a control hold on him while you were in the back with him. Spit masks are always handy too.

Knowing how drunk and belligerent he was I'm surprised you guys didn't have a squad car with plexiglass (of you have any in LB) take him away. But if you arrest him you'll have to book him right? So that's four officers off the streets for one drunk instead of just two.

Holy crap, stuff like that happens to people who choose to be cops?

I can feel the sarcasm radiating out of my screen. I'm guessing that LB's story ends with them stopping the arrestee from spitting in some way (gag, tape, etc...) and get him to jail, or calling in another more secure vehicle for transport. I'm cool with all of those solutions. I think the underlying point he was trying to make though, is that this is why cops lose their shit sometimes. And that makes sense. Most people wouldn't be calm, collected, and restrained in that situation either. But cops are held to a higher standard, as they should be. I think you need an incredible amount of patience and restraint to do that job, and if one doesn't possess those qualities, they need to find a new profession.

This is not a good-shoot imo..  But, we are allowed to use the carotid-hold.  Maybe they are not.  In addition, don't even try to put yourself in the shoes of an Officer who feels his life is threatened; read the entire article.  THIS Officer felt it was his last option.

LB, to say this wasn't a good shoot is an understatement. Just losing a grip on the suspect and immediately going for the gun and shooting him is more than just a bad shoot. This officer has shown incompetence and fearfulness and should in no way be armed and in charge of protecting the public. If this officer gets that unnerved that easily, he shouldn’t be doing that job. Move him to parking meter duty or some other task where a gun isn’t needed. He can still do his civic duty if he feels so compelled. It’s really quite clear to anyone viewing this.

But that’s not the real problem here. The problem is what happens when the police are faced with the knowledge that one of their own isn’t up to the task of protecting and serving. Which is what MT is saying, and I agree. It’s not that there are good and bad cops and I’d say mostly good officers. But rather what happens to the known bad ones. All the evidence in the world constantly shows that almost always the few bad cops get their actions excused away. That unfortunately, just helps perpetuate the community view that it’s us against them and that you should probably fear your local police.

This is already too long, but the one aspect of this conversation that hasn’t been addressed all that much is the training all police academies administer. It’s my understanding that police are trained quite heavily in the idea that they are not to lose control in any conflict, whether it be verbal or physical, no matter what. That losing control of any situation means their lives are put in danger. And when that happens, they are to respond with deadly force if they feel threatened in any way. How much truth is there in that statement? 

First, I'm a little surprised that mp170.6 hasn't responded with his opinion. After all, you played his game. 

All things considered, one of which is the Dept most likely being taxed to its limits on the 4th of July in any beach location. I would say you probably pulled over the car, removed the man, placed him in a hog tie and then put him back in the car face down. If a head bag or face shield was available, that should have been used as well. When he arrived at the jail, he was no doubt put in a restraint chair. Am I close?

LB, to say this wasn't a good shoot is an understatement. Just losing a grip on the suspect and immediately going for the gun and shooting him is more than just a bad shoot. This officer has shown incompetence and fearfulness and should in no way be armed and in charge of protecting the public. If this officer gets that unnerved that easily, he shouldn’t be doing that job. Move him to parking meter duty or some other task where a gun isn’t needed. He can still do his civic duty if he feels so compelled. It’s really quite clear to anyone viewing this.

But that’s not the real problem here. The problem is what happens when the police are faced with the knowledge that one of their own isn’t up to the task of protecting and serving. Which is what MT is saying, and I agree. It’s not that there are good and bad cops and I’d say mostly good officers. But rather what happens to the known bad ones. All the evidence in the world constantly shows that almost always the few bad cops get their actions excused away. That unfortunately, just helps perpetuate the community view that it’s us against them and that you should probably fear your local police.

This is already too long, but the one aspect of this conversation that hasn’t been addressed all that much is the training all police academies administer. It’s my understanding that police are trained quite heavily in the idea that they are not to lose control in any conflict, whether it be verbal or physical, no matter what. That losing control of any situation means their lives are put in danger. And when that happens, they are to respond with deadly force if they feel threatened in any way. How much truth is there in that statement? 

Jim, I will agree that some Cops still don't get the discipline they deserve.  But things are rapidly changing with Civilian commissions, Federal over-sight, and whistle-blower laws (and Youtube of course).  We've had at least 10 Officers terminated this calendar year, along with at least two demotions in rank that I can remember;  These are the numbers that you don't hear, because of course they are embarrassing to the Departments and Cities.  Just wait til our Chief leaves to take-over the LA Sheriff position.  He's planning to clean that house out.

You are correct in your second statement as well; we are trained/instilled with the "never-give-up" mentality.  I've been in some tussles, but you can tell the difference between someone who is trying to get away and someone who is trying to end you.  If we lose that fight, it has repercussions beyond losing just one Officer:  those weapons are now in the hands of a highly-dangerous person who will use them against the next person standing in the way, real or imagined (depending on intoxications as well).  I've been in tussles with MUCH bigger Parolees who were just trying to get away, along with the other kind.

As far as my scenario, I can't do justice to how it ends until I get back to work and can re-read my report..

I'll try to post it up tomorrow night.

I can tell you this tho-

He wasn't beaten or shot to death..

We didn't have a spit-mask..

We had a booking van and other caged-cars for transports, but they were called-away for the shootings that occurred in North LB, so we were on our own for a while..

He was somewhat-restrained once in booking..

And, I'm gonna pass on getting my handgun upholstered..

I read a couple of stories about that as well.  I get being upset but putting citizens lives in danger by not showing up for work (and the lives of those who must work longer hours to cover) doesn't seem to be the best strategy.

Agreed.

Our union juggled that decision a few years back, and realized that it does more harm than good to our bargaining-position..  Not to mention the Public safety.  

We've conceded a LOT in the years that I've been with the Department but, I live in the City and pay my own salary in taxes too..

Ok, here's the ending to the cliffhanger...

I saw and heard him spit on my partner, and immediately threw my left hand over his mouth not quite smacking him as hard as I probably should have.  This was kind of a mistake though, as he then tried to bite my hand.

That pissed me off a little, so I then reached over with both hands.  My left hand/forearm was pressing his face sideways toward me so he couldn't bite me or spit on my partner, as my right hand found some hair along with his left ear.  I pressed his head straight-down between his own legs, and leaned on him until my partner was able to open the back door and help out.  He wasn't going anywhere, with my weight on him, so my partner advised our dispatch and had our Sergeant responding (since it was now a use-of-force), along with a caged-car.

As we were holding him down, he started screaming louder than any girl I've ever heard saying, "Owww!  They're breaking my neck!  Call my mom! Let me go; I didn't do anything!"  I told him we were just preventing him from spitting and biting.  We did not have a "spit-mask."

It was a few minutes for anybody to arrive and assist, with me pressing him in-place in the backseat.  After a couple of minutes, he started calming down and was apologetic.  He apologized to my partner, and pleaded with us to let him go.  He calmed-down enough that I let him sit-up again, and I stepped out of the backseat to stretch and catch my breath.

A moment later, my partner yelled that our suspect was trying to get out of the car on his side.  I dove into the backseat, and across the seat and pulled him back into the car under his right armpit.  Now I had him laying across the backseat, and was pinning him down with both arms while telling him to stop acting crazy.  He started-up the cussing at us again, and then calmed-down soon after.  As our Sgt. was pulling-up, he started to hyperventilate to the point of seemingly losing consciousness, so we called for Fire to come check him out.  Prior to their arrival, he calmed-down again and was apologetic again.. to the point of where he was now crying and actually held-out his handcuffed hand for me to shake.  I shook his hand, and accepted his apology.  I also told him that we were transferring him to a different Police car, and that I would re-adjust his handcuffs (he was complaining about them being too tight) before he got into the new car (which I did, trying to reason with him the whole way).

He was cleared by Fire, and our Sgt. spoke to him as well, trying to calm him down and reason with him.  But, this guy was a "black-out drunk" and that wasn't going to work while he was in "Jeckyll and Hyde" mode.

We transferred him to the other car, and began to follow it to LB Jail.  About a mile down the road, the Officer turned-on his overhead lights, and quickly pulled-over to the right-side of the road.  I jumped out of our car and ran-up to the caged-car.  The Officer told me that he thinks our suspect knocked himself out by slamming his head on the safety/plexi-glass partition (three or four times).  He was slumped-over the backseat, seemingly unconscious but breathing so we called Fire out again..

The Officer told me that the suspect had been cussing him out as well, and threatening to file a complaint against us all for excessive force.  That was when he started slamming his head against the glass.  I saw no visible injuries to him.

Once again, he came-to before Fire and our Sgt. arrived again, and asked, "Where am I?"  I told him he was still in handcuffs, but in the backseat of a new Police car and sat him up again.  After a moment, he slammed his head into the glass again, so I pulled him back down across the backseat by his right arm.  The backseats of our caged-cars are hard-plastic (easier for cleaning out), and he thought it would be a good idea to try to slam his head on the seat while screaming, "**** you guys!"  I now held his head with my hands on both ears to prevent this, until Fire arrived.  When they got onscene, he screamed at them, "**** off!  Don't touch me!"  Again, our Sgt. tried to talk to him but he only cussed and screamed (my partner videotaped most of this interview).

Again, he finally calmed-down enough for us to resume our transport and I dropped him, my partner, and the transporting Officer off in Booking and went to file our arrest report.  There were several other Officers in Booking, and our suspect tried to pick fights with everybody but he was handcuffed to the Booking-bench. My partner attempted to administer a breathalyzer test, but the suspect decided it wasn't in his best interest and didn't complete it (his partial sample was a .16  .08 is DUI in California).  My partner also later told me that the suspect had urinated on himself, and thought it was hilarious.

He was handed-off to Jailers without any more incidents..