• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cops are great

Adam

I'm sure some of you remember this one..

http://sanclemente.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/deputy-xxx-in-loggins-shooting-death

Here is my theory on this nationwide phenomenon.

The vast majority of the new militarized police forces in the US, are military trained and are veterans of Iraq and Iran.

In those high pressure environments, your only friends are the people in your units, and the enemy is basically everyone else.

Those deeply rooted instincts don't go away when they come home and are hired to be your friendly local cops.

There is little to zero training in mental health, and they are not prepared for anyone that acts a little "off kilter"

Then the DA's and other people in authority over the police "forces" stand by every action taken by shoot first officers that over-react and use force when it isn't necessary...and the circle is complete...and it continues.

http://sanclemente.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/deputy-xxx-in-loggins-shooting-death

The vast majority of the new militarized police forces in the US, are military trained and are veterans of Iraq and Iran.

In those high pressure environments, your only friends are the people in your units, and the enemy is basically everyone else.

Those deeply rooted instincts don't go away when they come home and are hired to be your friendly local cops.

There is little to zero training in mental health, and they are not prepared for anyone that acts a little "off kilter"

Then the DA's and other people in authority over the police "forces" stand by every action taken by shoot first officers that over-react and use force when it isn't necessary...and the circle is complete...and it continues.

Well I already said my piece on why I think things are the way they are. I doubt the issues reside with Veterans and mental health problems.

I think it starts with the incredibly powerful Unions and Poor leadership.

Edited by Poozy

I think it starts at the top, and I agree that most cops these days are military veterans.

This was years ago so maybe policies have changed, but a friend once told me that when they shoot, they're trained to kill, not injure.  One shot to the head and chest is what he told me they're trained to do.

"Vast majority"- wrong

It's not "Us vs. them" as much as tv/movies tell you..

Military Vets go through the same psych-testing as any candidates..

Absolutely wrong.  We are trained to deal with EVERY mental-illness, including medical-issues that may look like mental-illness.

DA's are not responsive to Police/Sheriff Departments.  Much as Civilian Inquiry and other "watch-dog" Commissions are not.

You should research before spewing hate.

I generally support cops and what they do but this is ridiculous. The cop isn't being charged either. Nice job El Paso

This is not a good-shoot imo..  But, we are allowed to use the carotid-hold.  Maybe they are not.  In addition, don't even try to put yourself in the shoes of an Officer who feels his life is threatened; read the entire article.  THIS Officer felt it was his last option.

I think it starts at the top, and I agree that most cops these days are military veterans.

This was years ago so maybe policies have changed, but a friend once told me that when they shoot, they're trained to kill, not injure.  One shot to the head and chest is what he told me they're trained to do.

We are trained to stop the threat.  And yes, we are taught the "Mozambique failure drill" (two to the chest, one to the head if nec.).

You folks are watching "Training Day" waaay too much..

i still think a fair amount of cops actions are based on more aggressive criminals. 

not as an excuse for their actions so much as an explanation for why police seem more on edge these days.

This may be a fair assessment, as AB109 is releasing a lot of hardened career-criminals..  Still, we are highly-trained to deal/react to what's happening in the real world; IE react accordingly to the actual threat.

Most uses-of-force that you see on Youtube are justifiable, but they look bad because the cameras only started rolling at the end of the encounter.

This is not a good-shoot imo..  But, we are allowed to use the carotid-hold.  Maybe they are not.  In addition, don't even try to put yourself in the shoes of an Officer who feels his life is threatened; read the entire article.  THIS Officer felt it was his last option.

I don't think the force used matched the threat level. More officers may have been an option, do they have tasers? I have a hard time believing there was no other way. As a law enforcement officer I'm sure you have a good understanding of Graham V. Connor so do you think another reasonable officer would make this decision? I understand the video doesn't paint the whole picture but I think this officer is going to have a hard time articulating why he made the choice he did.

Edited by Angels N Skins

Of course you shoot to kill but the head? That's an awfully tough target to hit. I'm pretty sure nobody is trained to shoot for the head anymore.

Do you think police deceive themselves into believing a suspect or hazard is far more dangerous than reality?

They say repetition creates persuasion.  Hearing or "seeing" certain things over and over again with the help of suggestion will make people believe just about anything.  Many Angels fan were successfully persuaded that Mike Scioscia is the best manager in the American League because Rex & Steve, Terry Smith, Jose Mota, and now Gubi, have said that on the air thousands of times going back to what, 2004, maybe earlier?  I get a kick out of these UFO spotters who swear beyond a shadow of a doubt they've seen flying saucers, yet the HD cameras they use caught saw nothing of the sort.  Very possibly a vivid imagination or just textbook self-deception going on there. 

The point being that people see and believe what they want to see and believe, and the police are no exception.  I don't think it's necessarily malicious either.  The brain does weird crap under stressful circumstances. 

No knocks are one of the dumbest things police forces do. Breaking into a home late at night with what is effectively a military unit is just asking for mistakes like this to happen. It doesn't help that these guys were a bunch of cowboy assholes either.

Edited by Don Tomlinson

for some teenage meth dealer. 

Really is pretty horrible.  These things are exactly what the Constitution was created to keep from happening.

But departments will keep on doing it, claim their officers are well-trained (which they may be, but that doesn't mean perfect), and remind you that they're getting dangerous drugs off the street. It's an argument I just can't stand. Fighting a war on drugs from the supply side is absolutely futile, and they put people (including the officers) in danger to perform these futile acts.

Of course you shoot to kill but the head? That's an awfully tough target to hit. I'm pretty sure nobody is trained to shoot for the head anymore.

When I have to fire for qualifications, they have us shoot 2 to the chest and one to the head.

If I ever have to shoot someone I would most likely shoot center mass, however there are curtain situations where you would have to shoot for the head. If someone is on drugs, sometimes shooting the chest wont stop the individual. Also, if someone is wearing kevlar and/or plates, it would make sense to shoot a couple to the head for confirmation.

Edited by Poozy