• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cops are great

Adam

Not sure if this belongs here, technically it does:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/n-h-police-commissioner-calls-president-obama-n-word-won-apologize-resign-article-1.1794249

This is from the town I was born and grew up in. I thought it was pretty funny.

tl;dr version: Old white police commissioner calls Obama the N word in a restaurant, gets overheard, person complains, commissioner refuses to apologize.

I'm sorry, but "PC" America is out of control.

Even C-SPAN was too scared to say anything!!!  Double standard lives on.....

We shouldn't be quick to jump to judgement on that one though. I, for one, am going to wait for the connected parties to complete an investigation before I comment. After all, we don't know what happened. There are a lot of variables. Like maybe he was already dead before they proceeded to pull him over and beat him viciously for a missing front license plate. We just don't know.

Very sad. The guy is in two of the most hellish places on earth and survives both only to die in his own country. Who would have thought (in this situation) that the constant threat of an IED was less dangerous than a routine stop?

Edited by Kevin

Poozy?

I was and still am a cop in the Air Force and have thought about going Sheriffs or border patrol. I'm obviously not like a lot of these civilian cops who are power obsessed bullies. Most of the people I have met throughout the military who plan to become civilian cops are great guys looking to help people.

Maybe the good ones end up getting weeded out once they realize things are different.

Obviously military cops are held to far greater standards compared to civilian cops. 

The leadership definitely seems to be dysfunctional.

Of course I'm not going to defend what the cops did in that article. Doesn't make any sense. No clue how they can justify what they did.

I still stand by my opinion that most cops aren't bad people, but I admit to being biased.

Edited by Poozy

No doubt that most cops are good people. I've met several in my life that were caring people looking to help others. And I appreciate those people for what they do. I am, however, bothered by the legal protection that bad cops receive. If you empty a clip into the wrong vehicle, it shouldn't result in a firing. That's a criminal act and should be prosecuted regardless of your job. If you beat someone to death because you're frustrated by their actions you should be prosecuted for murder. All I want is for cops, who are generally good people, to be held to the same standards as the people they serve.

No doubt that most cops are good people. I've met several in my life that were caring people looking to help others. And I appreciate those people for what they do. I am, however, bothered by the legal protection that bad cops receive. If you empty a clip into the wrong vehicle, it shouldn't result in a firing. That's a criminal act and should be prosecuted regardless of your job. If you beat someone to death because you're frustrated by their actions you should be prosecuted for murder. All I want is for cops, who are generally good people, to be held to the same standards as the people they serve.

agreed completely. 

The unions are probably one of the main reasons why cops can and do get away with murder. If you **** up in the military, you don't have the unions to protect you.

Another reason why military cops probably differ from civilian cops is if someone in the military ****s up(DUI, falls asleep on shift, fraternization, drugs, failing fitness tests ext), everyone in the squadron/flight is held accountable for that one individuals screw up.

They can and do make you come in on your off days, pt you, make your job more difficult... ext..

Not only will getting in trouble hurt yourself, but it will also hurt your peers.

My previous squadron at malmstrom afb failed their inspection last year. 

This is obviously a big deal because they are guarding nukes.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20130819/NEWS/308130023/Malmstrom-nuclear-missile-wing-fails-inspection

What basically happened is the commander and the chief both got fired and the airmen lost most of their off days for the next 3 months up until the reevaluation.

Edited by Poozy

Here's a beautiful perspective from a cop that posted on reddit. Hopefully it'll open your eyes a little bit on what they have to go through on a daily basis.

Yes and no.

Everyone surrounds themselves predominantly with people they like; it's called having friends. Not so much when you're at work. You get on with some people, less so with others. But those you don't like? You know, Steve from marketing. You can't stand his face. Steve is a dick.

When you work in the police, you're constantly put into situations with people you will not like. It's the nature of the job, in that the only reason we're dealing with someone is because someone has done something wrong. We deal with the stressed victim, the outraged suspect, the camera-phone commentator, the abusive drunk, the remorseless criminal.

And you will hate some of them.

The victim who called you in the first place, who refuses to give a 10 minute statement, expects hours of your time, who tells you you're useless and unprofessional. You try and sympathise with their situation, but you're only human.

The suspect stopped on the street; he doesn't care that he matches the description of a mugging nearby, he shouts and screams at you, demanding names and shoulder numbers, claiming you'll be out of your job within the week.

The man with the camera-phone in hand, screaming police brutality as you restrain a stabbing suspect. No regard for who, what and why, he hates the police, he hates you, and he wants proof that he's right in doing so.

The man, who after 12 pints and a brawl, has been arrested for drunk and disorderly. He demands an explanation of how he's being disorderly, before calling you a piece of shit and threatening to kill you the second his cuffs come off, without even taking a breath.

And of course, those specimens of society whose actions stay in your thoughts for days. Any officer loves telling their civvy mates a good story, with all the excitement and danger. But there's stories you don't tell. There's an ugly side to the world, and sometimes we're unfortunate enough to get an eyeful.

So yes, we hate people. We are spat on and screamed at and abused and threatened and attacked, all by the same public we signed up to protect.

But that isn't everyone.

I didn't mention the victim who emailed your sergeant, commending you despite not recovering their stolen bike. The bloke who's out drinking with his mates, but stops for a second to thank you for what you do. There's the nervous but friendly suspect you've just arrested for possession, who you sneak a cigarette with in the yard before booking into custody. And there's the cute young lady on a night out who asks to wear your hat.

The odds are stacked against us. We are the police, ultimately we are here to fight crime. Shockingly, the people involved in crime are often easy to hate. But in my opinion, there's just enough exceptions to the rule to at least keep me sane.

Edit/Response

I just want to make a point or two with regards to my reference to bystanders filming police, which has angered a few people. My point was not that the act of filming our actions was the issue, but rather the predatory attitude that can come with it. To have someone who you have never met before film you, with the express intent of making you lose your job, is incredibly demoralizing. I believe that video is one of the most powerful forms of evidence, and I have no qualms with the act of filming police activity. It is the heckling and abuse that it is sometimes accompanied by that I detest.

I appreciate the effort of everyone who's been commenting, it never hurts to hear another viewpoint, whether you agree or not. And "****ing pig" made me feel quite at home :)

While I'm at it I'd also like to say thanks for the kind words (and gold) sent my way. I didn't expect such a supportive response. It means a lot to me and is very much appreciate

http://www.reddit.com/r/ProtectAndServe/comments/26hg89/serious_questionnot_trolling_does_being_a_police/chr6qeb

Edited by Poozy

Bottom line for me is if cops don't want us judging them they need to do a better job of policing themselves. They didn't get the reputation for being clannish thugs and jackboots from nowhere. Im a middle class white male and I can't remember one single interaction with police that didn't leave me distrustful and disdainful. This includes military,city, rural, East, west or in between.

Bottom line for me is if cops don't want us judging them they need to do a better job of policing themselves.

this is the f'n truth.

many cops think they're above the law, they are the law. Too many judge dredd wannabes out there, running around like they're badasses and everyone else is scum beneath their boots. Yeah, there are good ones. I've dealt with and encountered some very good officers who are courteous and out to help rather than crack skulls and "see some action.". But unfortunately they seem to be the minority

It's so strange. I have never had a bad experience with a cop not a single one. Granted I'm a white guy and lived a clean life but never a bad interaction. I've been pulled over several times and not once was I not guilty when I was pulled over of doing something wrong, usually speeding. I treat them with respect and that's what I get back. I've had to call the cops out to my work a couple times a year for the 15 years I was managing and they always did their job. I guess I'm lucky because I've never been a victim of a real crime and I've never been in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's just my experience is that if you treat them with respect that's usually what you get in return as with most other walks of life.

http://news.yahoo.com/tough-guy-public-schools-cop-shoots-fleeing-kids-165027887.html

This is the sort of thing I was referring to a page or so back. This cop sees teens in a car, he approaches, and they drive away. Proper solution: Write down the plate number and a description, then phone it in. His solution: Fire at the car as it leaves.

I'm guessing this guy will be suspended, maybe demoted, and possibly even fired. But what would happen if a non-cop did this? I'm thinking unlawful/negligent discharge of a firearm at the very least. Maybe reckless endangerment? Maybe attempted manslaughter? Just saying that I'm hoping this is treated like the criminal act that it is.

http://news.yahoo.com/tough-guy-public-schools-cop-shoots-fleeing-kids-165027887.html

This is the sort of thing I was referring to a page or so back. This cop sees teens in a car, he approaches, and they drive away. Proper solution: Write down the plate number and a description, then phone it in. His solution: Fire at the car as it leaves.

I'm guessing this guy will be suspended, maybe demoted, and possibly even fired. But what would happen if a non-cop did this? I'm thinking unlawful/negligent discharge of a firearm at the very least. Maybe reckless endangerment? Maybe attempted manslaughter? Just saying that I'm hoping this is treated like the criminal act that it is.

But the cop was CLEET certified, so its all good.

It's so strange. I have never had a bad experience with a cop not a single one. Granted I'm a white guy and lived a clean life but never a bad interaction. I've been pulled over several times and not once was I not guilty when I was pulled over of doing something wrong, usually speeding. I treat them with respect and that's what I get back. I've had to call the cops out to my work a couple times a year for the 15 years I was managing and they always did their job. I guess I'm lucky because I've never been a victim of a real crime and I've never been in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's just my experience is that if you treat them with respect that's usually what you get in return as with most other walks of life.

Narc