• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shin-Soo Choo Reaches Seven-Year Deal With Rangers

gotbeer

Has it not been said a million times that his japanese team wont post him? why do i keep reading these posts.

They've gone back and forth at least 5 times now.

I'm not believing anything that comes out of there until I actually see a direct quote from Tanaka or an official statement saying he is or isn't posted.

Some gems from 

Ranger fans are lit up and all over Dan Szymborski's twitter over his ZIPs projections for Choo, and the likelihood of his playing to his contract.

Funny to see someone other than Angels fans defending a signing for change.   https://twitter.com/DSzymborski

"In straight dollars, ZiPS evaluates Choo deal as 3rd worst in MLB history at time of signing, behind A-Rod 2, Howard, just ahead Werth."

"ZiPS has Choo at 3.1, 2.8, 2.5, 2.0, 1.5, 0.6, -0.2."

Ouch.

Some gems from 

"In straight dollars, ZiPS evaluates Choo deal as 3rd worst in MLB history at time of signing, behind A-Rod 2, Howard, just ahead Werth."

"ZiPS has Choo at 3.1, 2.8, 2.5, 2.0, 1.5, 0.6, -0.2."

Ouch.

Yeah -- LOL, that one sent people over the edge.   

Tell you what I like.  In Calhoun, we basically have a Choo-lite.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Heyman's on MLB Network right now saying Tex has a great rapport with Boras. Apparently Daniels and Washington both flew out to Newport to meet with Choo before the winter meetings.

FWIW

The entire top of their order is made up of Boras clients.   Choo 130 mil, Andrus 120 mil, Beltre 80 mil, Fielder 214 mil...   

I don't have a problem with those projections because they're unfavorable. I have a problem with them because they're futile. Dan Szymborski likes to spit numbers out of a computer but a more intuitive approach would be to simply assess trends over the course of a few years. Anyone could look at a player's gradually declining numbers and think to himself, "That player might not be good next year." 

It sucks that he went to an AL West team, but I'm not going to lose sleep over this like some of you.

You still have to play the games and after two seasons in a row in which the Angels won a paper championship heading into the season, I'm done with predictions and over optimism. I think the Angels as of right now have a solid team and if they add another arm like Garza or someone close to Vargas, they'll be REALLY good.

That said, it all boils down to the if the Angels get off to a good start. If they do, I believe they'll be fine and in a good spot to compete all season long. I think that's all we can ask for as fans and what we should look toward.

It sucks that he went to an AL West team, but I'm not going to lose sleep over this like some of you.

You still have to play the games and after two seasons in a row in which the Angels won a paper championship heading into the season, I'm done with predictions and over optimism. I think the Angels as of right now have a solid team and if they add another arm like Garza or someone close to Vargas, I'll be really satisfied.

I think if the Angels get off to a good start, they'll be fine and in a good spot to compete all season long. I think that's all we should look toward.

yah.  getting off to a good start next year would be great. 

Think of this though, Hamilton is getting similar money for two less seasons.

Exactly. I don't think it's a horrible deal. This move makes the rangers lineup definitely more potent than the angels imo.

At the same time, the Angels have so many question marks(Hamitlon and Pujols), who knows how things will play out.

The fact that the rangers also have a nice farm system to go along with Profar, who could be a superstar, is scary. They're built to win now and in the future.

Edited by Poozy

And they are making an absolute mockery out of baseball in how it is being handled!

I think they are absolutely doing it on purpose.  It's a passive aggressive FU. 

I have no idea about the economics of Japanese baseball, but if they don't post him, they are likely to pay him around 7mil it sounds so the delta is around 27mil+ if they don't post him.  But they do have 2 more years of control so they could do it next year.  20mil is a lot to gamble on whether a guy stays healthy. 

I think they are gonna post him, but I think they are gonna do it at the last possible moment. 

up until last year, hamilton had been the far better player. he tanked last year, it has happened before. we'll see how he plays, but i think he's going to have a big rebound season.

Really dude? Just look at the numbers. They both bring different things of value to the table. Josh Hamilton had one fluke year and was definitely aided by playing in texas.

He may be overrated, but he absolutely destroys Jered Weaver.

Corrected.  At least, the stats say so:

Choo has batted against Jered Weaver 34 times.  He is 14 for 31 (.452) with 6 doubles, 1 walk and 4 strikeouts.  (2 HBP).

CJ Wilson and Hector Santiago, both left-handers, have faced Choo 24 times.  Choo is 3 for 21 (.143) with 1 homerun, 1 walk, and 8 strikeouts.  (2 HBP by Wilson as well)

Choo's splits last year:

vs. Right:  .317/.457/.554/1.011

vs. Left:    .215/.347/.265/.612

All of that being said, I think the Rangers have a few right-handed hitters in their lineup to counter our lefties.  Interesting lineup.

Edited by rick99gtp