• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Raul Ibanez heading to Angels

Scott34

You'd be shocked if a guy who has put up an OPS above .700 and hit more than 10 homeruns in every year since 2001 does those things again in 2014?

Ok.

It's called "keeping expectations low."  It's why my girlfriend thinks I'm a good lover.  

Since this luxury tax seems to be such a huge deal to the Angels, don't they have to leave some room for performance bonuses? If they were to sign a pitcher for just under the luxury tax, wouldn't they still have to dump some salary to make sure there's room in case Ibanez, and many of the other veterans, hit their performace bonus targets?

Bill Shaikin ‏@BillShaikin 7h

Ibanez career in Anaheim: .349/.407/.522, with 10 HR in 70 games. #Angels

This reference has gotten old.  I think it was Rosenthal that even claimed that's why the Angels were interested... or something to that effect.  I trust that Dipoto doesn't care how he's done in Anaheim.  He was a much better hitter when he was putting up big numbers at Angel Stadium.

2013 - 7 games, 31 PA

2012 - 3 games, 11 PA

2011 - 0 games

2010 - 0 games

2009 - 0 games

He's hit very well against Jered Weaver, John Lackey, and Ervin Santana.  Good news is he'll still get to face two of em, but his numbers in Anaheim may be skewed because he's generally had favorable matchups against the Angels. 

I'm kind of with xboom on this.

I won't be shocked to see him fall face first. Those doubting its possible because of his past need look no further than hamilton and pujols. With ibanez of course being much older.

That said, due to the contract length and guaranteed money, its peanuts to what he could do.

If he can hit 15 home runs, get on base at a league average clip and be a solid bench option, its not a bad signing at all. If he does all that with 20 home runs (which is very possible), its a very good signing.

Since this luxury tax seems to be such a huge deal to the Angels, don't they have to leave some room for performance bonuses? If they were to sign a pitcher for just under the luxury tax, wouldn't they still have to dump some salary to make sure there's room in case Ibanez, and many of the other veterans, hit their performace bonus targets?

I can see them trading someone like Jepson at the end of spring training to get under tax.

Its just cool to have someone that is almost my age on the team.

Heard that, Strad! I find myself also referring to him as 'old', even though I was 3 when he was born. Another plus for me is that Raul is a huge Rush fan..I saw that one year at Safeco on the scoreboard. He better have 'Limelight' as his walkup tune...

Edited by RenoHalo

To interject something about Ibanez's second half. He had inconsistent playing time and when he did play it was mostly in the OF. It is reasonable to assume that being forced to play the OF negatively effected his body and could have contributed to his decline in production. It is further possible that his body couldn't withstand the wear and tear of a full season, especially experiencing the pounding of playing the field. This may be why his first half was better than his second half.