• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

More Trouble at the Ravine

Lifetime

Hanleys been bigger for them than puig. And he's having the best year (by far) in his last 5 years....

Its not puig. Hes one part of it.

You're 100% correct ... Hanley played a huge role in the Dodgers turnout this season ... but Puig was the adrenaline shot needed to get things started. Dodger pitching is the key to their success. Having a one two punch of Kershaw and Greinke gives them a legit shot into the WS.

According to Puig it was caused by him being fatigued. This has been about Puig's attitude and behavior because that has been an ongoing issue with him. 

Why are you so worried about Puig and the Dodgers? I think the Dodgers are ok with there situation regarding Puig. They're looking forward to playing him this weekend.

Moutain meet Molehill

Edited by Troll Daddy

I'm not "so worried"  but obviously Mattingly was concerned enough to yank him in the middle of the game followed by a closed door meeting with Mattingly and the GM. His antics are well publicized. This is an ongoing issue with Puig. But I'm not worried about it. 

Edited by Geoff Stoddart

I read and participated in that thread. I am well aware of what was reportedly said by Hunter in the heat of the moment. I am also aware of the conclusions that many drew from that and the tangents that insued. In my opinion, those conclusions are highly exaggerated. 

Kevin,

I know the link, and I believe its pretty accurate (at least seems to be). That said, it is still hearsay.

Pujols is also at a difderent time in his career. While I'm sure he wants to win, he's also the media target for performance. If we go 10-0, and he goes 1-50, that will be a story. If we go 0-10, and he goes 20/50, the media won't point it out. I think that's a major part.

I doubt puig is some selfless player though. Hes got a chip on his shoulder (which may be a good thing performance wise), and is acting like it on and off the field.

I mentioned mondesi earlier....give puig time....

I read and participated in that thread. I am well aware of what was reportedly said by Hunter in the heat of the moment. I am also aware of the conclusions that many drew from that and the tangents that insued. In my opinion, those conclusions are highly exaggerated. 

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I will disagree with your conclusion that it was just a heat of the moment thing. I think that it probably was festering for a long time and probably didn't sit well with Hunter or the rest of his teammates either that Pujols would sit and sulk even when winning when he wouldn't get a hit.

Kevin,

I know the link, and I believe its pretty accurate (at least seems to be). That said, it is still hearsay.

Pujols is also at a difderent time in his career. While I'm sure he wants to win, he's also the media target for performance. If we go 10-0, and he goes 1-50, that will be a story. If we go 0-10, and he goes 20/50, the media won't point it out. I think that's a major part.

I doubt puig is some selfless player though. Hes got a chip on his shoulder (which may be a good thing performance wise), and is acting like it on and off the field.

I mentioned mondesi earlier....give puig time....

I think Puig is a firey guy and probably very ego centric. Pujols comes across as the same just not fiery and hasn't really seemed that passionate about the game from even the time he got up here. He looks very business like and kind of a jerk from when you hear about him getting interviewed even in St Louis. I don't know about the different time in his career. I just think this is the kind of player he has always been. I don't think the Angels are bad because of his personality. I just think he clashes more with different teams than others. 

Mondesi never really came around thiugh. 

As for Pujols, he just signed one of the largest contracts in MLB history and there was a rather large expectation for what he would bring to the table. He wasn't getting it done at the time so ya, he's going to be a little extra focused on his own performance whether the team is winning or not. 

"I talk to him like I talk to my kids, honestly," Mattingly said after emerging from a 40-minute media lockout. "I try to be honest and represent the whole ballclub with the decisions I make and I feel, in a sense, it was in the best interests of the team."

"I felt the meeting went well," Puig said through an interpreter. "We talked about what I and every player needs to do to prepare for every pitch. I thought it was a good meeting. If I'm in the lineup on Friday, I will make sure to give 100 percent. If not, I will prepare to make sure I'm ready when my turn comes."

Mattingly said he didn't think this had to become a "monster issue," and he expected Puig to be back in the lineup when play resumes Friday night. "We're here to win, and Yasiel is a great player who gives us the best chance to win on a daily basis," Mattingly said.

mlb.com

He's 22 with an attitude and he's hitting .346 with a .963 OPS. We have a 33 year old guy that pouts when he doesn't get a hit even if we win. Same thing.*

*According to a second-hand quote from Torii Hunter that took place when Hunter was emotional.

There definitely is trouble at the Ravine.

While it won't go over well on a board like this, the real trouble is that I think I'm now a full-blooded Doyer fan.

Never ever ever in a million years did I think this was possible.  I've been heads down into NFL the last couple months, preparing for the season, fantasy drafts for leagues, etc.

The play of the Angels has all but left baseball 3rd behind the NFL and NBA for me last few seasons - though I'm very active in all three.

I got caught up in watching every inning of their games since Puig and their energy surge, and sadly (or incredibly), it's the most fun I think I've had following baseball since 2002.

At first I was entirely conflicted.  

But I couldn't deny the fun I was having and most of my friends and family (many on wife's side have really nice season seats) are Doyer fans, so instead of arguing with them...I finally just started enjoying it.  And REALLY have had fun watching baseball.

I have a mancrush on Mattingly and LOVE how he actually manages the team.   What he did to Puig almost seemed unthinkable after watching Scioscia for so long.  I forgot that can actually happen.

I'll always love the Angels but it's nice now to have another local team I can enjoy.

So yeah, there is trouble in the Ravine.  I have to find time to fit in Doyer games with drafts this weekend :(

I know most on here can't stomach the idea of being fans of both teams, but the few that are and probably aren't vocal about it on an Angel fan site are in baseball heaven right now.

Sometimes it's ok to just enjoy something and not fight it.  :)