• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Perry is a very not good GM

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok. I haven’t come at you personally multiple times in this thread. Not all of your opinions are stat based and the ones that aren’t are you making wild assumptions that I think are ridiculous, that makes you uncomfortable. 

I don't do this internet points arguing and posturing stuff. I'm just going to leave you alone from here on out.

Just now, samwum said:

I don't do this internet points arguing and posturing stuff. I'm just going to leave you alone from here on out.

Ok. So make a false claim, get told you are wrong, then be a victim. You should probably ignore me. 

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok. So make a false claim, get told you are wrong, then be a victim. You should probably ignore me. 

Dude, get out of here. 2 starts don't make Tyler Anderson better than Zach Eflin. You are literally acting insane. Take a walk or something.

8 minutes ago, samwum said:

I don't think its a different bar. For 3 years leading up to free agency Zach Eflin had signifcantly stronger underlyings and peripherals than Tyler Anderson. Perry flat out got duped by Anderson's shiny ERA, ignored the underlying stats, and made a very poor decision. Now the Rays have an ace, and the Angels have one of the most overpaid #5 SPs in the league. These things flat out cannot happen if we want to the Halos to compete for the World Series. We cannot be the suckers at the table.

The Anderson deal is not the hill to die on. FG has him at 1.6 war as an Angel. His total salary should buy you around 4 wins on the FA market. He's on track. 

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

The Anderson deal is not the hill to die on. FG has him at 1.6 war as an Angel. His total salary should buy you around 4 wins on the FA market. He's on track. 

He’s also assuming the Angels could sign Efflin for that same contract. 

14 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Fair enough. Agree to disagree.

1 hour ago, samwum said:

Maybe I just can't wrap my head around signing a pitcher to a 3yr/$36mm deal without expecting them to be a significant contributor. 

2022 Starting pitchers

Yankees signed Rondon for 6 years $190 million and got 14 games with a 6.85 era last year. His history previous to 2020 was poor, at best. 

Texas signed Jacob deGrom to a 5 year $220 million dollar deal. They got 6 games for $30 million. His history was injury riddled with the Mets. 

Minasian could have done worse than Tyler Anderson. 

11 minutes ago, Blarg said:

2022 Starting pitchers

Yankees signed Rondon for 6 years $190 million and got 14 games with a 6.85 era last year. His history previous to 2020 was poor, at best. 

Texas signed Jacob deGrom to a 5 year $220 million dollar deal. They got 6 games for $30 million. His history was injury riddled with the Mets. 

Minasian could have done worse than Tyler Anderson. 

I mean I'd probably rather have one of the best pitchers in the league than one of the worst, but sure, whatever.

Anderson topic beaten to hell in this thread -- not going to change my mind and happy to agree to disagree. A blip on the radar of Minasian incompetencies IMO.

I feel like Perry has made some mistakes as the OP pointed out. I may not agree with all of his points but the one thing I will say Is I like what Perry is trying to do inside the foundation of the team, scouting, development, ect ect. I finally think we have a GM that is not a yes man totally to Arte such as the lets get Trea Turner and him stearing Arte away from that. Is he perfect no is he way better then what we have had in the last 10 years 15 years hell yes. Could there be someone better out there somewhere maybe but would that person be willing to deal with Atre? I doubt it. Final point does anyone think that if Perry was let go from the Angels that he wouldnt get picked up somewhere else ? he 100% does in my opinion. He has done aswell as can be expected within the limits he is set up with. Again my opinion. 

11 hours ago, Stradling said:

Nor does a bad year mean Anderson can’t pitch up to his contract. 

Sigh.

I was pretty against signing him when they did. I've also said repeatedly he doesn't need to do what he did with the Dodgers to hold value.  The notion that he can't pitch to his contract is inane -- the dude is only making 13 mil per.  Since Fangraphs has been brought up often in this thread, FG put the value of a win at roughly 8.5 mil the last time they looked at it in 2022, https://blogs.fangraphs.com/what-are-teams-paying-per-war-in-free-agency/. With the cost at 8.5 a player need only be worth 1.5 fWAR to live up to his contract.  So basically if he puts up 3 fWAR combined this year and next he would have surpassed the value of his contract.

He was crap last year.  If he gives them innings and posts a 4.5 ERA this year he'll be valuable enough.

12 hours ago, samwum said:

Maybe I just can't wrap my head around signing a pitcher to a 3yr/$36mm deal without expecting them to be a significant contributor. 

Likewise my mom can't wrap her head around the costs of new homes today considering what my parents paid for their place in Anaheim Hills back in 82. 

Anderson's deal 3yr/39mm was pretty much in line with what you'd expect to pay a middle to back end innings eater.  Giolito got 2yrs/38.5 mil deal after putting up a 4.89 ERA over 346 innings in 2022-23, a two year gap where his actual output amounted to 22.4mm in actual value using FG's fWAR baseline.

If you want to use an example of a pitcher that didn't suck.  Sonny Gray got 3/yrs/75mm after a 3 year run where he produced 10.2 fWAR (5.3 of that total in his walk year) valued at 80.9 mil over that span by FGs,