• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Perry is a very not good GM

Maybe not an exact thread for the subject, but Perry has to work within the parameters that Arte sets. And Arte is not popular in baseball.  Speaking of ownership and management, this again is not very flattering regarding Arte. 

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2024-04-10/rod-carew-angels-arte-moreno

I still think of Carew primarily as a Twin and not really a core Angel icon though he certainly was a great player. Same with many of their former big name acquisitions who were long time greats on other teams. 

6 hours ago, Jason said:

Serious question, do you think the pitching staff, as assembled, is good enough for them to be competitive?

It's too early to say with any real certainty.   Right now the pitching staff is probably good enough to be competitive 4 out of 7 days a week, so like 3 out of 5/6 games.  I have ZERO faith in guys like Luis Garcia -- that move made no sense to me when guys like Ryne Stanek were available for pennies -- I get the fascination with velocity but that guy has been mediocre a long time.

Detmers isn't going to stay where he is -- neither is Anderson.  Thing is, Canning is notoriously bad in April so, he likely goes the other way.  Sandoval needs to go see Mike Witt's hypnotist but his predictive data is much much better than his ERA. Silseth will continue to be a twice through the lineup then pray guy until he gets another offering to switch things up with -- he's a work in progress.  

I didn't see the game yesterday, looks like Soriano had some adventures in the first but otherwise pitched well.  Silseth/Soriano gives them hope they find a serviceable 5th SP.

I have more concerns about the offense to be honest, simply because they have pitchers in the minors I like and who I believe likely outperform some of the guys on currently at the MLB level.  I can't say the same about the hitters down there -- but it's early and the weather has been pretty ugly.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Serious question, do you think the pitching staff, as assembled, is good enough for them to be competitive?

Yes.

Do I think they *will* be competitive? That's a lot more questionable. But the potential is there, especially with better coaching. There's no ace, other than maybe Detmers (#1 upside is possible, per Keith Law), but their top five all have the ability to keep them in games. My issue is we needed another arm for depth, because otherwise we're stuck with Soriano as our #6, which is...not exactly inspiring. Not like it would've cost much to bring in Lorenzen, but f'n Arte.

On 4/10/2024 at 9:17 AM, Blarg said:

Every GM knows he will be fired or moved up the management chain. In the Angels organization there is no VP of Baseball Operations and that makes being a GM a more volatile position and forces them to cater to the owner moreso than other clubs. You could say being the GM of the Angels is the hardest job in baseball.

Grading Minasian's work is, as @Inside Pitch mentioned, a balance between what he can or can't do through Moreno's ownership. And those grades really require at least five years to see if what he is doing creates a long term organizational stability or a continuation of the last ten years of driving all success through free agency acquisitions instead of drafting and development. 

Eppler got the ball rolling, there is Fletcher, Walsh, Ohtani, Thaiss, Marsh, Adell and Rengifo in trade. But all of those guys are years apart in development, Ohtani being the unicorn. 

Minasian boosted that group through draft and trade getting O'Hoppe, Neto, Moniak, and Schanuel. And they are playing and developing under the best coaching staff since Scioscia's group. The results may take time to see if Minasian hit big on the lottery or got a few scratcher payouts to buy more tickets.

Minasian is working hard to rebuild internally with some decent draft pick positions and put the brakes on wasting them on free agency, making some other team stronger through our draft picks. Is he successful? Ask me in 2026 because that's a five plus one time frame where the team should be complete and competitive.  If they are not then you can say Minasian failed. 

100% spot on!

The position for the Angels is just a stepping stone for new GMs to get their feet wet. They do their time then move on to bigger and better things.

Has it already been 5 years for perry? dang. Probably his last year yea?

On 4/10/2024 at 7:31 PM, samwum said:

Thanks.

Yeah I should probably watch my tone a bit too, I'm not here to lecture or actually "argue" with anyone (because I'm always right). Just get frustrated that people can't connect the dots between Minasian's incompetence and the team's performance. 

Most legacy posters don't want to connect the dots.   Prefer to FLAME anyone who points out that the "emperor has no clothes".  

On 4/9/2024 at 7:54 PM, samwum said:

I don't appreciate how you have come after me personally multiple times in this thread because I've posted statistically backed things which may be uncomfortable for you. I'm not sure how you got to be a Mod here -- but you should aspire to act a lot more like Chuck.

The dude is an Angels apologist.  He can't handle any negative comment or judgement against the team.  Anyone who does, he has to constantly go after them.  No objectivity.  Weak individual but that's his choice.  

50 minutes ago, Angels in 2030 said:

The dude is an Angels apologist.  He can't handle any negative comment or judgement against the team.  Anyone who does, he has to constantly go after them.  No objectivity.  Weak individual but that's his choice.  

yea, that’s it.  I am very objective, I just don’t make shit up and that hurts some peoples weak feelings.  

8 hours ago, NrM said:

The position for the Angels is just a stepping stone for new GMs to get their feet wet. They do their time then move on to bigger and better things.

Yeah, Tony Reagins is really thriving as *checks notes* Chief Baseball Development Officer for MLB.

And Billy Eppler is *checks notes* suspended by MLB.

2 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

Most legacy posters don't want to connect the dots.   Prefer to FLAME anyone who points out that the "emperor has no clothes".  

This is an overly broad generalization, but there is definitely a kernel of truth there. I’ve been around on this site for a long time, generally on the periphery. There are definitely users who get very defensive when negative critiques of the Angels are presented. I also agree that some users will go beyond disagreeing on a point, and insult the other person as well, which is unnecessary. A good argument will be able to stand on its own merits.

38 minutes ago, BTH said:

Yeah, Tony Reagins is really thriving as *checks notes* Chief Baseball Development Officer for MLB.

And Billy Eppler is *checks notes* suspended by MLB.

You can also include Dipoto quitting midseason.  I don’t this is a great point for the Angels, though. It definitely speaks to the quality of executive that the team hired since Stoneman stepped down. It has also been reported by local press that the Angels GM job is not very attractive to experienced GMs.

43 minutes ago, Jeremiah said:

It has also been reported by local press that the Angels GM job is not very attractive to experienced GMs.

Yeah, this is the problem

And the smart execs know that this is a tough job to take with the ownership in place.

4 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

Lou was right about Nevin, Emperor Swordsman. 

1 hour ago, Jeremiah said:

This is an overly broad generalization, but there is definitely a kernel of truth there. I’ve been around on this site for a long time, generally on the periphery. There are definitely users who get very defensive when negative critiques of the Angels are presented. I also agree that some users will go beyond disagreeing on a point, and insult the other person as well, which is unnecessary. A good argument will be able to stand on its own merits.

It's an unbecoming culture perpetuated by a few mods and their acolytes.

Edited by Swordsman78