• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Perry is a very not good GM

2 hours ago, Jason said:

He has had very little success during his time in Anaheim. The same goes for the ones before him. I’m more inclined to believe this is an Arte problem 

That’s a definite.  A lot of that goes back to his appointment of Reagins and the subsequent choice of Reagins over Eddie Bane in that particular personality struggle. Firing Bane was a huge error that has probably cost us a lot in terms of the prospect quality. Arte has since then brought in inexperienced GMs who have variously had power struggles with field management, or the owner, and could never get on the same page to create a vision and a culture. That is an organizational disaster. Similarly to his predecessors, Perry cannot get Arte to get out of his own way. Perry doesn’t have the experience or the reputation to tell Arte when to butt out, so you have the multiple failures to move Ohtani after failing to put a quality team around him and Trout, the subsequent trades that gutted an already meh farm system in order entice Ohtani to stay, and an apparent lack of a vision for the long-term future of this organization. You can say that maybe that’s changed this year, but has it? $33M to a middle reliever never made sense. The lack of IF depth is a bit concerning. Wash is a great manager that a lot of people here used to clown regularly, but he’s also 72. How long does he want to rebuild an MLB club? I think there are still way more questions than answers. The team has always played things close to the vest, and that’s their prerogative. With that, however, will come questions about what the organization is doing. When HOU, CHC, and TB we’re losing with a purpose, they were up front about it. If the Angels are now in a similar phase, don’t tell us you’re, “Running the AL West down.” So, yeah, Perry isn’t very good yet. Arte likely won’t stick with him long enough to become a good GM here.

5 hours ago, Jeremiah said:

That’s a definite.  A lot of that goes back to his appointment of Reagins and the subsequent choice of Reagins over Eddie Bane in that particular personality struggle. Firing Bane was a huge error that has probably cost us a lot in terms of the prospect quality. Arte has since then brought in inexperienced GMs who have variously had power struggles with field management, or the owner, and could never get on the same page to create a vision and a culture. That is an organizational disaster. Similarly to his predecessors, Perry cannot get Arte to get out of his own way. Perry doesn’t have the experience or the reputation to tell Arte when to butt out, so you have the multiple failures to move Ohtani after failing to put a quality team around him and Trout, the subsequent trades that gutted an already meh farm system in order entice Ohtani to stay, and an apparent lack of a vision for the long-term future of this organization. You can say that maybe that’s changed this year, but has it? $33M to a middle reliever never made sense. The lack of IF depth is a bit concerning. Wash is a great manager that a lot of people here used to clown regularly, but he’s also 72. How long does he want to rebuild an MLB club? I think there are still way more questions than answers. The team has always played things close to the vest, and that’s their prerogative. With that, however, will come questions about what the organization is doing. When HOU, CHC, and TB we’re losing with a purpose, they were up front about it. If the Angels are now in a similar phase, don’t tell us you’re, “Running the AL West down.” So, yeah, Perry isn’t very good yet. Arte likely won’t stick with him long enough to become a good GM here.

Nah, Perry is not a good GM and Arte is not a good owner. It's not one or the other. It's both.

8 hours ago, T.G. said:

Funny that no one has commented on the title of this thread...

Perry is a very not good GM

I think I've pointed out enough of the ShamWow guy's errors and gave him a pass.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Is it even possible that Minasian has had a lot of restraints placed in him by Arte? 

Of course he’s had restraints, but Perry has made poor decisions when he has been given the freedom to make his own decisions.

It’s only fair to judge Perry on the things he is controlling, which is why I‘m not gonna blame him for things like the team only spending $30M this offseason or not trading Ohtani.

Perry’s drafts, player development, and free agent signings have been poor overall.

You think Arte told Perry to go spend $5M on Cisnero, Suarez, Plesac, and Kolarek? No, Perry chose to use $5M of his budget on those guys.

You think Arte told Perry to draft Sam Bachman? No. We saw the picture of Perry scouting Bachman in-person. Perry and his staff made the pick.

You think Arte told Perry to hire Joey Prebynski and all the people under the player development umbrella? No, it was Perry.

25 minutes ago, Jason said:

Is it even possible that Minasian has had a lot of restraints placed in him by Arte? 

I think that’s very likely given that Arte hires inexperienced FO executives. We’ll never know for certain, but I would think the decision to keep Ohtani was Arte, as was a directive to add at the last trade deadline. Arte is a marketing and advertising guy. He wants eyeballs on the screen and people in the seats. That can sometimes be at odds with the necessary growing pains of building a sustainable farm system to feed the MLB team. I think Arte’s sudden about face on selling the team hampered Perry’s managerial search, which lead to the lame-duck Nevin season. It looks like this season is finally one where Perry was more or less in the driver’s seat. It’s probably the first real one fans can grade him on. None of this is to defend Perry, per se. His signings were probably his choices, and what he brought to ownership. I just doubt he’s had much free reign.

The core of the Angels moving forward will be because of Perry’s drafting. It’ll be the best core group of young players since the late 90’s early 2000’s. But sure hate him because they have released Suarez and because he only signed bullpen guys.  

Just now, Stradling said:

The core of the Angels moving forward will be because of Perry’s drafting. It’ll be the best core group of young players since the late 90’s early 2000’s. But sure hate him because they have released Suarez and because he only signed bullpen guys.  

I agree that it's hard to accurately judge a GM until 5 to 6 years after his first draft. 

I remember so many Angel fans hating Bill Stoneman, but now he's remembered as arguably the best GM they've ever had.

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

I agree that it's hard to accurately judge a GM until 5 to 6 years after his first draft. 

I remember so many Angel fans hating Bill Stoneman, but now he's remembered as arguably the best GM they've ever had.

Tbf this is mostly because @Inside Pitch schooled our stupid asses for years about him. 

GIF by Foxtel

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’ll be interested to revisit this in 3, 5, 7 years from now.

It’s also possible the Angels will be bad for the next half-decade plus because Perry made bad picks and ran a horrible player development program for 4 seasons.

3 minutes ago, BTH said:

I’ll be interested to revisit this in 3, 5, 7 years from now.

It’s also possible the Angels will be bad for the next half-decade plus because Perry made bad picks and ran a horrible player development program for 4 seasons.

Sure if you say so.  That horrible player development looks like it has at least helped Detmers become a very good major league pitcher, made Thaiss a serviceable back up catcher, turned Ward into a very good player, saw Soriano become a good major league arm, saw big growth in Rengifo, and now it looks like Adell (SSS) has become a good major leaguer.  But of course you are on one, again, so please feel free to continue to emotionally rant. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Sure if you say so.  That horrible player development looks like it has at least helped Detmers become a very good major league pitcher, made Thaiss a serviceable back up catcher, turned Ward into a very good player, saw Soriano become a good major league arm, saw big growth in Rengifo, and now it looks like Adell (SSS) has become a good major leaguer.  But of course you are on one, again, so please feel free to continue to emotionally rant. 

That’s why it’ll be interesting to look back years from now.

Some of the guys you mentioned appeared to stall out, but now are contributing (some in a big way).

Hopefully that’ll be the same for guys who are currently scuffling. Neto, Schanuel, Moniak, Bachman, Paris, Kochanowicz, Mederos, etc.

Edited by BTH