• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Perry is a very not good GM

17 minutes ago, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

Is there ever enough time to tell if a GM is a bust?  

While there may not be enough time to tell if they are a bust there’s certainly a lot of time where it’s too early to tell.  For example, now. Obviously BTH is just a kid and Game6/RBM/Mr. Conrad is a douchebag. 

On 4/26/2024 at 9:21 AM, Jeremiah said:

That’s a definite.  A lot of that goes back to his appointment of Reagins and the subsequent choice of Reagins over Eddie Bane in that particular personality struggle. Firing Bane was a huge error that has probably cost us a lot in terms of the prospect quality. Arte has since then brought in inexperienced GMs who have variously had power struggles with field management, or the owner, and could never get on the same page to create a vision and a culture. That is an organizational disaster. Similarly to his predecessors, Perry cannot get Arte to get out of his own way. Perry doesn’t have the experience or the reputation to tell Arte when to butt out, so you have the multiple failures to move Ohtani after failing to put a quality team around him and Trout, the subsequent trades that gutted an already meh farm system in order entice Ohtani to stay, and an apparent lack of a vision for the long-term future of this organization. You can say that maybe that’s changed this year, but has it? $33M to a middle reliever never made sense. The lack of IF depth is a bit concerning. Wash is a great manager that a lot of people here used to clown regularly, but he’s also 72. How long does he want to rebuild an MLB club? I think there are still way more questions than answers. The team has always played things close to the vest, and that’s their prerogative. With that, however, will come questions about what the organization is doing. When HOU, CHC, and TB we’re losing with a purpose, they were up front about it. If the Angels are now in a similar phase, don’t tell us you’re, “Running the AL West down.” So, yeah, Perry isn’t very good yet. Arte likely won’t stick with him long enough to become a good GM here.

West Coast Peter Angelos

Enough said.

No GM will be able to maximize their potential under Arte.   It'll be business as usual at the deadline when they trade away a few guys for players who have lesser talent because they are closer to being major league ready.  

It appears that Perry has done some nice things from an infrastructure standpoint and there's a decent core in place at the major league level.  

He has been, however, quite bad at two pretty fundamental things that he's certainly had a fair amount of control over.  The bullpen and defense.  Both have been pretty awful and both are things that even with questionable limitations and control, should be a lot better.  

The bullpen in particular has been consistently terrible during his tenure and he's actually done a decent amount of spending in that area.  

I kinda view this as a litmus of his ability.  Like asking a chef to make you an omelet.  

Yeah any GM who comes here is gonna be hindered by the fact they serve under poor ownership, but the things Perry can control have left a lot to be desired, namely, his player evaluations. Moving on from him after the year makes sense, and then as fans we just gotta hope the new GM is better at identifying players and finding values

On 4/26/2024 at 4:23 PM, Taylor said:

I agree that it's hard to accurately judge a GM until 5 to 6 years after his first draft. 

I remember so many Angel fans hating Bill Stoneman, but now he's remembered as arguably the best GM they've ever had.

This july will be his 5th draft. Currently, all but AA are in last place in their divisions. AA is in next to last place. And the Angels are about to drop to last place. Aside from a half dozen guys in the minors, there isn't much talent. Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make it till the end of the season.

25 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

This july will be his 5th draft. Currently, all but AA are in last place in their divisions. AA is in next to last place. And the Angels are about to drop to last place. Aside from a half dozen guys in the minors, there isn't much talent. Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make it till the end of the season.

Not to nitpick but it’ll be his 4th draft. 2021 was his first as GM

17 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

Not to nitpick but it’ll be his 4th draft. 2021 was his first as GM

Yeah, you are right. I knew he was hired in 2020, but it was right after the season ended. My bad, but still no improvement.

3 hours ago, greginpsca said:

I think he'll make it to the end of the season at least, simply because they don't have an obvious interim GM candidate.

They remain the only team in MLB without an assistant GM, who would be the natural candidate for interim GM.

5 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

The bullpen in particular has been consistently terrible during his tenure and he's actually done a decent amount of spending in that area.  

I kinda view this as a litmus of his ability.  Like asking a chef to make you an omelet.  

your post inspired this research I did:

How about Tori?  He certainly has the personal skills along with his first hand  baseball knowledge. Im sure he can pick up the bean counting aspect of the job.Hey if  they hired Reagins with minimal skills why not Hunter. It would be a good look for Arte too. I'd love to see his attitude rub off on this organization.  They desperately need a lifeline. 

6 hours ago, johndw52 said:

How about Tori?  He certainly has the personal skills along with his first hand  baseball knowledge. Im sure he can pick up the bean counting aspect of the job.Hey if  they hired Reagins with minimal skills why not Hunter. It would be a good look for Arte too. I'd love to see his attitude rub off on this organization.  They desperately need a lifeline. 

That's what I was thinking, they could bump Torii into an interim GM spot.

7 hours ago, johndw52 said:

Personally, I don’t see it.  He has never held a front office job, has never been a scout, never negotiated a contract, never dealt with an agent other than his own, was never a farm director or worked in the minor leagues.  Reagins was an intern, worked for the Angels for 20 years, was scouting director before being the GM. He lived in the world of scouting and being in a front office.  Tori was a player. I fully understand that I could be looking at this wrong, but I would MUCH rather have him as the manager, than the GM.  

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

I was called stupid for suggestion Hunter as GM. I'm not the only one who thinks he could be a good GM. No matter what happens Minasian will be gone. Arte will not spend for a top GM nor will one work for him. 

I don’t want any projects.  I would prefer proven performers.  If Moreno being the owner prevents the Angels from hiring someone with a real proven record (or the correct pedigree of front office experience), then I don’t really want to be distracted with the idea of hiring a past player that everybody likes as a consolation prize.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

I don’t want any projects.  I would prefer proven performers.  If Moreno being the owner prevents the Angels from hiring someone with a real proven record (or the correct pedigree of front office experience), then I don’t really want to be distracted with the idea of hiring a past player that everybody likes as a consolation prize.

I agree with this. I think it’s long past time to bring in a GM or a PBO who knows how to build a baseball ops department from the foundation up. They also need someone who can work with Arte, and tell him when to just let the baseball people do the baseball things, while Arte and Carpino do the business things. 

As for Hunter, I’m glad he’s back in the organization. I think he’s best utilized as a voice and mentor in the clubhouse. I think he has a lot wisdom to offer the team’s young core.

12 hours ago, johndw52 said:

No -- absolutely not.

The game has changed a ton in the past 10-15 years. The best front offices have a deep understanding in physics and data analytics. It is good to have baseball guys around, especially on the field and in support roles, but they are super unqualified to be in charge of the entire operation. 

And just to be clear, I love Hunter.  What a great dude with the right vibes and a leader and all that. But what happens is fans fall in love with a player and then they almost insatiably want somehow to plug back into those feelings for another round of love fest.  The player is too old to play now, so they just decide the player should be put into some other role.  “Bring back Torii!”

Obviously some past players can absolutely be the best hire into other roles.  But that really should happen when the past player has built a post-playing resume for the specific job being discussed, rather than their leading qualification being “It’s Torii!”

Torii in a coaching role, or special assistant (to get the right experience), or in some other PR role, an announcing gig. . .   Sure, yeah, all day.

As the next GM?  Please no.  I don’t want a move based on name recognition.  I want a proven, savvy, bad ass GM that we know can step in and run this team the right way, not a dude I like that I hope can do it because he is one of my favorites from the past.

Can Torii someday be a good GM?  I don’t know, maybe?  But his name recognition should really only be a tiebreaker in a hire, not the reason he is a candidate in the first place.

Edited by Dtwncbad

6 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

I was called stupid for suggestion Hunter as GM. I'm not the only one who thinks he could be a good GM. No matter what happens Minasian will be gone. Arte will not spend for a top GM nor will one work for him. 

What do you base this on? 

17 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

As the next GM?  Please no.  I don’t want a move based on name recognition.  I want a proven, savvy, bad ass GM that we know can step in and run this team the right way, not a dude I like that I hope can do it because he is one of my favorites from the past.

This will never happen under Arte. 

I'm guessing this is how GM interviews go for the Angels:

GM CANDIDATE 1: "I'd like to come here, love the weather, Trout, etc. But I'm getting other offers, and I want to be sure that I have full control over baseball operations."

ARTE: "Get outta here."

GM CANDIDATE 2: "I don't really have any other options or experience beyond hanging out with smarter people. But I really want this job and will do whatever it takes, even if that means serving your megalomania."

ARTE: "Sign here."

7 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm guessing this is how GM interviews go for the Angels:

GM CANDIDATE 1: "I'd like to come here, love the weather, Trout, etc. But I'm getting other offers, and I want to be sure that I have full control over baseball operations."

ARTE: "Get outta here."

GM CANDIDATE 2: "I don't really have any other options or experience beyond hanging out with smarter people. But I really want this job and will do whatever it takes, even if that means serving your megalomania."

ARTE: "Welcome aboard, Perry."

Modified slightly.

On 4/28/2024 at 5:38 PM, Docwaukee said:

No GM will be able to maximize their potential under Arte.   It'll be business as usual at the deadline when they trade away a few guys for players who have lesser talent because they are closer to being major league ready.  

It appears that Perry has done some nice things from an infrastructure standpoint and there's a decent core in place at the major league level.  

He has been, however, quite bad at two pretty fundamental things that he's certainly had a fair amount of control over.  The bullpen and defense.  Both have been pretty awful and both are things that even with questionable limitations and control, should be a lot better.  

I hope the fact that the Angels drew 141k for the Twins series doesn't motivate Arte to tighten the belt further