• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Manager / GM Candidates

Hubs

35 minutes ago, Trendon said:

75% certain that Nevin stays feels insanely high.

It’s not a question of whether to fire Nevin— it’s a question of whether to give him another contract.

I don’t see what he has done to deserve another contract.

Maybe there's nothing you or I can see that screams "Give this guy another contract", but I think what matters here is whether Perry is confident with executing his vision on the field, and whether he thinks the final record is a disappointment considering the injuries.  If he makes his call on a manager now, that puts all eyes on him in his contract year in 2024.

3 minutes ago, mmc said:

Maybe there's nothing you or I can see that screams "Give this guy another contract", but I think what matters here is whether Perry is confident with executing his vision on the field, and whether he thinks the final record is a disappointment considering the injuries.  If he makes his call on a manager now, that puts all eyes on him in his contract year in 2024.

I don’t think Perry alone will be making the decision.

I think Arte’s going to be a factor, and that’ll help push Nevin out.

8 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I don’t think Perry alone will be making the decision.

I think Arte’s going to be a factor, and that’ll help push Nevin out.

Your takes on this are going to look awful in a few months.  But since you are posting with the emotions of a teen age girl, its bound to bite you in the butt eventually.   Pro tip....Just stop. 

4 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Your takes on this are going to look awful in a few months.  But since you are posting with the emotions of a teen age girl, its bound to bite you in the butt eventually.   Pro tip....Just stop. 

Look in the mirror, pal.

We’ll revisit this in two months and see who is right.

If you’re right and Nevin is back for 2024, I’ll self-ban on here for a month.

20 minutes ago, mmc said:

Big deal.  He fired Maddon which put all eyes on him already. 

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

Look in the mirror, pal.

We’ll revisit this in two months and see who is right.

If you’re right and Nevin is back for 2024, I’ll self-ban on here for a month.

Please don't self ban, that would make Strad's takes the most awful on the board, and we can't have our mod in that situation.

1 minute ago, Swordsman78 said:

Please don't self ban, that would make Strad's takes the most awful on the board, and we can't have our mod in that situation.

Look, you even putting me in a discussion of worst takes while you swallow Nevin inch by inch all day, every day is the most hypocritical take on the board and this board has Cali.  

5 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Dude, when it comes to Nevin you are the teenage girl at the Taylor Swift concert.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

75% certain that Nevin stays feels insanely high.

It’s not a question of whether to fire Nevin— it’s a question of whether to give him another contract.

I don’t see what he has done to deserve another contract.

I think this is the wrong way to approach it.

the question you should be asking isn’t “what has he done to prove he deserves another contract?” But rather, has he proven he is capable of sticking up for his players, motivating them when necessary, and holding them accountable?

I would say yes. Bring him back. Just looking at how many games they won or lost in a vacuum isn’t adequate.

5 hours ago, Hubs said:

Yes, but so had last years, and people were quick to want to forgive Nevin for that. But Maddon got fired after a losing streak?

Maddon got fired because of two factors:

1. If was getting fired at end of year if he didn't make the playoffs.

2.  Since he wasn't  coming back, they could gamble on the firing spark the team to snap out of their funk.  Like Phili last year.

2 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

the question you should be asking isn’t “what has he done to prove he deserves another contract?” But rather, has he proven he is capable of sticking up for his players, motivating them when necessary, and holding them accountable?

Still, I don’t think the answers to those questions are yes.

The team has looked dead for over a week. And that’s after they had a horrible stretch before the All-Star break.

He called them out last night, and they show up with another pathetic display today.

13 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Still, I don’t think the answers to those questions are yes.

The team has looked dead for over a week. And that’s after they had a horrible stretch before the All-Star break.

He called them out last night, and they show up with another pathetic display today.

@Swordsman78, the Nevin signal has been activated! Your help is needed urgently! 

13 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Nevin can’t be blamed for the Angels 2023.  The injuries were brutal.

But that doesn’t mean he automatically keeps his job for next year.  He doesn’t have the track record of success to enjoy that luxury.

It is perfectly fair to be on the hunt for an upgrade at manager, and if you find one you don’t hesitate.

They won't find one.  And won't be looking too hard either 

On 8/15/2023 at 4:44 PM, Swordsman78 said:

The most Angel thing ever is they fire both Perry and Nevin (both of which get picked up by the Rockies), and then the Rockies get to the World Series  in 2024 

The team we beat 25-1 at home? Yah. You love you some MInasian / Nevin. Colorado is so far from contending, I don't think they'll field a winner before like 2030 at the earliest.

18th Ranked Farm System, which is better than I thought. But other than Dollander, they don't have a pitching prospect in their top 10 prospects. They have a terrible staff and its Colorado, so its hard to develop pitchers.

On 8/15/2023 at 12:10 PM, Just Sayin said:

Minassian sold Moreno a bill of goods. 

I can take him or leave him.

Take a look at Nevin.  Look closely at his background.  Did he win as a player?  Did he win as a manager?   Being fair….he was a good player.  ONE team he played on qualified for post season, and were swept. 

There are who Players who MIGHT respond to his style…but not this group.  

If you wanna keep Ohtani…hire Ichiro. You can deliver a gut-punch to a division rival by doing so.  Ichiro will probably end up managing the club in Seattle.

His English is so-so. Big deal.  Nobody listens to the manager anyways these days.  

Hell…hire the Japanese National baseball Team to fill the roster.  I bet THEY could play .500 ball.

Ohtani can’t lead if he can’t speak to anybody without an interpreter.  Surround him with a few of his boys maybe what he does will get contagious.

Wasn't  he on the Angels team that lost to White Sox in the ALCS?

On 8/15/2023 at 6:21 PM, Stradling said:

Minasian will be back, but I would be very surprised if Nevin is brought back.  He was given a one year contract in what they thought was a transition year between owners.  Now that that isn’t the case, a new manager will be brought in, unless of course Arte sells.  I would not be at all surprised to see him sell the team regardless of whether or not he re-signs Ohtani.  

This is another thing I don't have a really strong opinion on.  I don't think he's done a poor job, I don't think he's done anything that really screams OMG extend him.  But the players do seem to like him and he's shown he can be a bit of both the old school and new school.

It may ultimately come down to how well he's followed the orders sent down from above.