• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Manager / GM Candidates

Hubs

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Celebrity managers are a thing of the past. Nowadays the GM wants to run the show with analytics etc. and the field manager has to be willing to accept that.

Thats the problem.  They play the game like its a video game.  So long as they do that it doesn't matter who the manager is.  If thats the case bring up Erstad, fan favorite.

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

Thats the problem.  They play the game like its a video game.  So long as they do that it doesn't matter who the manager is.  If thats the case bring up Erstad, fan favorite.

FFS why does Erstad’s name come up over and over and over and over and over again? He isn’t a candidate, never was a candidate and has never indicated he would ever even be remotely interested in doing anything other than what he is doing now.  In fact I think he has said “I have no interest” if I recall correctly.

The guy played for this team like 17 years ago and had a reputation for being a grinder, so fans liked him.  Is that really all it takes to be permanently the automatic knee-jerk reaction to who should manage this team?

Be a “hustle” player for a couple of years and you are forever a managerial candidate?  Is that about how it works?

15 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

FFS why does Erstad’s name come up over and over and over and over and over again? He isn’t a candidate, never was a candidate and has never indicated he would ever even be remotely interested in doing anything other than what he is doing now.  In fact I think he has said “I have no interest” if I recall correctly.

The guy played for this team like 17 years ago and had a reputation for being a grinder, so fans liked him.  Is that really all it takes to be permanently the automatic knee-jerk reaction to who should manage this team?

Be a “hustle” player for a couple of years and you are forever a managerial candidate?  Is that about how it works?

Remind me to bring up Erstad's name every couple weeks just to get a reaction from Dtwncbad.

3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Did you read my comment or just comprehended "hire Erstad".

My point is if the front office is going to micromanage in game decisions because of analytics (in otherwords like playing a video game) then bring in Erstad because he is a fan favorite.

If you want to hire a proven winner at manager (like Maddon ironically) then you need to let him manage.  If you are going to let analytics micromanage the games then any dumbass can put on a uniform and pat the players on the back or scream at them. Whichever the case maybe.

3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

He was a runner up for the Dodgers job a few years back. Dodger PBO said he was really impressed with his interview. So, yeah he has shown interest in the recent past.

2 hours ago, stormngt said:

Did you read my comment or just comprehended "hire Erstad".

My point is if the front office is going to micromanage in game decisions because of analytics (in otherwords like playing a video game) then bring in Erstad because he is a fan favorite.

If you want to hire a proven winner at manager (like Maddon ironically) then you need to let him manage.  If you are going to let analytics micromanage the games then any dumbass can put on a uniform and pat the players on the back or scream at them. Whichever the case maybe.

Nobody can read your comments. Google isn’t advanced enough to decipher whatever language you type in. 

40 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

In 1961 who was Gene Autrey first choice to be manager. It was manager Yankees fired after 1960 season. He declined but in 1962 became first manager of NY Mets.

70 year old Casey Stengel, fired from the Yankees ostensibly for being too old (70). In reality, they wanted to promote Ralph Houk after blowing the 1960 Series as big favorites to the Pirates. Casey sat out a year, reappeared with the Mets and became more known for his sarcastic comments on his Mets expansion team than for all the pennants and series he won. 

In the interim, the 1961 year that Casey sat out, the Yankees had their historic Maris/Mantle season. And of course, the Angels preceded the Mets by a year as the American League expansion team. 

Here's an autographed program from that  Yankee team from my collection. All the players except Mantle, Maris and Howard signed it. But I have separate autographs of each of them as part of a display. 

IMG_20230912_144434_938.jpg

11 minutes ago, ArkyAngelsFan said:

Yeah, I haven't read a rant that good in quite some time. Kudos Dtwnbad for bringing the goods with that one!!

~ArkyAngelsFan~

Yeah it was kinda ranty.  Sorta felt like trying to have a conversation about the KC Chiefs and having somebody immediately bring up Taylor Swift.  It could get to you.