• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Manager / GM Candidates

Hubs

People seem to like Nevin on here for some reason, and take Minasian's side against Joe Maddon. But this team is headed for a full regime change. Most blame Arte, but this isn't all on the owner. Yeah, he may not hire well, but despite Perry's decent trades and some good signings, this team is not good. Injuries, yes, but this is not all on injuries.

I tried to be optimistic, all year long, but three straight second half collapses, (well last year was in end of May, but still a collapse)... three straight losing records and three straight seasons where the team doesn't look like its getting any better? Minasian is getting fired. Nevin will not be back.

Since Scioscia left, this team has been BAD. You can say the last four years of Scioscia weren't great, (he also dealt with a lot of pitching injuries). But the record certainly speaks for itself. 

2019 -- 72-90. 

2020 -- 26-34 (which is a 70-92 pace).

2021 -- 77-85.

2022 -- 73-89

2023 -- 59-61 (80 win pace, but I doubt they finish that high).

Scioscia's last 10 years 

2018 -- 80-82

2017 -- 80-82

2016 -- 74-88

2015 -- 85-77

2014 -- 98-64 (best record in MLB).

2013 -- 78-84

2012 -- 89-73

2011 -- 86-76

2010 -- 80-82

2009 -- 97-65

SO who is a good GM or Manager Candidate for next year and beyond?

Edited by Hubs

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm reminded of stories about despotic kings who constantly change their generals and such, because they're not happy with outcomes that ultimately have more to do with their leadership than those under them.

So my only response: It doesn't matter, at least as long as Arte has significant input. Let the baseball people do baseball. I have criticisms of Perry Minasian, but I'd like to see what he can do if given time and freedom. Let him decide on the manager, and see if he can turn things in the right direction. 

I doubt Arte keeps Perry on. He hired Nevin to be his puppet. (And before Swordsman gives me shit, I believe what Maddon wrote in his book. Even more so after they pulled Ohtani for Stefanic in the game I was at in Toronto for CRAMPS....Montgomery being Bench coach...reinforces the bullpen Matrix bullshit) They need to hire someone like Theo Epstein as President of the Club. Let him pick the GM, let him pick the new manager. 

Nevin can’t be blamed for the Angels 2023.  The injuries were brutal.

But that doesn’t mean he automatically keeps his job for next year.  He doesn’t have the track record of success to enjoy that luxury.

It is perfectly fair to be on the hunt for an upgrade at manager, and if you find one you don’t hesitate.

I'm just gonna repeat what i've said on here multiple times.

If you expect to become a successful franchise, while also thinking that firing and re-hiring a new GM every 3 years is going to result in a sustainable model...

Well, you're in for more of the same.

I don't think Arte sees anything except bottom line success. He made Eppler fired Ausmus after the team slumped, and he knows things have been rough after Perry fired his handpicked manager in Maddon. He saw the team go through this, when the Manager and GM weren't on the same page, and doesn't want that to happen again, but I doubt he lets Minasian stay. He is under contract for 2024, but...I doubt he's back.

26 minutes ago, Hubs said:

SO who is a good GM or Manager Candidate for next year and beyond?

Depends if Perry is still GM or if he also gets fired.

The two need to work seamlessly.

So if they fire both, they better hire the GM first and then let that guy pick the manager.

And if Perry is kept, he better get full autonomy to pick his manager after a full, comprehensive search.

Some names that make sense…

If Perry is GM: Walt Weiss, Ron Washington, Sal Fasano, John Farrell, Will Venable, Troy Snitker, DeMarlo Hale.

If they look for a new GM: Sig Mejdal, Jon Daniels, Carlos Rodriguez, Josh Brynes, Craig Breslow.

Just now, Hubs said:

I don't think Arte sees anything except bottom line success. He made Eppler fired Ausmus after the team slumped, and he knows things have been rough after Perry fired his handpicked manager in Maddon. He saw the team go through this, when the Manager and GM weren't on the same page, and doesn't want that to happen again, but I doubt he lets Minasian stay. He is under contract for 2024, but...I doubt he's back.

And it's entirely possible that Arte sells the team (or the majority of the team) quickly in the offseason. I actually think he'd stay on as a minority owner if given the chance.

3 minutes ago, Hubs said:

And it's entirely possible that Arte sells the team (or the majority of the team) quickly in the offseason. I actually think he'd stay on as a minority owner if given the chance.

None of the offseason questions can be answered until we know whether he is in for the long haul or will put the team back on the market....since the playoff push has fallen flat, I don't know what he will do.....we'll see....

4 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Hubs (aka Scioscia lover) trying to stir the pot. 

Hey Hubs, 2002 called and they aren't giving you their manager.

Both Perry and Nevin will be back.   We can turn that page and focus on finding a roster that can stay on the field and has enough heart to fight for a pennant.

I'll bet you a beer that neither will be back. Actually two beers. One for each of them.

Edited by Hubs

5 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I think he gives Perry one more year, and then fires him if it goes bad.

The question is whether Arte will hire his own guy as manager or if he’ll let Perry pick his own guy.

Arte likes to deflect blame away from him.

After 2018, Scioscia was gone.

After 2019, Ausmus was gone.

After 2020, Eppler was gone.

After 2021 and part of 2022, Maddon was gone.

So he’ll make Nevin the scapegoat and have Perry as his scapegoat if 2024 goes badly.

Just now, DMVol said:

None of the offseason questions can be answered until we know whether he is in for the long haul or will put the team back on the market....since the playoff push has fallen flat, I don't know what he will do.....we'll see....

And I agree here. However, I dont think the team goes "back on the market" per se. They have a group or several groups who made pretty complete offers. He could just call them all back, say best and final, and I want to retain 10%-20%. And then one of them will take him up on that. And be done. 

2 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Unless we hear otherwise, the logical assumption is that the team is not on the market.

8 minutes ago, Hubs said:

And I agree here. However, I dont think the team goes "back on the market" per se. They have a group or several groups who made pretty complete offers. He could just call them all back, say best and final, and I want to retain 10%-20%. And then one of them will take him up on that. And be done. 

I just don't buy the minority owner thing, but I may be wrong....when you have run the show for 20 years, it would  be hard to take a back seat...

1 minute ago, DMVol said:

I just don't buy the minority owner thing, but I may be wrong....when you have run the show for 20 years, it would  be hard to take a back seat...

He was a minority owner for the D'backs before he bought control of the Angels. He decided he didn't want to sell, but I can see that being the compromise.