• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Manager / GM Candidates

Hubs

6 minutes ago, mmc said:

Who said Montgomery was going to be manager?  Also you know absolutely nothing about whatever “Minasian calling games from the field” even means.  It’s been reported by Jeff and others that all in game decisions have been left to the managers.  The arrogance you speak with in your posts claiming to know exactly what’s going on when it’s been proven you know incredibly little is absurd

I don't know what's going on, but I do know what I've read. And what has been reported has been that Perry is controlling things from the front office. Now you may not believe Maddon, but that's what he said. And the fact that he put a Bench Coach (Montgomery) in Maddon's Dugout in his first year as GM, so he'd have influence...which was stated by Maddon, and again you choose not to believe him and believe what you think instead. Then he re-hired the interim manager, with no experience, under the guise of the impending sale, so he'd have a manager he could control.

Perry was just waiting for a reason to fire Maddon, and it was a bad decision, in my opinion.

To me when something is reported as being a duck, then walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's not a cat. It's a duck.

And one other note, I've been posting here and writing for this site since 2004. When you were maybe what 4? So maybe a little respect instead of being constantly confrontational and an arrogant know-it-all yourself. Just because you live on this board and post nearly every breaking news as soon as it's reported doesn't mean you yourself have any idea what's going on you just have twitter alerts set and this page constantly in a tab on your browser.... 

You and I don't agree and thats fine, but hey, no need to call me arrogant or my posts absurd. I don't call you out on your posts, I just disagree with them. OK?

3 minutes ago, Hubs said:

And FYI, here's one of Maddon's bits about working with Minasian, and Minasian's response. https://www.si.com/mlb/angels/news/angels-news-gm-perry-minasian-responds-to-claims-from-joe-maddons-tell-all-book

I haven’t read it but Joe was awful and when he left last year the defense and pitching improved. Joe is a self absorbed asshole so reading how he was wronged will not move the needle on how I feel about him. He came in as the ultimate players manager and left as the guy who intentionally walked a guy with bases loaded and got a Mohawk. 

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I haven’t read it but Joe was awful and when he left last year the defense and pitching improved. Joe is a self absorbed asshole so reading how he was wronged will not move the needle on how I feel about him. He came in as the ultimate players manager and left as the guy who intentionally walked a guy with bases loaded and got a Mohawk. 

Did it? I mean, they finished 14 games under .500 in the remaining 106 games. But ok.

I mean, you can give Maddon shit for his sometimes weird decisions, but the overreaching is ridiculous. Perry should just name himself Manager if he wants to control the lineup and the strategy in game.

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

Did it? I mean, they finished 14 games under .500 in the remaining 106 games. But ok.

I mean, you can give Maddon shit for his sometimes weird decisions, but the overreaching is ridiculous. Perry should just name himself Manager if he wants to control the lineup and the strategy in game.

Why do you like to blatantly make shit up and present it as fact?

Just now, Hubs said:

What the fuck are you talking about? Seriously bro go outside and do something besides this board. 

All of my posts are my opinions, I'm sorry I'm not phrasing them with "In my opinion" before every comment. Seriously you're being a confrontational asshole.

17 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I don't know what's going on, but I do know what I've read. And what has been reported has been that Perry is controlling things from the front office. Now you may not believe Maddon, but that's what he said. And the fact that he put a Bench Coach (Montgomery) in Maddon's Dugout in his first year as GM, so he'd have influence...which was stated by Maddon, and again you choose not to believe him and believe what you think instead. Then he re-hired the interim manager, with no experience, under the guise of the impending sale, so he'd have a manager he could control.

Perry was just waiting for a reason to fire Maddon, and it was a bad decision, in my opinion.

To me when something is reported as being a duck, then walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's not a cat. It's a duck.

And one other note, I've been posting here and writing for this site since 2004. When you were maybe what 4? So maybe a little respect instead of being constantly confrontational and an arrogant know-it-all yourself. Just because you live on this board and post nearly every breaking news as soon as it's reported doesn't mean you yourself have any idea what's going on you just have twitter alerts set and this page constantly in a tab on your browser.... 

You and I don't agree and thats fine, but hey, no need to call me arrogant or my posts absurd. I don't call you out on your posts, I just disagree with them. OK?

Sorry that challenging you when you post stuff that makes no sense hurts your feelings.  And no, I don’t think I know everything, however when I’m going off of what our reporters say and you’re going off of Maddon’s book, I do think I know more than you 

12 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Yes it did improve. 

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

In April and May 2022 they scored 236 and allowed 202, adding in the next 7 games makes it 247 and allowing 237, which should still have been a positive win loss record with a differential of +10. So Maddon was either a bit unlucky or a bad manager, your opinion, I guess. 

4.41 RS and 4.23 RA. 

After that point, they scored 376 and allowed 431. This season they scored 739 and allowed 829.

3.54 RS after Nevin took over and 4.07 RA.

Pitching was slightly better after Nevin took over I guess, but even worse this year. 

4.56 RS and 5.12 RA this year. Offense is up and some of that is pitch clock and larger bases I guess, I'd have to look at the league wide stats to see how much better or worse...

Blame Injuries if you want for the pitching.... Nevin and Minasian calling down, to me is a terrible combo. But that's just my opinion.

18 minutes ago, mmc said:

Sorry that challenging you when you post stuff that makes no sense hurts your feelings.  And no, I don’t think I know everything, however when I’m going off of what our reporters say and you’re going off of Maddon’s book, I do think I know more than you 

It doesn't hurt my feelings. You just dont need to be that confrontational or "call me out" just say you disagree and that the reporters back you up. I feel that Reporters aren't in the dugout or in meetings between the GM. And Perry won't say he didn't like Joe, and that they had issues. Joe didn't like Perry. 

Scioscia and Dipoto had the same issues, if you remember, and Scioscia won. We all laugh at DiPoto now, and that's what I think is gonna happen to Perry.

28 minutes ago, Hubs said:

In April and May 2022 they scored 236 and allowed 202, adding in the next 7 games makes it 247 and allowing 237, which should still have been a positive win loss record with a differential of +10. So Maddon was either a bit unlucky or a bad manager, your opinion, I guess. 

4.41 RS and 4.23 RA. 

After that point, they scored 376 and allowed 431. This season they scored 739 and allowed 829.

3.54 RS after Nevin took over and 4.07 RA.

Pitching was slightly better after Nevin took over I guess, but even worse this year. 

4.56 RS and 5.12 RA this year. Offense is up and some of that is pitch clock and larger bases I guess, I'd have to look at the league wide stats to see how much better or worse...

Blame Injuries if you want for the pitching.... Nevin and Minasian calling down, to me is a terrible combo. But that's just my opinion.

I saw an old post where we were discussing the infamous Bullpen Matrix from Alex Tamin that @Stradling used OPS + for the season and I'm assuming ERA + for the season to compare 2021 and 2022, which was identical....

In 2022, the Hitting was +93 and in 2023 it was +100, so it was below average and then went to average. Pitching was +107 and went to +97. So it obviously declined.

They can do better with both with their current roster. Give me an experienced Manager and a GM who knows how to set his team up for success instead of being a micro-manager.

34 minutes ago, Hubs said:

It doesn't hurt my feelings. You just dont need to be that confrontational or "call me out" just say you disagree and that the reporters back you up. I feel that Reporters aren't in the dugout or in meetings between the GM. And Perry won't say he didn't like Joe, and that they had issues. Joe didn't like Perry. 

Scioscia and Dipoto had the same issues, if you remember, and Scioscia won. We all laugh at DiPoto now, and that's what I think is gonna happen to Perry.

Unlike Maddon, Sosh was both not an asshole and a good manager while he was here.  So no, I don’t see why anyone (including yourself) would now or in the future take Maddon’s side

All the bickering about a team that is a total mess. Will get new manager this year and new GM year after. Playing losing baseball last 8 years and going into this off season without any direction. Perry will sign another Loup and Tepera this off season. Overpay for a Giolito so the misery will continue. Angels missed big opportunity at trade deadline and not trading Ohtani among others. Trading away 2 of their top prospects to further empty what little was in farm system. This off season will be more of the same as Angel's trying to compete for a playoff spot. Trout and Rendon need to be healthy will once again be playing at your local ballpark in 2024. 

Just now, Angels 1961 said:

All the bickering about a team that is a total mess. Will get new manager this year and new GM year after. Playing losing baseball last 8 years and going into this off season without any direction. Perry will sign another Loup and Tepera this off season. Overpay for a Giolito so the misery will continue. Angels missed big opportunity at trade deadline and not trading Ohtani among others. Trading away 2 of their top prospects to further empty what little was in farm system. This off season will be more of the same as Angel's trying to compete for a playoff spot. Trout and Rendon need to be healthy will once again be playing at your local ballpark in 2024. 

You complain about the complaining and then proceed to complain the same complaint you have complained about already 500 times.

You are a gem.

5 hours ago, mmc said:

Experience in a manager is incredibly overrated

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Understandable that someone with no experience would think that.

I speak to people still in the game quite a bit and they all pretty much say the game has changed so much and it's become so scripted that the sorts of managers that used to be viewed as impactful 30 years ago are now viewed as impactful in the opposite directionm that it opens them up to much more criticism than it used to.  There's also a lot of dumbing down that's just eroded that need for experience other than being able to keep guys loose and the sort.

Imagine Mike Scioscia not using Percy today?  The noise wouldn't have ended with him asking everyone in the room to raise their hand if they thought he should have brought him in -- I genuinely miss that sort of stuff.

Everyone is always yapping about robo-umps, but there's a really good chance that end up impacting the catching position a lot more than people realize, particularly given how many teams script the pitcher's gameplan. My guess is teams will gravitate towards more offense like they always will when possible -- the fans will love it but the game will lose just a little bit more.

3 hours ago, greginpsca said:

Seems that these days qualifications to be a manager ,one only needs to be able to take orders from the GM and Analytics department.

Probably true but I don't think they no longer value the old school guys at all  

I think the ideal candidate is someone who can get through to guys and take the front office (the analytics dept) message and turn it into results -- we saw first hand how Doug White failed there.

I can see guys like Nevin and the sort becoming the sort of bench coaches/coaches who make a life out of being that guy that can say and do and act in a way that might fire guys up or lose his shit while the guy with the spreadsheets sits back and plots the gameplan.

Honestly, I think it's dull, it's a style of game I'm not fond of but it's how the game is played and failing to do so might be akin to showing up to a gunfight with a knife.

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

Slightly. But the offense cratered and I think SP Runs went up while BP went down. 

Do you really believe this stuff?  You're throwing these things out there devoid of context.   Did the bullpen tire due to excessive usage early on?  Was the lineup they rolled out there when it cratered the same 9 people they were putting on the field when it was performing better?  There are a lot of variables at play that you are completely glossing over while at the same time dismissing how differently the defense played post Maddon.

These are weak arguments that don't really require a lot of effort to dismiss as noise.

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

Do you really believe this stuff?  You're throwing these things out there devoid of context.   Did the bullpen tire due to excessive usage early on?  Was the lineup they rolled out there when it cratered the same 9 people they were putting on the field when it was performing better?  There are a lot of variables at play that you are completely glossing over while at the same time dismissing how differently the defense played post Maddon.

These are weak arguments that don't really require a lot of effort to dismiss as noise.

I mean, ya? It's really a post hoc ergo propter hoc argument either way. You say early bullpen usage tired the BP out, and they had a matrix, so either manager had the same resources. 

Injuries obviously affected who was playing, I just think they are a convenient excuse for the Maddon haters and Minasian fans. I understand that most on here like Minasian and don't like Maddon and a lot didn't like Scioscia in the end. 

But the worst Angels teams I've personally seen coached were by Terry Collins, Brad Ausmus, and Phil Nevin. 

12 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Probably true but I don't think they no longer value the old school guys at all  

I think the ideal candidate is someone who can get through to guys and take the front office (the analytics dept) message and turn it into results -- we saw first hand how Doug White failed there.

I can see guys like Nevin and the sort becoming the sort of bench coaches/coaches who make a life out of being that guy that can say and do and act in a way that might fire guys up or lose his shit while the guy with the spreadsheets sits back and plots the gameplan.

Honestly, I think it's dull, it's a style of game I'm not fond of but it's how the game is played and failing to do so might be akin to showing up to a gunfight with a knife.

This is exactly how I feel, what are we arguing about?

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

I mean, ya? It's really a post hoc ergo propter hoc argument either way. You say early bullpen usage tired the BP out, and they had a matrix, so either manager had the same resources. 

Injuries obviously affected who was playing, I just think they are a convenient excuse for the Maddon haters and Minasian fans. I understand that most on here like Minasian and don't like Maddon and a lot didn't like Scioscia in the end. 

But the worst Angels teams I've personally seen coached were by Terry Collins, Brad Ausmus, and Phil Nevin. 

During Maddon's term he managed almost as if he were trying to prove everyone wrong about how analytics were important and seat of the pants was the answer.

Then he did dumb shit like intentionally walk a go ahead run in with a guy that was neither on a hot streak or a feared hitter.

His defensive alignments went completely counter to what the metrics said to do and the Angels paid for it in offering free hits and runs through reverse shifts Maddon thought were genius. He was a fucking disaster. It wasn't just that he rejected the analytics, he managed to spite them and earned a well deserved firing.

And if you think he was right then take a look at the other 29 teams that have not offered him a position and it's not like he announced he was retired like Scioscia did. He wrote a book but was it fact or fiction?